Happy Monday! Just wanna leave you with some helpful quotes to get the week started and help motivate your muse. :)
* Writing is a long hard slog and your brain needs to be in tip-top shape.
* Reading is the creative center of a writer's life.
* Reading is your job. If you don't read the genre your writing in, you will never absorb the techniques and structure needed.
* Unlearn much of what you know about writing.
* Construct clean sentences powered by vivid verbs.Your metaphors and images need to trill as memorably as a chorus of bagpipes at a funeral.
* Like other pros, put in the time, hit the books, and refine your skills.
* Nothing instructs a writer about metaphor, imagery, and the potency of language more than poetry.
* Writing and reading poetry brings us deeper into the vast sea of language because trying to convey an idea in a few lines teaches us depths of language we'd never find on our own.
* Experiment, brainstorm, and dabble.
* Stay loose and enjoy the writer's equivalent of mud and finger paints and clown hats.
* Juggle several projects at once. This sort of tinkering refreshes the imagination, creates small successes, and boosts confidence.
* Write your first draft fast as though your pants were on fire, and stay close to your story.
* Writing must contain emotional and intellectual complexity, which is the opposite of melodrama.
* Put writing first in your life and keep plugging away; carry it around with you.
* The more often you visit your characters, the more likely they'll whisper their truths and heartbreaks.
* Research, then emulate the lives of successful writers.
* Realize that sometimes you're going to be the geekiest, dorkiest new kid in class. Learn to laugh a bit when you screw up.
* Find sophisticated and possibly cold-hearted readers.
* See the world is gold all around you and press those images onto the pages.
* Instead of searching the world for a source of joy, make writing your source of joy.
* Always think about what you're seeing, and always question it. Always remain open.
On that note, get in there and get writing. Even if it's simply jotting notes for your next story. Keep the creativity flowing. These quotes were compiled from my fave handy dandy writing manual, Thanks, But This Isn't For Us by Jessica Morrell. Jessica also runs a terrific writing-focused blog which you can find here.
On a side note, check out the pic to the right for the A-Z Blogfest happening in the month of April. It means blogging everyday (except weekends) for the entire month of April, but what a fun way to meet new friends! Click on the pic and get to Blogfest HDQ where you can learn all the deets.
So what about you? Any fave writing quotes you'd like to share? Or just anything in general? Let's talk ...