Saturday, December 11, 2010

More Than I Can Chew....

So I realized the other day that I've signed up to do TWO blogfests for today. I lurve blogfests and sometimes I stumble across them and think how much fun they look and sign up--then realize later that I better get to work! So here I am, this lovely Saturday, sharing with you my two different entries for two different blogfests.

I hope you'll enjoy mine, then click over to the blog HDQ and enjoy some of the other entries. :)



The first is the Harry Potter Blogfest taking place on Michael di Gesu's blog. Contestants are to write up to 500 words invloving any HP character during the holidays. Fun, right?? Here's mine:

Dear Sirius,

   As I write this, the snow is falling in London like silent raindrops. As usual, the muggles are scurrying about as though it's the first time snow has fallen. Try as I may, I'll never understand them.
   I miss you more than words can say. Whilst I sit here--at our table in The Leaky Cauldron--I'm reminded of the first time we met. I am alone, listening to other witches and wizards as they talk of their Christmas plans. I wish you were here--we'd be trimming our tree right now--you with your wand, I with mine--drinking together as decorations attached themselves to the branches. You wouldn't care that no one else has their tree inside the Cauldron. We'd laugh and make a spectacle.
   Knowing you're gone forever is a sword to my heart, but trying to maintain our love as secret after all this time, is torture. They still don't know about our past--about our love. I know what you'd say, "it's safer that way--the Ministry has no business in our personal lives."
   Still I long for others to understand what I'm going through. I met with Harry and Ginny last week. Oh, Sirius! You should see young Albus! He's just like his father, and like James. It brings me joy to see how he flourishes. Harry misses you awfully. He always makes time for me when I stop by for tea. Do you see our old friends where you are now, my love? It comforts me to think they are there with you--in that great unknown.
   At times, I pretend you're still in Azkaban, and I write these letters with a sliver of hope you'll respond. Then truth settles over me--cold and bitter as the snow--and I remember you're gone forever.
   I've been offered a teaching position at Hogwarts, and I think I must take it. Teaching Divinations is what I've always wanted, and I don't see how I can refuse. It will be the start of something fresh--a new life, hopefully. Though, you'll always live in my memories--and in my heart. Do you remember the talks we had of our future? Of the family we'd raise together? I save the memories in my heart, but I fear some I've had to put to pensieve ... too much for me to bear.
   I shall leave it at that for now, Sirius, my eternal love. Diagon Alley awaits, and there are still more presents to buy. I'll write again soon.

All my love,
PK 


Okay, that was fun. Thanks, Michael, for an awesome idea and for allowing me to participate!

Now for the next blogfest from Marieke at Marieke's Musings. Contestants are to write up to 500 words on how their MC of their current WIP celebrates the holidays. here's mine:

   My name is Wynonna Pinks, and this is my last Christmas as a resident in my parents' home. I graduate high school in June and then I'm off to New York city. Pinks family tradition has us gathering around the fireplace and tree, singing caroles kareoke style--Mom's idea. She started it back when she used to sing--thought she'd be a professional one day, til her worst nigtmare came true.
   I used to love it when my older brother, Jake, and I were younger--we'd ham it up and act overly dramatic. But then something happened and I didn't participate for a few years. Mom would always nag me, say someting like, "You spoil everything, young lady," and that would only make it worse. Every Christmas, Mom and I would fight, til Dad and Jake would duet It's Cold Outside and get us all laughing again. 
   This year, I'm back at the mike--got my boyfriend to thank for that--he helped me find my voice again. Who knows what will happen next? If Mom can stand him being around long enough, we may just convince him to get in on the Pinks fun.  


Thanks, Marieke! Also a fun idea and glad I participated.

That's it! Thanks for stopping by and reading. Don't forget to check out the others, there's a list of entries on the main blog from the links above. Also, would love your comments here. Anything you want to share? Who's your fave Harry Potter character and why? Or how would your MC celebrate the holidays? Tell me everything!

29 comments:

Madeleine said...

Enjoyed both your entries. I liked your original approach to your Harry Potter entry. I'm amazed how we've all gone for such diversity. I was expecting lots of Rons, Hermiones and Harry's cropping up.:O)

LM Preston said...

Oh, I really liked them :-D You have the dialogue nailed.

E.J. Wesley said...

Not sure I've ever seen two blogfests in the same post! :)

Loved your entries, particularly the HP one, cause that's how I roll. (Muggle Style, if you follow me.)

EJW

Rachael Harrie said...

Loved your letter to Sirius, teaching Divination huh ;)

And as for your Marieke's Midwinter blogfest entry, I can only say, awwww! Christmas carol karaoke sounds really fun, might suggest it at our house this year! :)

Rach

N. R. Williams said...

Sirius found love. How great is that! I loved it.

Midwinter left some questions unanswered. Maybe you will share later. But it's great that when we fall in love, we open ourselves to many more experiences and we heal the past.

Thanks for dropping by my blog and reading my Harry Potter post.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Kittie Howard said...

Enjoyed both of your entries enormously! The Sirius twist delighted (great imagination!); the Midwinter piece packed a lot of info into few words but I didn't realize that at the time and read on...big applause for the Midwinter entry!

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Both were excellent entries: concise yet informative, and both extremely well-written. Both engaging! ;)

best
F

Roland D. Yeomans said...

It was a great Christmas present you gave us with the two-for-one blogfest entries. I especially liked the letter to the spirit of Sirius. So a teacher of Divination, huh? Too cool. Thanks for stopping by my entry, long though it is, and commenting. Roland

Hart Johnson said...

So many people in love with Sirius! Very nice entry--I like imagining some side-life he had going that Harry wasn't aware of (though I tend to see him as a major womanizer in his years at Hogwarts--then... I married him (and his demons), so I feel entitles to make those attributions *teehee*).

Julie Musil said...

Great entries! You were mighty ambitious, but totally pulled it off.

erica and christy said...

Aww, I'm so sorry you lost your love in such a tragic manner. :(

I've only read the last book, but seen the movies and really like Luna, so she's my favorite character so far. Nice entries, both of them!
erica

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Congrats on pulling off a double blogfest!

Florence said...

I loved both of your entries, PK. My favorite HP character might be too obvious, but it's Hermine (did I spell that correctly?). Mostly, because she is so courageous and so damn smart :)

My favorite MC is from an old novel I have yet to get back to in rewrite. Her name is Antoinette Gallucci and she's an art photographer and free lance photo/jounalist.

Her family is loud, Italian and great fun and she would celebrate Christmas taking the trek I always loved, bringing along her camera to wing shots of the children's reactions to the sites :)

Summer Ross said...

Brilliant job on both blogfests! you did really well, the note was amazing and I am glad I stopped by to read these. What fun would it be to teach magic at Hogwarts? have a wonderful weekend.

gideon 86 said...

PK!

Excellent! You are the first I've read that did this as a letter.... very creative! (I haven't read all entries yet, so I don't know if there are any others)

Sensitive, heartfelt, believable. I felt your pain. Your entry packed a lot of punch in a few words. I know the word count was challenging. That was the point. I know a talented writer could pull of something special in 500 words and you did.

I'm impressed. VERY WELL DONE!

Marieke's entry was a nice surprise. You handled both entries beautifully. You'll never have a problem with deadlines...

Thank you for being part of my first blogfest. All of you make it MAGICAL!


Michael

C.A. Marshall said...

I like to think Sirius would have made an excellent partner. Thanks for showing us that side of him!

The Golden Eagle said...

I love the letter format for the Harry Potter Blogfest!

It was great to read your Midwinter entry, too! :)

William Kendall said...

Poor Sirius... he looked ever so confused there at the end.

Good blog letters, PK!

Norma Beishir said...

William--do we think alike, or what?

PK--I like the idea of writing about how our main characters spend Christmas. I may try this on my character blogs!

Lisa said...

Awwww! I think I would have had a crush on the young Sirius, too, but it sounds like you guys have the real thing. Great entry!

Melissa said...

You did an excellent job. I loved the letter to Sirius. You did a great job!

Brenda Drake said...

I don't know, call me crazy, but there is something sexy about Sirius. Love that you wrote a letter to him!

I enjoyed reading your short entry for the Midwinter blogfest. My family is just like Pinks family - we fight and karaoke. Great posts! :D

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Your blogfest stories are both great. I enjoyed reading them. Have none of my own at the moment. Thinking thinking. :)

Su said...

Oooh, I loved your letter to Sirius. And I totally want to know more about Wynonna.

Marieke said...

Have to say -- really enjoyed both of them! ^.^

And your Christmas snippet makes me want to read on! Tease :D

pensees said...

So sweet. I really enjoyed it!

Cyndi

gideon 86 said...

CONGRATULATIONS PK You are in the top five!!!!!

Fantastic entry! TIme to vote so tell your friends/followers to vote!


Michael

Pk Hrezo said...

Yay for top 5!

Thanks for all your comments,everyone! Just loved your feedback. :)

Nicki Elson said...

So you and Sirius, eh? I KNEW it! ;) The letter was beautiful, and I do like to think that Sirius has someone special like that in his life.

Congrats on top 5!