Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Luck O'the Irish...

Blogfest, that is! And a very HAPPY ST. PATTY's DAY to ye!



Colene and Alexia are hosting a Luck O'the Irish blogfest so hop over to read all the entries. The idea is to write a 200 word flash fiction, or something of the like, to honor St. Patrick's Day.

Here's mine:




I finished off my pint and wiped the heady foam from my lip. No way I was gonna feel sorry for myself today. “Bartender, how bout another?” The words seemed to disappear into the abyss of voices and music. Then I caught a glint at the end of the bar and jerked my head in that direction.

What looked like a gold coin was spinning on the bar top. I watched it spin, waiting for someone to reach out and claim it, but it just kept spinning. Snatching it, I rolled it over and examined it. It wasn't a euro, or like anything I’d seen before—a four leaf clover was imprinted on both sides.

“I was wondering how long it’d take for someone to see that there gold piece,” a voice said.

I looked down at a green clad man the size of a toddler, a red beard on his face and an impish grin.

“Ah, now don’t be telling me you nay believe in leprechauns. It’s your lucky day, lass, but you have to be willing, or your luck’ll run out fast.”

“Willing for what?”

“To follow me, lass …”

I glanced at the coin, then back at my hallucination who called himself a leprechaun. “Okay, yeah. I’m willing. And I could sure use a bit of luck.”

His smile widened, showing his crooked little teeth. “I knew you were the one, could feel it in me bones. Come along … your rainbow awaits …”








Have a wonderful day and may the luck o'the Irish be with you! Erin go bragh!

29 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Wonderful post, excellnt to read.

Happy St' Patricks Day,

Yvonne.

Tracy said...

Love it, I used the leprechaun too (won't be the least bit surprised to see a few of them today). Though I'll say, yours was a quite bit nicer than mine!

Hart Johnson said...

Very cute! Hope the luck sticks with you!!!

Colene Murphy said...

Excellent! I want to be the lucky chosen one! Awesome post, PK! Thanks so much! Marked you down!

Mary Vaughn said...

So happy and too cute! May the luck stay with you.

Donea Lee said...

Ah, wouldn't that be awesome? To be chosen, rather than have to catch a leprechaun for the gold. Great entry! Happy St. Patty's Day to you ~ :)

DM said...

Loved your story and the pics!

Holly Ruggiero said...

Very sweet hallucination.

RosieC said...

Very cute. Thanks for sharing :)

Florence said...

Tried three times earlier to get in, but could not. That is funny. Of course, you know the Irish are afeared of the wee people and the mischief and mayhem they are known to cause?

Now, I'd love to know what happened to the poor man. Happy St. Pat's to you PK. Have a stout on me :)

T C Mckee said...

I love me some little people. Great post. Happy St Patty's Day!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

May the luck of the Irish always be at your side! Hibbs found a leprechaun, too, in my entry. His was a bit ill-tempered. Hibbs was underwhelmed. Happy St. Patrick's Day, Roland

Old Kitty said...

Awww your rainbow awaits you! Lovely!!!

Happy St Patrick's Day to you!! My first time on your blog - I like the swirly blue wavy wallpaper! Take care
x

N. R. Williams said...

If nothing else, she got a gold coin. Glad you stopped by my blog. I tried to follow your link today and blogger kept telling me I had to sign in. Very strange, do you think blogger got taken over by little green men?
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium, Special .99 through April 30

Pk Hrezo said...

Yep, thank you to all who stopped by! I put my link in wrong on the linky tool and, of course, no one could click over. But a huge thanks to all of you who made it over anyway!!

alexia said...

Great story! And I love your flirty Irish girl pic and the cool shamrock glasses!

Thanks for participating!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, PK,

Happy St. Paddy's to you! I tried getting to you this morning but you link didn't work. NOW...

It's such a great story. I loved that everyone was too drunk to see the spinning coin... Nice touch.

Michael

McKenzie McCann said...

I don't support the Christian massacre of all the Irish Celtics. That's what St. Patrick did, and that is why we 'honor' him by wearing green.

Arcita said...

i'm gonna go on a whim and say that you are the winner. if you aren't have the judges see me and i will give them a fortified knuckle sandwich courtesy of my friend bulging bicep billy.

Laura said...

Yay, I'm so glad I came back to take another look - that was fab!
Lx

Debra Ann Elliott said...

Great read. Left me wanting to read more. Thanks for stopping by Writing with Debra and the follow. I'm following back.

Margo Kelly said...

Well done! :)

LTM said...

yay! And you didn't even have to catch him~ :D <3

kmckendry said...

I love it:)

Melissa Sarno said...

I want my rainbow! Maybe next year :-) Such a fun story!

IanBontems said...

Nice story. Love the tone and that leprechaun was brilliant. The way it ended with such possibility was very cool.

Jennie Bailey said...

I love your story and that last picture killed me!! Too funny!

Amie Kaufman said...

Ha, love it! Hope you had a great St Paddy's!

Melissa Bradley said...

If only I could find one of these red-bearded toddlers after I've had my green beer. Great piece, I loved it. :)