Saturday, December 18, 2010

Oo La La ... Writing the Romance ... *blushes with a grin*

I interrupt this regularly scheduled program so that I can bring you somthing much more tasty and fun ...

I had intended to post today on helpful chapter one feedback, but much to my dismay, I'm flat out unprepared. So I'm going to be working on that. I hope to have a some really useful info compiled and want to take more time on it.

On to writing the romance.... It has to be one of my fave parts of writing fiction. The ability to create charismatic, sexy characters who don't even know how sexy they are and set them up for love scenes .... mm, mm , mm ... I. Just. Love it. ;)

Now, I know if I can give myself butterflies from reading my own work--it's pretty darn good. And I don't have any trouble saying that, A) because it's so darn fun, and B) because it takes a lot of work and effort on my part. Kind of like baking homemade cookies--always worth it in the end.

So many genres and story styles out there-some of which really have nothing to do with romance or love. However, when the authors sprinkle a little romance in ... oo la la! I just love it.

Which got me thinking, what kinds of characters really turn me on. I think that's what it boils down to. Because you can write romance scenes out the wazoo, but if the characters don't have what it takes to get my blood pulsing ... forgedda bout it! It's part of the reason why the Twilight saga is so popular with readers of all ages. The writing is okay, but the characters of Edward and Jacob get women everywhere swooning. I think the saga makes a great study if you want to learn how to build a swoon-worthy male MCs.

And since I am female and can only truly vouch for male swoon-worthy MCs, I thought I'd share with you a few of my fave. I'm sorry I can't say all of them are literary, but part of what makes a character so knee-weakeningly adorable, is a particular charisma and finesse that's either there, or it isn't. Completely subjective. You may disagree with me there... and that's okay--disagree away in the comments. The fact remains, these characters are my all time fave and will forever have my heart.

Without further ado ....


Oh yes. Who could resist Tristan Ludlow from Legends of the Fall? Back in the 90s Brad was the ultimate hottie, but he also played in a lot of other roles that didn't have me swooning at all. Tristan Ludlow, however, has got to be my top pic for total turn on--not because it's golden boy Brad Pitt, but because Tristan is smart, wild, tough, sensitive, confident, earthy, mysterious, outdoorsy, and a total family guy. *dreamy sigh*


I've been a Ewan mcGregor fan since Trainspotting, but it was his role as Christian from Moulin Rouge that had me swooning and falling helplessly in love. What about this character had me weak in the knees? His heart felt crooning voice could've been enough, but the fact that he was a starving artist--passionate about writing and passionate about love made me starry eyed. He was sensitive, yet determined; cute, but sexy in his desire for Satine. Christian could sing to me all day, with his boyish charm and larger than life romantic vivacity.


Another Tristan ... who knew?! Yeah, James Franco is a good looking guy, but it was this role--this character, Tristan of Cornwall from Tristan & Isolde, who had me breathless. How about the intense stares of longing? Or the gallant maneuvers of chivalry? A true knight with a noble and integral spirit. One who has experienced loss, and it has made him stronger--unbeatable. His loyalty to his king is contrasted only by his deep love for Isolde. Wow. This character only made James Franco's looks better. In truth, it wasn't James' looks at all that had me giddy. It was everything about the essence of Tristan--his charisma and honor.

Last, but certainly not least, Jude Law as Inman. Yeah Jude is pretty darn hot, but honestly, it was Inman's quiet, intense and honest character that melted my butter. There's just something about a quiet, genuine man that evokes mystery and intrigue. Add in some good looks and calm coolness, and I melt even more.

These are my absolute faves when it comes to male MCs. If you're needing a little inspiration on creating your own compelling (and swoon-worthy) male MC, watch these films, or read the stories (Cold Mountain, Tristan & Isolde) and you'll be sure to find your muse. BTW I'll always have a place in my heart for Mr. Darcy. ;)

Now it's your turn. Tell me who makes you weak in the knees--who melts your butter? Male or female, it doesn't matter. And I don't mean the actors/actresses. I mean the actual characters. Let's hear it, then ....

11 comments:

Jamie - I'm a guy, btw! said...

Great post! I agree 100% about Tristan. He's irresistable (and so is Brad!) And I also think that Noah from The Notebook was a wonderful character, too (and who doesn't like to watch Ryan Gosling?!).

Trisha Leaver said...

Who melts my butter -- Heath Ledger in The Patriot

Madeleine said...

Oh I like this post. I'm glad that what you write gives you butterflies. It shows you are on the right track. Two that immediately come to mind that I especially like Ewan McGregor and Richard Hammond. HAPPY CHRISTMAS :O)

gideon 86 said...

Hi PK,

You came in third in my HP Blogfest. I just wanted to congratulate you personally and thank you for your wonderful entry.

I have a little something that I would like to send you, just a token really, but I would still like to do it. So please, send my your address at mculi at aol dot com.

Michael

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I really can't think of a book character - just movie ones. (And one real-life person.) Guess I need visuals to induce hotness.

Carla White said...

I forgot about Tristan (Franco's Tristan), and definitely agree about Christian. I also personally have an eternal place in my heart for Roux from Chocolat, played by Johnny Depp. And, Romeo and Jack (Romeo & Juliet, and Titanic) both of course played by the adorable Leo DiCaprio.

Kathryn said...

I'm going to echo Carla. Tristan and Roux from Chocolat (jeez, girl... read my mind!). I also have to add Spock (the Zachary Quinto version since Leonard Nimoy is just too old for me) for his cool rationale, his deep emotion and love that he conceals, and his damn sexy logic. Also Fox Mulder for his intelligence. Guess I'm a sci-fi girl. I like my men smart.

Florence said...

My favorite character is my first mystery. His name is Murphy. Just. It's actually James Patrick Murphy, but ...

He oozes with sex appeal and pit against a female character, wholey bent on her career, he might at first appear to take a back seat, but she is crafty enough to find time to let him into her life.

Great post. And yes, I love writing in those magical moments when I get all tingly and want to jump into character.

Melissa said...

Reminder: Be Jolly By Golly Blog fest on Monday! Jen and I can't wait for your entry!

Melissa's blog.

Jen's blog.

Nathalie said...

Some hawt totties there PK! All of them are atop my fav list.

haifa ruwaidah said...

I am very fond of this information termakasih for sharing with us
obat kebas tradisional
suplemen bagi penderita kanker payudara
obat penyakit wasir tradisional