Today is the one year anniversary of the uber helpful Insecure Writer's Support Group website. If you haven't had the chance to stop by and visit, you're missing out on a wealth of information exclusively for writers, no matter what stage you're in.
Big congrats to IWSG admin because you guys are just rockin' it. I'm talkin' HARDCORE. Ya with me??
(one of my all time fave movies :) )
Today is also the day bloggers post their entries for the IWSG anthology on writing, publishing, and marketing.
*permission to use in the publication of this anthology
PK Hrezo - YA and NA author
Follow me : http://down-the-rabbithole.com
On Creative Marketing
Over the last five years I've studied the craft of writing religiously, absorbing every nugget and kernel of wisdom, advice, technique that I possibly could. In return, I've become a halfway decent writer--an expert by no means, but then, that's the thing about writing ... there's always opportunity to grow.
Honing craft is good and important, but there comes a time in a writer's career when they have to shift the focus from craft to marketing. We all wish books would simply sell themselves, and that word of mouth would whip readers into a frenzy over our books. Fact is, that's rare. In this brave new world of publishing, authors absolutely must market their books themselves, regardless of being traditionally or independently published. But it doesn't have to be grueling, or give you a dirty feeling.
It can actually be quite fun! Think outside the box. Get creative. We're writers, creating is what we do. That shouldn't stop when it comes time to market our work. We're not pushing insurance. We are treating potential readers to entertainment that we ourselves adore. Embrace this opportunity to find readers and share your art. It's fun and rewarding, and you, in turn, are rewarded with sales and true fans.
Use your creative marketing ideas to reach new readers and keep older ones. In addition, follow these tips to ensure you keep a momentum:
- Draw up a marketing plan (You can't do this too early. Have one, and add to it as you ready your story.)
- Commit to building a fanbase of 1000 readers over the next five years.
- Create a newsletter or email list.
- Make sure all of your social media and published works funnel into your email list.
- Be regular on your social media platforms. Pick your top three and stick to them.
- Focus on building genuine relationships, not on getting people to buy your book.
- Find ways to help others. (This is the purest way to get noticed and establish genuine relationships.)
- Make mistakes (It's okay and the only way we learn, so try new things and learn from them when they don't work.)
- Respond to fans, readers, followers by name. (Show them you're a real person, not a snooty author.)
- Target your audience, then go where they are and be visible, helpful, and available.
- Offer to guest post on other blogs (Always leave a link to your website or email list ... remember the funnel!)
- Read marketing guide books like Let's Get Visible, Write.Publish.Repeat.,Your First 1000 Copies. There are plenty on the market. Glean all you can from these experienced authors.
Those are just a few basics to get you started. Remember, marketing is only fun if we make it fun. If you're not enjoying your own marketing, no one else will either. When we're first starting out, no endeavor is too small. Try everything, be genuine, and keep revising your marketing plan.
Being an author is no get-rich-quick scheme. It's a slow build, and only the strong survive. It's also sheer joy connecting with new people who enjoy our work, so hold onto them and keep them invested in your products, as well as yourself as a person and author.
Thanks again to the IWSG crew for this awesome anthology!
On a side note, I'd like to welcome all of you to the revamped and sparkly NA Alley blog for all things in the New Adult category.
I'm excited for what this means--that authors are stepping out and showing the world NA encompasses all genres, and I hope you'll pop over and visit because NA Alley would love to have you!