Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It's Not A Race!

I hear myself saying those exact words to my kids all the time. My four and five year old are VERY compettitive and they don't quite get it that being done with something sooner does not make it better.

I was reminded exactly why this same rule applies to writing when I read Chip MacGregor's blog post today. If you haven't read it yet, take a moment to do so. It's a guest post by another agent at his agency, Amanda Luedeke.

I love how she states "This isn't a race, folks. There are no extra points for finishing first. But there are extra points for finishing with a publishable manuscript. Don't query until the ms is perfect. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache."

I know sometimes I get so excited about my work that I think it's ready after the first revision and I sneak some queries out there just to get a feel. But Chip's post is such a great reminder why that's not a good idea. Check out the full post!

A big, heartfelt welcome to my new followers! I'm SO glad you're here!

WriteOnCon was a great chat last night. If you missed it, be sure to check out the transcripts for some very positive info. You can find Chip MacGregor's blog as well as the WriteOnCon site to the right in my blogroll.

Tune in tomorrow for my Wednesday Weekly Bloggrs Unite Spotlight ..... Could be you in the spotlight!

8 comments:

LTM said...

I often keep up w/Chip's blog--he provides great info. And I'm def. planning to check out that transcript... wish I could've participated! Did you see I left you a little something on my blog...? ;p

Serena said...

very true, whats the link for chips page so i can take a peek?

PK Hrezo said...

Serena, the link is on the right in my blogroll... here it is:

http://chipmacgregor.typepad.com/main/

Kittie Howard said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by, your fab comment, and for following me. I'm most happy to follow you. You've got a great blog going here!!

About Macedonia...I've spent much time there, speak the language fairly well (read the Cyrillic fluently), and have heard so many heartbreak stories. The country's so dysfunctional the people have been left to fend for themselves. Just so sad.

About Ukrine...I actually know a middle-aged American guy who flew to Kiev to meet the girl of his dreams. He ended up not marrying any of his dreams and returned home. However, I feel so strongly about this sham trafficking that I told him what I thought and haven't spoken to him since. And have no intention of doing so.

The comment after yours was from a gal in Calif. who volunteers with a group that sends English books to kids in Malawi, Africa. I'm going to give her a shout-out my next post.

You have a very kind heart. Hugs!

Melissa said...

THat's great advice. It isn't a race and that can be hard to remember sometimes.

Pam Torres said...

Thanks for the reminder to take a breath. It is easy to get caught up in the anxious quest for publication and feel like the hour glass is running out of sand. Also, I liked your compelling character quote. Little late getting around to everyone. Thanks for your post!

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Such good advice. I keep telling my kids "this is not a competition", but you are right, I get rather competitive at times too. How does it matter when you get there, as long as you do get there?

Quinn said...

Good to remember ... and hard to remember!