So I stumbled upon these questions the other day, I think on Julie Musil's blog ... it was a link and I copied down these nine questions to ask your characters in order to gain better insight on them. I love these kinds of things. I've found that writing my first draft--after doing brief character sketches--gets the ball rolling.
After my first draft, and once I've gotten to know my characters pretty well, I start a series of interviews before I go in to do revisions. That way, I can tweak away to make sure their essence rings through in the story.
I thought it'd be fun to not only leave you this short list of character questions, but to answer them myself so you can get to know me better.
1. How do you learn best? I'm a hands-on, visual person. I have to see it, and best if I can try it. Then, I never forget it.
2. How open are you to new ideas? Very! I love new ideas and have a very progressive way of thinking.
3. What's the first thing you notice when you walk into a party? Open spaces. I hate crowds and I always go for a opening. But I love parties, too... as long as I've got my space.
4. Is one sense more developed than the others? My hearing has probably been dulled from my early years of concerts, raves, and loud parties. My smeller is pretty average. But my sight has always been 20/15. I can be at a rowdy, crowded party and I'll notice a little spider in the far corner of the ceiling.
5. Do you notice problems around you? Always. I have a strong sense of conflict in the air as well as empathy for others who are feeling down. My daughter takes after me with this. She's 4 but I can see the same trait in her already.
6. Optimist or pessimist? Optimist
7. Are you more interested in past, present, or future? Future
8. How do you decide if you trust someone? Vibes. I pick up on peep's vibes. If it's really negative I don't trust them. Otherwise, I'm a really trusting person.
9. Are you a deliberate, careful speaker or do you speak without thinking? My words are usually well chosen, though my hubby would probably disagree. ;)
Regina Linton is having a giveaway on her blog, Unsettled, so feel free to click over and check it out!
Also, there' still time to enter My Favorite Things Giveaway... just click on the pic to the right.
If you're American, wishing you a fabulous Thanksgiving holiday with lots of good food, family, and friends! I'm off to see Harry Potter at the Imax today (my Bday gift from my son). YAY!
Do you have any methods on building your characters? Any great questions you ask them? Please share ....