Friday, February 11, 2011

That's YAmore Blogfest

Starting today, Oasis for YA is running a weekend long romance-fest. *gasp* *swoon*



I'm posting 250 words of a romantic scene from my most recent story, contemporary YA, Starsong. Check mine out, then hop on over to blogfest HDQ at Oasis for YA and read all the entries!

But first! Just a few things of note, then I'd love any feedback or comments for my swoon worthy scene.

Jules, over at Trying to Get Over the Rainbow has left me a valentine with the understanding that I pass it on to all my lovely bleeps. Please accept this special valentine from me to you. Post it with pride on your own blog and pass it on to your own bleeps. Sealed With A Kiss *smooch*

 Also, Amber Argyle has a fantasy giveaway going on, so check out her blog for the deets. It's super easy. And if you didn't already know, DL Hammons Whodunit contest is happening right now and it's murder mystery blogtastic!

Okay, now for a scene from Starsong. Just to kind of set the scene for you, Wynonna and Sami have been playing music together for a couple of weeks now, all the while the attraction growing between them. This scene is when they both realize there's something more. It's 4th of July at the lake. They're alone on a hill top:


          The first of the fireworks whistles through the night, then pops and crackles over the trees. Neon colors splatter across the sky, reflected by the lake, and drawing my attention away for only seconds.
            I look back at Sami, his face is only inches from mine. “Fireworks,” I say.
Duh. Way to be Captain Obvious, Wynonna.
            Sami says nothing. He takes one of my hands in his, then the other, standing in front of me now. His hands are warm, his skin soft. I can smell the sandalwood on his clothes.
            He raises our hands between us, our fingers intertwining slowly, then palms pressing together with more force. And that's all it takes—a single touch to trigger the feelings that have been building inside of me. We embrace. I allow my hands to run up along his back, feeling the warmth of his body and welcoming it so closely to mine.
            A gasp escapes my lips. I didn't know he'd feel this good. He caresses my arms, my back. This touch is long overdue, but still our lips haven't met. Something so erotic stirs inside me—a swirling of emotion and desire like I've never felt. He pulls just barely away from me. I search his face for a sign.
            His eyes are blazing like embers, making my insides twist into a knot. I've been dreaming of seeing him in just this way. His face approaches mine. Our lips touch, blend, unite. I could swallow him whole. His mouth tastes like comfort food—warm, nourishing. I let the passion inside me take over my body, kissing him harder, deeper. He lifts me up, our lips still locked together, as he carries me.
            Fireworks still whistle, pop, and crackle overhead, but I can't tell if they're from my body or from the pyrotechnic display. I don’t care which it is. All I care about is Sami here with me, our bodies together.

Thanks for reading! If you have any constructive suggestions, I'm all ears. 

Tune in Monday for a First Kiss Blogfest! I'll be posting from my other story. Hope to see you then! Hope you have a swoon worthy weekend, or at least chill, if nothing else. ;)

23 comments:

Nas Dean said...

Thanks for the blogger love and the smooch, muaahh... right back at you!

The excerpt sounds interesting.

Tony Benson said...

Goodness, I'm all hot and bothered now! I think you hit the spot with that - well written!

I'm looking forward to catching up with you some more during the crusade.

Margo Benson said...

Oh, that's lovely - it really captures those early experiences (well mine anyway!)and keeps the voice young.

Tracy said...

Okay, you are the second excerpt I've read using present tense. If I start dipping into it by accident when I'm editing my past tense manuscript, I'm gonna blame the both of you. LOL

All joking aside. Fireworks and kisses, I like the fact she can't tell whether they're the real ones or the ones Sami makes her feel. Good job, PK!

Jules said...

First, thanks for spreading the love :)

Your excerpt, I think it is perfect. Seems everything is in proportion to me, just enough description, setting and emotion to put me in the scene. I loved it but now I have that darn Katie Perry song in my head, LOL.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

salarsenッ said...

Thank you for the Valentine. Love it! AND steamy sweetness seems to be all over this place. Nice excerpt. Thanks for participating PK!

Florence said...

Thanks for the Valentine and a great post,PK. :)

The analogy of fireworks and the first kiss is a classic ... you have given a new dimension ... good work.

Rayna M. Iyer said...

You mean that is only 250 words? You are brilliant at setting the scene and creating tension.
Now excuse me- I need to cool off a bit.

DL Hammons said...

I thank you...and my wife will be thanking you shortly. My thanks is for the mention of the mystery contest. Her thanks is because she's not out of bed yet and I'm about give her an intimate wake-up call. :)

Lydia K said...

Great excerpt! Lots of fireworks going on, he he.
:)

Colene Murphy said...

Awesome bit of writing!!

Beth said...

You're a great writer, PK
bethfred.com

Lois D. Brown said...

A love scene on the fourth of July. Perfect! July 4th is my favorite holiday (or at least it ties with Christmas.) I loved it. One thing. The "comfort food" line pulled me a tiny bit out of the moment. I don't know why. The analogy seemed less intense than the emotions you had me feeling. But, I could be wrong. BTW, I found you on Rach Writes with the crusaders thing. I'm now following you. My blog is www.idevourkidbooks.blogspot.com

Pk Hrezo said...

THanks for the comments, guys! Appreciate the feedback so much. Happy Friday! :)

erica and christy said...

Hmm, he carries her away, huh? Now I need to know where they're going! And I love the fact that they're kissing near some fireworks (and not just because I have an important July 4th romance scene in mine, too...)
erica

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I was cold before reading this, but now I'm overheating. Oh la la! :D

Jessica Lei said...

I think this was well done! Great writing :D As for any suggestions, I guess I really wanted you to get right into the kiss. The emrace felt forced for some reason, but it wasn't BAD at all. Very sensual. Maybe if you could add the touching with the kissing? Either way, it was a great scene. Thanks for sharing!

DEZMOND said...

wish we had a live coverage of that scene on YouTube :)

Regina said...

Great post. Love your first 250 and thank you for the Valentine blogger love. Look forward for Monday's post. Have a good weekend.

Sophia Richardson said...

I liked his eyes being like embers, it was a nice link to the firework display and seemed fitting considering things were, uh, heating up. And not being able to tell if the fireworks were from her body or the display was good too. I second what Erica and Christy said, I want to know where he's carrying her to!
- Sophia.

LTM said...

Reow! Hot stuff! I really like the hands sliding up the back... Very nice. This is a great fest for V'day--thanks for sharing, P~ :o) <3

E.C. Smith said...

Man, I need a fan. Great scene. And thanks for the Valentine love.

Big wave from a fellow crusader!

William Kendall said...

Very nice passage, PK!