Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lost and Found

BLOGFEST!!! Lost and Found Blogfest hosted by the lovely Myne Whitman.

The idea is to write a short piece about something that you've lost and found. Anything! This is in honor of Myne's new romance release out this month, A Love Rekindled. Check it out on Myne's blog, as well as all the entries.

Here's mine:

When I was twenty-five I did a tour of Italy by myself. I'd just broken up from a three year relationship and I wanted to indulge myself. I know, so Eat, Pray, Love, right? Yeah, I totally get her. Spent time in India later too, by coincidence. But anyway, I bought a coach driven tour of the Tuscany countryside and bought some goods in the different villages. It was November and I was doing my Christmas shopping for the fam. Somehow, in the midst of my Italian indulgences, I lost my shopping bag with all the gifts in it. I didn't even realize it until much, much later when I arrived back in the States. After Italy I went on to Germany for another week and the bag could've been lost anywhere. Total bummer. I had some nice stuff in there. 
Well, about a month later, a week or so before Christmas, I received a package in the mail. Inside, was that shopping bag with all my Italian goodies! There was also a letter from one of the guys who had sat in the back of the coach near me. He was American as well, and he'd found my bag later after I'd deboarded and held onto it for me. Of course, I was elated. Sure, they were just material possessions, but the fact this guy went to the trouble of finding my address and mailing it, instead of keeping them for himself? Just awesome. I sent him a huge thank you card with my heartfelt appreciation. Funny thing is, I don't even remember his name. But I remember how good it felt to be the recipient of that act of kindness .

Having mentioned random acts of kindness, have y'all heard of the Write Hope campaign? You can bid on all kinds of things from books to critiques and all funds go to help the victims of the earthquake in Japan. There's some great stuff there. Click on the pic below and check it out!



How about you? Has there ever been anything you've lost and found again? Or a random act of kindness bestowed upon you? Please share ... 

22 comments:

Amie Kaufman said...

I feel warm and fuzzy just reading about it--what a great guy, to hang onto it, bring it home and post it to you! This week has been a big lost and found week for me. We're unpacking our house after finaly finishing our renovations, and every day's brought moments of 'oh, that's where THAT went!'. We've even found some things that were lost before we packed up, go figure!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A mmost enjoyable read and thanks for sharing it with us,

Yvonne,

Sophia Richardson said...

First of all, the touring Italy and India thing? I'd like to hear more about *that*. That was so nice of the American to send your stuff back to you, gotta love small acts of kindness.
- Sophia.

Old Kitty said...

Nice act of kindness - all the way from Italy!! Good strong voice too!

Thanks for sharing, take care
x

The Words Crafter said...

Wow, that's awesome! That's one of the things that impresses me-real kindness. Great story :)

Melissa Bradley said...

What an awesome story. Thank you for sharing. :)

This doesn't exactly qualify as a random act of kindness, I guess, but when I was in college, I had my purse stolen. I was devastated because my grandfather's rosary was in there and my hard earned paycheck. Two days later, a priest came to my dorm with my purse. The thief had apparently left it in the rectory mailbox. I could not believe it. Only the cash was missing, the rosary and my paycheck were still in there. Along with my id's and credit card. Nothing had been charged to the card, either, as I found out when I called.

Jaydee Morgan said...

Cool story - and no matter how small the act of kindness, it always means so much more to us.

Rogue Mutt said...

Boy, if I tried to follow all these blogfests I wouldn't ever get anything done.

Nicholas Denmon said...

That is a really cool story. Thanks for stopping by my blog too. It is great to know someone besides family and friends is taking an interest in my life :) I especially enjoy meeting fellow writers.

Nas Dean said...

Such a nice act of kindness! What a great guy!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing! :) Last year I lost my wallet. I was freaking out, wondering where in the world I had put it. A few hours later, I got a phone-call from my mom, saying that a friend of ours found my wallet in the parking lot of the store I had gone to earlier that day. I can't imagine what would have happened had he not been the one to find it! And he returned it without a thought. I was super lucky, and so thankful for our friend that found it! Small world! :) There are some good people out there.

McKenzie McCann said...

Wow, it's good to know people like that are still around. And man, I'm so jealous of that trip. It sounds fabulous.

Florence said...

Loved your story. When people do things like that, we once again believe in the good of people. Well done :)

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, nice story! And I was totally supposed to do this blogfest and forgot about it. If I don't get something in my sidebar right away, all that is left is a nagging in my brain that I'm meant to be somewhere, with no clue what it was or how to track it down...

Trisha said...

Okay, THAT is an awesome story! I love people :D

erica and christy said...

Yay. What a remarkable guy to do that for you. Always nice to hear/read reminders that considerate and compassionate people are out there. Which is why there are sites like Write Hope working to help others out. Thanks! christy

Maria McKenzie said...

What a great story and what a great guy!

RosieC said...

What a great story. That would make a great short story from the guy's perspective, too. Nice guy. :)

Thanks for the info on the Japan fund raising. I hadn't heard of that one yet.

Stephen Tremp said...

I try to practice kind acts every day. And where do I begin about lost items. Maybe there's a rogue wormhole following me around and swiping my stuff.

LTM said...

omg! That totally sounds like the start of a story... you should write it~ :D <3

Gina Blechman said...

What a great story! I wish things like that happened in my life. I'd certainly enter the blogfest, but I'm pretty sure nothing I've lost and found could be quite that epic. *Dreamy sigh* Oh well. Lucky You!

<3 Gina Blechman

T C Mckee said...

I agree, you should write it. Have him turn out gorgeous and he follows you through the countryside of Italy, always a few moments behind, then to your door, only to find you off to Germany, then...you get the picture. I'm loving this already. I went on a cruise by myself after my divorce a long time ago. It was a little lonely at first, but it gave me a whole new perspective. Bet that trip was awesome. And the food...Omigod.