Monday, January 17, 2011

What Would YOU Do??




So in honor of the American Martin Luther King Day, I wanted to pause a moment to remember what an amazing man he was ... what he stood for. I know I don't need to go in to details for my bright and dynamic readers ... I'm sure you know them already.

I will leave you with this, though ... not only did he have a vision that suggested every person be judged NOT by the color of their skin, BUT by the content of their character ... Dr. King lived his entire life in service to others. When he saw suffering, he did what he could to help. He spoke out against poverty, injustice, and violence. He was the kind of person who put the cause before anything else.

So, I ask you this fine Monday, January 17, 2011, what would YOU do? 

Let's say your book (or whatever it is you do) achieves astounding success. ( come on, you know you've all dreamed of it.) You're rolling in dough and got more than you know what to do with. How do you use some of it to give back to others? How would you help others in your community or around the world? Go on! Have some fun imagining and tell me in the comments!

I'd visit children's homes around the world and donate to each one as they needed. I'd make sure they had plenty of age appropriate books, as well as clothing and food.

Your turn!

If you haven't listened to Dr. King's amazing "I Have a Dream ..." speech in awhile, take a few minutes to do so. It moves me every time I hear it. But don't forget ...

Tell me, what would YOU do to help out humanity if you could? Or do you already offer some service to others? If so, please tell me about it... don't be shy. Today is all about thinking of others.  

12 comments:

Tracy said...

I saw your name and comment on Pearl's page and thought I'd drop by for a visit...
great post here, and if my book becomes a best-seller I would begin a philanthropic agency to give money to poor families, especially those will children of special needs children since I teach SNC...I'd also want to help out individuals with mental illness; the mind is an intriguing thing.
thanks for the thought provoking post~

Florence said...

Thanks for this post PK. I was lucky enough to live though those times, to see and hear him and I remember the day he was killed quite vividly.
RIP Martin, your dream is still as another poet has written ... "a dream deferred"

Got to say that at any time, with any budget there are folks who take five to ten percent of their wages and donate them.

Don't wait for mega success. Support your local library, public television, local animal shelters and foundling homes. Within shouting distance from where any of us lives is enough need to wear you skinny. Volunteer at your local food pantry, a member of my book club is eighty and she volunteers three days a week in a reading program and spends more than 20 hours a week on her church's relief fund for Hati ...

Housewives and everyday folks raised over one hundred thousand dollars last year.

I have and would give more cash donations to St. Jude's HOspital for Children because they never turn anyone down for lack of money and they run the best charitable organization in the world.

Research who you give to and again, try to keep it close to home. Waiting for later, is like waiting for Godot... it might not happen.

Bless you for such a loving post. You hit home :)

Jules said...

I think I do this now without money. Sometimes we can give something more valuable than money. Time. He also taught compassion and caring neither of which requires anything but ourselves.

My dream would be that every child had food and music. Two things that can carry you anywhere :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

salarsenッ said...

Great post! Makes us think. I've been involved in youth sport organizations for over fourteen years, maybe more. Lost count. It's great to keep kids busy and healthy.

Oddyoddyo13 said...

I'd want to help the environment and encourage people to go green....BUT, my biggest ambition is to speak out against bullying and set up a program for suicidal teens. Things like that need to be spoken about, no matter how people don't want to listen.

LTM said...

I actually have thought about this. Dreaming and such, and I was thinking I wanted to fund a grant of some kind for young writers. Either to help them get training or maybe to allow them to take a year off to focus on writing. It's so hard to work and write at the same time...

yep, the wheels are turning. Great post, P~ :o) <3

gideon 86 said...

For me, it all about kids and animals. I would set up funding for children with cancer and other health issues and I would also create a a place where no animal would be turned away or killed unnecessarily.

Michael

Colene Murphy said...

Awe wow PK! What a lovely post.

It's funny, because my dreams have always coincided with one another. Sell a book, buy some land to take in strays and unwanted cats, and educate people on cat care! I will be the crazy cat author. ;)

Stephen Tremp said...

I have a couple charities I support. Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC) and Susan Komen Race for the Cure.

Carla White said...

I wrote a blog recently about some of the small things I do for causes that are close to my heart (http://by-the-waters-edge.blogspot.com/2010/12/one-person.html). If I had more time and resources, I would donate more time and money to these causes - the MS Society of Canada, Project Read, Good Will, and The Food Bank, just to name a few.

T C Mckee said...

Oh, I'd take myself to Hawaii just so people could see me. Kidding! Totally kidding. I think I would also donate books, visit schools to promote more reading. Kids don't do enough of that anymore. I'd also donate to my local food bank. It's sad to know that so many in this day and time simply don't have meat for dinner when my family sometimes has two choices instead of none. After that, the list would be too long to list and my husband would probably take the check book away from me. I love to give too much sometimes. Not a bad trait. Great post!!!

T C Mckee said...

BTW, look at that Electropositive blog award. Who could have come up with such a clever idea? Hum...It sure ended up in the right place. I know that much.