Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What's Your Process Blogfest

Just found this blogfest, and wow! What a great idea! Come on in and see how I write, then pop over to Shallee's blog and peruse the list of bloggers to see how they write!

My process is fairly simple, though it does take some thought.

* Write the Logline (this is so I know exactly what the story will be about)

* Character Sketches ( I have to know their ins and outs, and deepest secrets and fears)

* World Build (I need to know the setting. Much easier if it's contemporary. Fantasy takes much longer)

* Chapter Outline ( I know what I want to happen in each chapter. Doesn't always stay that way, but it keeps                                 me on track.)

So that's it! Of course, each of my four steps takes a lot of thought process. I start a "story bible" with each story, which is a spiral notebook that I jot notes and ideas in, and will contain my character sketches and chapter outlines. This is something I refer back to over and over throughout the first draft. I'd be lost without my story bibles.

* After I write the first draft as quickly as possible, I give it a quick (all in one sitting if possible) full edit, then I let it sit for a couple of weeks.

*After it's properly marinated, I dive in for hard core revisions.

* Once my first round of revisions is done, I send out to the wolves... no, not really. I send to trusty betas. Love my beta readers! They pick out so many areas in need of tweaking, and have so many awesome suggestions.

* After all feedback is in, I revise again.

** At this point I am burnt out on the story and I consider it finished and move on to creating a new story bible for a new idea.

But what works for me may not work for you. This is my process and it gets smoother with each new story.

Do you do something similar? Or totally different? Please share ....

Also, a HUGE welcome to my new followers! I'm so glad you're here! Remember, if your blog or website isn't attached to your blogger profile (or your little floating head) than I cant find you.

22 comments:

SariBelle said...

Great post PK. Beta readers are invaluable. I love my crit partner. She has such a good eye for detail (and major plot goofs). Sounds like your writing process is pretty honed.

Trisha said...

I like the idea of your bible :) I tend to do everything nowadays within Scrivener. I guess that's my bible. :D I will admit that with this major series I've been working on, I have had a lot of the plans worked out ahead of time. And yet more and more of the storyline comes to me even as I'm writing, so it's usually not set in stone from the beginning. :)

Thanks for stopping by - nice to meet you too!

Matthew Rush said...

It's so interesting to hear about all these other writer's processes. I've only ever written one novel, and can't imagine being bombarded by all kinds of other ideas.

Colene Murphy said...

So neat! There are so many different processes and it's really awesome to get to see yours!

Tara said...

Wow are you organized in writing! The fact that you write your logline first kills me. I've been finished with my book for months and I still can't come up with one that I like, lol.

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Wow - I just posted a similar topic on plotting vs. pantsting today!! I love your organization:)

Tara said...

Shoot! I just clicked you FB badge, but I was signed into the wrong account when I sent the friend request - I sent a second through Tara Watson. Could you please ignore the first. Thanks!

Jennifer Hoffine said...

A story bible. Haven't heard that term before. Sounds useful.

Summer Ross said...

a story bible idea! great idea, I might try that one out.

T C Mckee said...

Love this blogfest. Gonna go check it out. Sounds very interesting. Story bible huh? Mine looks a less organized. In fact, I hide it because it looks kind of like the ramblings of a crazy person. Then again, maybe that's fitting. Hum...

Holly Ruggiero said...

I've never done the same process the same way twice (yet). I like yours thought. It is logical.

M Pax said...

This is a great blogfest. Great meeting you.

I'm moving toward being more organized. You have a lot of ideas here I need to job down. I do have a story bible. I've had those from the beginning. Most of my stories require world-building, so I have to in order to keep the details straight.

Melissa said...

Great post! I have a notebook that I use (it's my story bible) and I'd be so lost without it. One thing I learned is that I need to do more world building before I start writing.

Thanks for sharing and nice to meet you!

The Golden Eagle said...

You write the logline first? Wow. I just charge through the first draft and ignore a lot of the rest until I'm done. :P

Nas Dean said...

I love reading about writer's process and yours is so interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Elena Solodow said...

Interesting to write the logline first.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Marinated - I like that!

Norma Beishir said...

I just write the book, then edit. Then edit again. And again....

Lola Sharp said...

My process has evolved a bit with each new novel (about to start revising the 3rd), but I wish I could do it your way. I know that is the snowflake/save the cat way...to start with a logline and build from there. *sigh* I'm just not creative that way. I'm trying to learn how to begin like that...someday.
Thus far, it has always been a character that came to me and I kind of followed the MC's story. A very organic process. But, said process leads to many months of slow, painful revisions.
Where my evolution HAS 'improved' is my first draft is still the same organic process, but before my second draft, I kind of do what you do...boil it down to a few sentences of plot, then write down my basic thoughts (also in a notebook...old school) on the arcs. While not chapter by chapter, I do make an overall arc plan. Then I commence the revisions. Then off to betas, more revisions. Then to my CPs, then more revisions. The end.

I enjoyed reading your process. :)
Have a lovely week!
Love,
Lola

Julie Musil said...

I read in Plot & Structure that we should come up with the logline first. That's brilliant! I wish I had done that. Now I have to whittle the novel down to one sentence. Ouch.

Your process is awesome, and makes total sense.

Donna Hole said...

I've had to do something I've never done with a work in progress lately: submit while I'm still writing it.

What this has forced me to do is look at my overall writing process - much like you're doing here.

Its good to analyze you own writing techniques. Make you aware of your own systems; strengths and weaknesses. Knowledge of your own style is key to producing that breakthrough novel.

Good Luck PK.

.........dhole

Katie Mills said...

neat! Thanks for sharing- sorry I missed this! What a great idea!