Friday, October 22, 2010

To Boldly Go...

So I realized after I posted on Tuesday that I forgot to leave the five things about me with The Versatile Blogger Award.  And just so you can get to know me better, I thought I'd throw them in now:

1. I'm a fifth generation native Floridian (very rare these days. Most peeps here are from somewhere else.)

2. I didn't get married til I was almost twenty-nine. (spent my twenties traveling)

3. In 2004 I spent two months on assignment for work in India, came home and got pregnant with my son.

4. I found out I was pregnant with my daughter one year later while on assigment in Mexico. (If our kids didn't look so much like my hubby he'd be suspicious)

5. I spent three years in college but never finished--once I got the travel bug I couldn't spare the time.


Okay so the point of my blog title:

My book club is made up of eight girls whom I graduated high school with. Two of which are my lifelong best friends, the other five I reconnected with when Facebook started blowing up. It's been exactly a year since our first book club meeting, and since then we've read some phenom books:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Angry Housewives eating BonBons
The Help
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

And this time around was my turn to host and pick the book. Well, being the bold person that I am, I asked them if they'd mind reading my latest ms, FLOAT. Okay, so it's kind of cheeky of me because I'm just a no-name aspiring author, but they were really agreeable and encouraging. So last month I sent them all a copy and they've been reading.

Our meeting is tonight--we're going roller skating--and it's gonna be really weird discussing my work. I've already heard some really positive remarks, so I'm not nervous about the work itself. I'm nervous about being the center of attention. I hate it. I liken myself to a backup dancer/singer. I don't really want the spotlight, but I wanna be a part of the show.

Luckily, going skating, we'll have other things to do so we're not sitting around drinking wine and talking about me. LOL! But really, I'm super excited to hear their responses and I'll let you know how it goes. I had special tee shirts made up for all of us to commemorate the event. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Enough of that,  also want to tell you about a groovy contest going on over at Beth Fred's Project 52. Check it out! She always has super cool prizes.

Hope everyone has a stellar weekend. Any special plans? Please share .....

9 comments:

Quinn said...

I imagine that might be kinda weird to have your book club discussing your book. Good luck!

salarsenッ said...

OH, good luck meeting them. I'm sure all will go well. Wine usually lightens the mood. LOL.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great they wanted to read your work!

Mary said...

Great to learn all those fun facts about you! Can't wait to hear how your book club meeting went. I think it is great that you asked them to read your book! (and the skating sounds fun :) )

Marieke said...

That sounds great! Have fun! :D

(And also, hi! Found you via a comment on Rach's blog - nice to virtually meet you! ^^ )

JEFritz said...

Don't worry! I'd call it fun to read a book so new it hasn't been published yet. (I'd like to emphasize that last word:)

Laraine Eddington said...

Good for you. Sharing your work is brave and necessary. I hope the feedback is helpful.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Way to put yourself out there! I hope you have a great night and get some good feedback...and have some fun. :-)

Talei said...

Great idea! I love the sound of your book club too, wish I had my old friends around to do that. Alas we are spread across the globe right now. Happy skating!! If I brave the weather we may be traipsing up to a local fun fair in our 'wellies'. mmm. I promised my little one we'd go. ;D