Monday, November 15, 2010

From My Private Word Reserve ...

Wow, I've been away from the blogoshpere all weekend. Been sick--I'm talkin' laid up in bed sick. But recovery is in full swing! I know I've missed a lot of great posts from all of you, and I hope to catch up with it all over the next few days.

Don't forget WriteOnCon chat is tonight. I'll have to miss it this time since I work at 3am tomorrow. I'll be paying catch up with that as well. My NaNo project is in good shape. I'm really diggin' my story ... lol. Hope some others do too.

So what's my private word reseve, you ask? Some of you may do this too: keep a notebook or file of words you like to use. I refer to mine all the time, and it's just a plain old spiral notebook, which works best for me. Inside I have names for future character use, exceptional adjectives (for minimal use, of course,) some antiquated words for fantasy stories, and my fave punchy verbs.

I'll share a few with you each week:

Punchy Verbs

lunge    sweep    scatter    ram    quake    scrape   probe   strain    stroke   scavenge   grunt   slather   prolong  itch       grump   fritter    quarrel   nag      slobber   twitch   snatch   squirm  toss          sift       gleam    flash


Do you use any of these? Feel free to add them to your own word reserve. I have plenty more I'll share another time. It's so important we use verbs that say it all instead of modifiers tacked onto them. It makes a huge difference.

What about you? Do you have any faves you'd like to add to the pile? Please share!

11 comments:

Summer Ross said...

I like slobber. :) Great list. I'm sorry you haven't felt well.

JEFritz said...

Sweep, spew, stew, as well as words that don't begin with S.

You always come up with the best writing ideas :)

The Blogger Formerly Known As said...

Oooh, I love words. I have lists and lists of them. But, whenever look, I spend far too long, just enjoying reading through them.
The enigmatic, masked blogger

Mary said...

Sorry to hear you were sick, glad you're doing better.

I tend to go to dictionary.com and look up words under the thesaurus when I need an alternative, but I might have to try your notebook idea.

Oddyoddyo13 said...

Bleck. Sickness. Glad you're better!

I don't keep a word reserve, instead I'm like Mary-I use Dictionary.com.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a good idea! I need to make a list as well.

kmckendry said...

I love your idea of keeping a notebook for words. I have so many notebooks, but not for just words.
Hope you feel 100% soon.

Melissa said...

A word reserve? I want in on this word reserve!!!

Margo Kelly said...

Love the word reserve... Love it. Thanks for sharing the idea!

Quinn said...

Glad you're recovering. Missed you!

I don't have a word reserve ... at least not one that I've written down. Maybe a good idea to start one.

Regina said...

I have a little book that I made myself that I keep words in, a page for names, a page for titles and then I sketch out story ideas on some of the pages as I get them. It is just a mess of randomness.

Someday I will get it all straightened out. lol