Friday, February 4, 2011

Romancing the Muse

Earlier this week Hubby and I took a canoe trip down the river while the kids were in school. It may tick off some of you who are bundled up in snuggies and Uggs right now, but our weather down south has been amazing. Crisp, cool days when the sun feels so good you could fall asleep basking in it. I know you hate me, don't you. ;)

But these are our pleasant months. Soon it will be miserably hot and muggy.

I was reminded on our canoe trip how important it is to "romance" our muses. They need to be coddled and loved and nutured just like a lover would be. It's so easy to get stuck in cyber world and glued to our computers pecking away at our new stories and blog posts. But geez, Louise! Don't you just feel totally blah sometimes from it? My brain turns to mush.

Drifting down the serene river in silence except for the birds was just what my muse needed to feel loved again. I was so inspired by the way the knobby cypress trees refelected in perfect symmetry on the river, and the way that nature forms her own little nooks and crannies in the earth, that I was overflowing with ideas for my next story. I was in writer wonderland ... world building in my head like you wouldn't believe.

My muse said, "Thank you, girl. This is what I'm talkin' about."

Have you romanced your muse lately? Try it. Find the magic in the ice crusted ponds and icicle laden trees. Find inspiration in the blankets of white, sparkling snow. Or if you're like me and snowless, get outside and enjoy the beauty of nature that surrounds us. Your muse will thank you.

On a side note, my friend Beth Fred, formerly of Project 52 and fellow YA writer,  has a new website up and needs some lurve. Hop over and give her a follow if you can. She's super nice and will return the favor.

Also, Rachel Harrie of Rach Writes has started the Blogging Crusade! Hop over and sign up so you can enjoy building your platform with other hopeful writers! What a fantastic way to network! Don't miss out.

Do you have any advice to keeping your muse nurtured and happy? Please share! 

Have a wonderful weekend!

25 comments:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Thanks for the reminder about Rach's blogging crusade. She reminded me last night and I forgot again. Geeesh. Must be the freezing cold weather. ;)

Melissa said...

My muse needs romancing constantly. She's very high maintenance

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Getting away from the computer usually helps!
Our summers are muggy as well. Yuck.

Florence said...

Great post ... I also love the winters in the south. It is special to get outside and let nature inside :)

E.J. Wesley said...

My Muse is cheap ... she usually only needs a glass of red and some evocative music to be receptive to my overtures! :)

I'm in the same weather boat as you (normally). These are the pretty months here in South Texas; although, I woke up to ice and snow this morning, so who knows anymore?

Jules said...

I feed mine. You know the food of senses. Sight, touch, hear and smell. But you can't do that hunched over a screen looking down a tunnel :)

Can you send some of that warmth north? :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Elena Solodow said...

It is so easy to forget that the highest forms of inspiration come from experiencing life. Great post!

Summer Ross said...

Great links- That crusade thing looks like alot of fun!

salarsenッ said...

You know, I think that's just what I need: to romance my muse. Thanks for the inspiration!! And what's this blogging crusade. I must check it out.

Tracy said...

I have to do that sometimes too. My imagination tends to wander when it's told to do something else. So doing things OTHER than writing always helps my mind wander back to it.

It's a very tricky thing to be ADHD.

Carla White said...

Sounds idyllic, and while it is much colder here in Central Canada, I've still found inspiration on sunny days when the light makes the snow and ice sparkle. I went for a walk over Christmas holidays and gave my muse the nourishment you speak of. It was awesome. When I don't have a chance to hit the outdoors, I just try to relax, take a bath or sit in my hot tub to clear my mind of nothing but inspiration.

Meredith said...

I want to go on a canoe trip! My muse would love that. For now, I'll coddle it with a walk.

gideon 86 said...

FLORIDA is thee place to be right now. MY poor muse is frozen under two feet of snow. BUT... I hope to defrost her at the end of the month planning to escape to Florida and house sit for a friend for a few months....

Hope to see you around PK..... I'll be in Cocoa beach only a few hours from Tampa. How about meeting for a butterbeer at the three broomsticks in Hogsmeade. Orlando's only an hour from both of us.... MY muse LOVES butterbeer! lol


Michael

Pk Hrezo said...

LOL! You guys crack me up! This is why I love writer friends... so clever. :)

@Michael sounds great! Lemme know your dates and we'll see what we can arrange. Dying to get to Hogsmeade with the fam.

Nas Dean said...

I take my muse for long walks and if it doesn't help then for long drives. Thanks for the links. I'm going to check it!

Jennifer Jackson said...

Music helps me with my muse, as does taking a stroll. If those things don't work, I try to go somewhere in I haven't been in awhile or have never been. It seems to work well enough.

I would love to travel though, I've never done it.

M Pax said...

My muse has pounded on the keyboard like a dog. Lifting my head up for some romancing. :)

Glad you enjoyed your adventure.

Julie Musil said...

It's great that you and hubby got away. Getting outside works wonders for me, as does a chick flick. I now watch movies with a notepad because ideas just come to me when I'm relaxed.

DL Hammons said...

The family and I are headed to Disney World and Harry Potter land at the end of the month. There's nothing like Disney to get the imagination churning!!! :)

Melissa Bradley said...

I like to go on art dates with my Muse. I go to places that I love like the Art Institute or walking along Lake Michigan. I will also watch movies that inspire me. I can just picture the Cypress trees, thanks for that great image. :)

chenoafawn said...

Hello fellow crusader :)

Write well. Write often.

Chenoa

William Kendall said...

My muse is quite happy with all of the snow and the cold and the ice!

Rachael Harrie said...

Hey PK, thanks for the shout-out! Welcome on board the Crusade, we're in for quite a ride this year ;)

Hugs,

Rach

Amanda Milner said...

Hello from a fellow crusader!

Stephanie Skeem said...

Hiya crusader,

I like your writing, and look forward to getting to know you better.

Hope you have a great day,

Steph