Tuesday, October 5, 2010

BLOGTOBER!

Wow! October is such a BUSY month! But so many cool things going on... not to mention the change in weather always seems to liven things up.

A HUGE thank you to Lydia Sharp for featuring my blog on her group Writing Mothers in the Writer's Digest Community. If you're a writing mom and are looking for some like-minded ladies, check out the group. Lydia also runs a super informative blog with lots of helpful writer info. Seriously, some of her posts have had me jotting notes.

There are also a couple of Halloween Horror writing contests going on, so if you need to step away from your WIP and refresh your brain with a quick but fun 1k word scary story, check out SA Larsen and
 Hannah Kincade's blogs for details. Awesome prizes!

Speaking of Blogtober, you ever sit back and think about the whole blogosphere idea? I know I'm gonna sound like I've been out back smoking the wacky weed, but it's really amazing. I mean I can sit at my laptop and read blogs all day and never walk outside. I will have taken in so much info, met so many new bloggers, entered contests, shared stories, maybe even won some stuff. All without ever getting out of my seat.

Okay, so I'd never spend the entire day blogging... especially not in this weather, but if I let it, it could easily consume me. What blows my mind is that most of you and the other bloggers, I'll never even meet. You're just a floating photo with posted words that make up your personality. Huh.

Speaking of weather, it's so nice in Florida right now that the AC is off and the windows are open. The sky is so vividly blue it's hard to stop gazing at it. I adore this time of year and love driving with the windows down and music playing. Of course, it's usually only driving my kids to and from school, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

This morning I was thinking of music, and how it has such a dramatic effect on films in particular. There are some films out there that I truly love, and part of the reason I love them is because of their original score. My favorite writing music comes from original film scores. Without this music, these films would not be half of what they are. The way the composers nailed the feeling of the scenes is just baffling.

For example, some of my fave soundtracks are: Avatar, Stardust, LOTR, Braveheart, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon ... Just to name a few. Sometimes in moments (or hours) of no inspiration, I listen to these soundtracks and find my muse. They're mostly instrumental so the imagination is carried by the sound.

Is your writing like this? Does it possess some kind of magical fluidity that transfixes the reader? We can't exactly add real music to our stories, but we can allow music to affect our words so that they're rich and meaningful and hypnotic.

What do you think? How does music affect your life or your writing?

9 comments:

Quinn said...

I've posted about it before, but I get really inspired by music videos.

With my first book, Evanescence's video for "Lithium" inspired a scene. While I was writing that chapter, I listened to the song over and over again on repeat until I was finished.

I listen to music while I'm writing all the time. Unlike most writers, I'll listen to songs with lyrics. The songs I pick will either remind me of a character, remind me of the idea behind the book or just perfectly capture the mood I'm trying to capture with my words.

LTM said...

I got really hung up on the soundtrack for Howard's End last fall... the plants and the flowers, all that nature against that score. The French horn solo with the rain falling on the little bluebells--gorgeous!

um... so yeah! ;p

Thanks for the heads up on Lydia's blog. And so true--the blogworld can almost become a second life... LOL! yikes~ :D

Catana/Sylvie Mac said...

Whether I listen to music seems to depend on my mood and on what kind of writing I'm doing at the moment. I can let Coldplay run for hours, but I do have a few soundtracks that I love for background. Exotica, Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, and Koyaanisqatsi.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love music, and it can definitely add to my moods, but I can't write with music playing. It's too distracting. *sigh* I wish it wasn't so.

Cinette said...

I can't write to music. Funny, I can write in a crowded, noisy gymnasium and tune out everything around me, but music distracts me.

JEFritz said...

I love writing while listening to music. Interestingly enough, the more depressing or angry, the faster I work.

Regina said...

Yes, music plays a huge part in my life all of the time, not just when I am writing. It helps me focus. And as you mentioned, I have a similar post up about this right now. How funny. Great minds must think alike.

T C Mckee said...

I can't write to music. I find it too distracting, but I have had plenty of moments when I've been in the car, listening to music and have been instantly inspired. Writing for me can play out like a movie in my head so the music just adds more flavor to the scene. Weird huh? Breaking Benjamin played a huge role when I was originally writing my novel. So yes, music is extremely important. BTW, Nice job on the blog!

Elena Solodow said...

Music inspires so many emotions, and I use those emotions to come up with scenes for whatever I'm writing. I don't like to play music as a write because it usually informs the scene too much, but music gives me the kick I need in terms of inspiration.