Monday, January 24, 2011

Top 10 Music Countdown --- Blogfest!!

Okay this took some genuine thought, mainly because there are so many darn good songs out there. Music provides the soundtrack to our lives, and I flat out can't imagine a world without it. My most current ms deals a lot with music.

Remember how invested in certain songs you were when you were young?? Man, it felt like the world was speaking to me through certain lyrics. I'm such a music nut, I coordinated / choreographed  my own wedding to individual songs I picked. I honestly believe there's a song out there for every kind of feeling.



Check out my TOP 10 here, then head on over to Mr. Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog to peruse the rest of the entries. Should be a fun day!!

And without firther ado ...  (in no particular order)

10.    River of Deceit    Mad Season  (Reminds me of the good old days. And just a kick-ass song)

9.     Beautiful Day   U2   (Played this song at my wedding right after our first kiss. The whole wedding party exited the ceremony to this song... it was so great! To this day everyone at my wedding thinks of it when they hear that song. I know because they tell me so ;)  )

8.  On a Clear Day   PM Dawn  (Reminds me of college days and being so free)

7.  Riders on the Storm    The Doors (Perfect for driving on rainy days)

6.  Here Comes the Rain Again   Eurhythmics  (Just love this song. Reminds me of college days and winding down an evening of dancing with this song)

5.  Storms in Africa   Enya  (Something so hypnotic about this one. I walked down the aisle to marry my hubby to this song. I'd always wanted to, and it was completely untraditional, but I did it anyway, and everyone loved it.)

4.  Don't Stop til You Get Enough   Michael Jackson  (Gets my feet moving. Have to dance to this one)

3.  Ramble On   Led Zepplin (Cranking this song up just puts me into "rock out" zone)

2.  Iiieee    Tori Amos (Yes it's really the title. Tori is my all time fave singer and this one just never gets old for me)

1.  Like a Prayer   Madonna  (So Madonna's songs ain't deep or anything, but they make me dance. And this one gets me on the floor quicker than anything. It's just a darn good song)

Here are just a few runners-up off the top of my head:

Nightshift ( Commodores); Free Bird (Lynnrd Skynnrd) In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel); If You Leave  (OMD ); Dreams (Cranberries); Homeward Bound (Simon & Garfunkle); Where the Streets Have No Name (U2);Barons of Suburbia (Tori Amos) Sexual Healing (Marvin Gaye)

Alright, so of course there are MANY more songs I adore, and this just barely grazes the surface, but I sure had fun giving it a go. Can you imagine a world without music? It would be so very blah.



So tell me what some of your fave songs are? If your participating in the blogfest, I'll be stopping by for a visit soon! Happy Monday!

47 comments:

Margo Benson said...

Great to see The Doors in there, so brooding! Great list!

Melissa said...

YES!!!!! to number 4,5,7 and 9. I haven't heard all the others so I will have to check them out!

salarsenッ said...

Beautiful Day is great!! And you're a Doors fan??? So cool. I love the Doors.

Great list!

Jessica Bell said...

I almost put Like a Prayer on mine too :o) And oh my gosh I totally forgot about the Eurhythmics! Great list!

Stephen Tremp said...

Lots of good tunes here. I almost put the Doors on my list. Ten just isn't enough.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Beautiful Day is one of my favorite U2 songs.
Thanks for participating!

iZombie said...

you win for the coolest list that is including mad season and the doors!
what a great selection of music
thanks for the melody's,
jeremy
[iZombie]

Clarissa Draper said...

Yeah, you did add Enya. I mean, she's got so many great songs. But, that one brings back so many memories for me.

Dan said...

Well I'm not the only one with Like a Prayer. It's not just a generic pop song. It's very nuanced and musical.

Also, love the Eurhythmics. I won't be able to get Annie Lennox out of my head for the rest of the day, though. Oh, well.

Dan - my list.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Yes!!! I know a number of these songs. I'm not doing too well with some lists this morning. ;)

Matthew Rush said...

You've got an awesome list! Such eclectic selections, I love it.

Jules said...

Great selections! My cousin played in Skynyrd :)
Don't get me started on Marvin :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

LTM said...

good stuff here! Tori Amos... mmm... I can't listen to Little Earthquakes when I'm going through stuff. Too much emotion~ ;p

Haleine said...

Your list is so much fun...it had me singing and dancing in my desk chair.

Tara said...

I'm so surprised to see Tori Amos on a few lists out there! I mentioned elsewhere - she was barely edged out of the top 10 on mine. Silent All These Years is my fave by her.

Pat Tillett said...

Great list! We both had Free Bird. I'm surprised it's not on more.

M Pax said...

It was hard to pick. Know your picks and love them. Ah, the Eurhythmics. Great band.

Betsy said...

Well, you should market your wedding-songs-CD!Great picks. :)

Hannah Kincade said...

Great list! Free Bird!! MJ! Madonna!! Woot! Love it.

Florence said...

I could not put them in any order since I don't really have a favorite. My children are instructed to play Second Hand News by Fleetwood Mac at my funeral … In fact when I am cremated I'd love for them to "burn" the vinyl of Rumors and send me on my way :)

That's The Way Love Is, Marvin Gaye; Judy Blue Eyes, Crosby Stills&Nash, Amazing Grace, Judy Collins; Try A Little Tenderness, Otis Reading, Old Friends, Simon& Garfunkle, Take It To The Limit, Eagles; Close The Door, Charlie Rich, At Last, Etta James; Lean On Me, Bill Withers; Faithfully, Journey; Crazy On You, Heart….

I love music so much, for so long, there must be a thousand more. Thanks again for this blogfest thing. I can do it here and still have the same fun :)

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

Great list, I love "Here Comes The Rain Again".

Budd said...

your pain is self chosen. that is a great song.

Arlee Bird said...

I can picture "Beautiful Day" as you used it--great idea! You have some good picks on your list.

Lee
Make sure you check my Wednesday post!
Tossing It Out

aspiring_x said...

oooh! i love beautiful day!!! :) cool about you walking down the aisle to enya!

Colene Murphy said...

LOVE me some Enya! Awesome list!

Lydia K said...

I love that U2 song and Enya is so lovely!

Ellie said...

Fantastic to see Tori Amos on your list - I still have my original copy of Little Earthquakes! A great list.

My Top Ten Songs

Melissa Bradley said...

U2 and Tori...Whoo Hoo!! I nearly put them on my own list. Beautiful Day gets me every time. And Madonna can really make me move. :)

L'Aussie said...

Have some great songs here. Oooh, anything by U2. I love Beautiful Day too and it is so sweet it was played at your wedding - and Enya to walk up the aisle. Beautiful. How did I manage to not squeeze in Doors! Oh, that's right, only 10!!

Happy Tuesday!! Ha Ha you Americans!

Thanks for following my little Paris corner of the blogosphere!

gideon 86 said...

YOU have like three songs on there the I adore... I had such a hard time trying to pick ten.

I'm still dizzy from all the ABNA drama. Today I blogged all day...no writing for me....lol

Michael

Jennie Bailey said...

LOVE Like a Prayer! This is the second Storms in Africa I've come across. I had never heard the song before and now I have to give it a listen!

DEZMOND said...

love Enya and Tori Amos, and could always use some SEXUAL HEALING :)

Lola Sharp said...

Man, Little Earthquakes is one of my favorites...I love Tori. She's extremely gifted. (and I'm remiss for forgetting her...and Regina Spektor! How did I not put them in my list? Damn.)

Love your list.:)
Love,
Lola

Elaine AM Smith said...

PM Dawn so "cool" and Here Comes the Rain Again by The Eurhythmics - great choices ;)

Carla White said...

It would be so hard to narrow it down to just 10. I agree with Like a Prayer and Freebird, for sure. I never get sick of Hotel California by The Eagles and Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi.

James Garcia Jr said...

PK, I like it! You've got Zeppelin, "Beautiful Day" and some Doors. Plus you've got some stuff that I had either forgotten or had yet to give a chance to. I will have to check out the Enya. I've heard some of her stuff, but not this one.

-James

Paul Joseph said...

One of my favorite U2 songs by far. And so happy to see The Eurythmics acknowledged; Annie is one talented woman!

E.J. Wesley said...

Props for Enya! :)

Donna Hole said...

I had so many songs I wanted to post I couldn't decide, until I started posting what drove my novels. Whew, at least I found some songs to post :)

So many of your favs are mine too.

........dhole

Summer Ross said...

Great list- I like some of Madonna, but mostly her older work, MJ is great. Have a wonderful day!

Kelly Dexter said...

Some great songs here! Number one also made it on to my list.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

A Beer for the Shower said...

The Doors and Led Zeppelin would definitely be on my list. Groovy collection you've got here.

Trisha said...

Love a lot of the stuff on your list - I had MJ and Madonna in my list too. Also, I LOVE that song by Mad Season. RIP Layne.

kmckendry said...

I can't imagine my world without music. Even my job centers around being able to interpret music with movement. I agree that there is a song for every mood. I think I would have to make a top ten list for each genre because I just love too many songs. :)

Madeleine said...

Great presentation of this post. I love the Eurhythmics too. Don't know most of your choices, I'm afraid to say. :O)

William Kendall said...

I love so many different kinds of music, so it's an essential part of my day.

Beautiful Day is one of my favourite U2 songs, and what a way to use it! Thanks for sharing!

Deniz Bevan said...

The Doors, Zeppelin and U2 - great list! And yea, In Your Eyes is a lovely song.