Saturday, October 16, 2010

Empowerment Day!

By chance, I stumbled upon a cool experiment going on today called Empowerment Day.

Lettucehead over at the Lettucehead (love that name!) is hosting an all day event where bloggers post on what empowers us as individuals and why.

First of all, I adore the word, empowerment....  Just say it a few times and let it roll off your lips. The sound alone is empowering. Being a woman, I find the word especially important. I'm a huge advocate for empowering teens and women everywhere to take charge of their lives and learn how to stand up for themselves.

There are many things that can empower us: a job title, a fast car, a divorce, a promotion, etc. Different strokes for different folks, as usual. What empowers me, may not empower you. Today's post is about what empowers me.


I don't even have to think twice. My kids. Everything is for them. They make me want to be the best person I can be. They force me to take charge, make big decisions, be brave, love unconditionally. And if those things don't empower an individual, I don't really know if anything can.

Now, I know I can be and do all those things without kids. No question. But doing it for me and doing it for them are totally different. They're the jelly on my toast. My kids empower me. I'd wrestle an alligator to save them without a second thought. I have to be the best person I can, because I'm their example, protector, provider.

Their existence gives me power.

What about you? If you didn't participate in the experiment leave me a comment and tell me what empowers you. Also, check out the other posts from Lettucehead's link at the top. Happy weekend!

6 comments:

Catana/Sylvie Mac said...

I've never thought about my life in terms of empowerment. I've always been a stubborn cuss who goes my own way regardless of what's popular or "proper." If I'm "empowered," it's by my internal need for personal autonomy. The impression I've gotten, when I read about empowerment, is that most people are empowered by things, people, or ideas outside themselves.

Quinn said...

I think lots of parents get empowered by their kids. I don't have kids yet and I don't exactly know where I get my empowerment from. I guess I just know or feel that I'm supposed to do something.

lettucehead said...

Wonderful empowerment, PK! Not every parent puts their kids first and I'm happy there are more good examples of parenting, like yourself. I'm glad you participated. Have a good weekend :-)

Norma Beishir said...

Well, PK, my only child is grown now, but I'd have to say he empowered me. He was the reason I was so determined to get published.

Kathryn said...

Since I'm not a mama, I can't say kids, but I love your answer! I think what empowers me the most is knowing that whatever I can set my mind out to accomplish is something I can make happen. I realize how cliched that sounds, but I've done several things in my life already that were intimidating, but the actual action of "setting out" to accomplish is what got it done, and once I realized I could do that, I knew just how strong I was - and still am!

Jen Daiker said...

This post empowered me!!! What a fascinating blog experiement... I adore!!! I love lettuce head so I'll be stopping by to say hello!