Friday, March 25, 2011

Paint it Purple!

Blogfest, that is!


Erin Spock's hosting this deliciously auspicious blogfest, encouraging writers to lay on the purple prose. You know, exactly what fiction writers are NOT supposed to do, but that's what makes it so much fun. What can I say, I'm a just a rebel.

We're supposed to use a snippet from our current story, but I wrote a short piece just for this. Don't worry, it's very short. I won't make you suffer (too much.)

The sturdy weight of the brush lingered in my hand, giving me such a feeling of serene satisfaction. Gingerly, I dipped the shiny black bristles into the rich, glistening lavender paint, closing my eyes in ecstacy as I swirled it through the thick liquid. The pungent odor of chemicals filled my nostrils and reminded me of my destiny--of the elegant artist I was meant to be. Ever so carefully, I patted the excess paint from my brush, angling my hand and marveling at the hearty flow of lavender back into the paint can. Delicately, I brought color to the canvas, stroking in effervescent wisps across the white--freeing the capricious creator inside and lovingly, soulfully bringing life to the open space before me. I had entered a total trance of glorious, infinite meditation.


LOL. Yep, I's painting there. ;)

Thank you for stopping by! Don't forget to check out the other purple prose painters at HDQ. Just click on the pic above.  Also, thanks to all who commented on my last post about my ABNA review. It is so very encouraging to be in a blogging community with all of you. Such a treat getting to know all of you and experiencing our ups and downs together. I'm hoping whatever feedback I receive, whether positive or negative, can in someway help you on your path as well. Hey, we all learn from each other, right?

I'm happy to share this journey with you. You guys rock! :)

Oh and there's still time to sign up for the Harry Potter blogfest on Michael di Gesu's In Time blog! His last HP blogfest was so much fun! I really enjoyed reading all the entries. And who wouldn't wanna imagine themselves in the world of HP??

Have a wonderful weekend. And tell me, do you find yourself using purple prose in your writing? I've been known to get a little purple at times, thank goodness for trusty critique partners that call me out, though!

16 comments:

salarsenッ said...

What a stupendously, adventurous manipulation of purple prose!! (LOL)

Great job! Love sentence #2.

Sophia Richardson said...

Despite my wordy first drafts I manage to steer clear of the purple prose problem. I'll need to prune some characters though.
- Sophia.

Trisha said...

HAHA, you transcribe to your blog from your mind with such impressive luxury of prose. Err...yeah. Lost myself in those last few words. LOL

This was a fun yet painful blogfest ;)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Sounds very interesting, I love the colour purple.

Have a good week-end.
Yvonne,

Jules said...

PK, loved your purple prose as for me... I left purple back in the 70's. Too much of anything is not good :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Tracy said...

Actually that wasn't a bad little snippet!!

That being sad, if I had to read an entire book these days with that much purple I think I'd jump off a bridge. I'm a product of my time. I want juicy plot and don't drag me down with the flowery details. :D

Old Kitty said...

You weren't just painting you were painting sublimely with rich colours and amazing tones and textures!!! Loved this - very purpley! Take care
x

Talli Roland said...

I admit that I LOVE purple prose! The more purple, the better! :)

Have a great weekend.

Lindz Pagel said...

I like that your character was even painting in purple.
I agree with Talli to a certain extent, I like a little tint of purple- but there is definitely a line where it can get too heavy.

Julie Musil said...

What a fun entry! And the font was purple, too :D

You know what? I'm glad I'm on this journey with amazing writers like YOU!

Myne Whitman said...

LOL...This is so much fun, right? Yours took me into a trance almost..

Florence said...

This was a fun post and your "purple prose" are exquisite :)

Kari Marie said...

I have never heard of purple prose before. *googles* thanks for teaching me something new today. Thanks! Your prose was purple and delicious.

Raquel Byrnes said...

You are the adverb queen. Wow. Great entry. =)

Erin Kane Spock said...

That was awesome. I bet you could fill a chapter describing the act of eating a sandwich. Thanks for participating.

I sometimes throw in a little purple, usually in either scenery or passion. Then I go back, like Chanel, and remove the things that stand out. I do enjoy the activity of descriptive writing (my St. Patrick's day blogfest entry), it's sometimes freeing and gets my words flowing. I just don't enjoy reading super descriptive writing, I don't have the patience.

Cally Jackson said...

What a wonderful, amazing, splendiferous example of purple prose. I have to be careful of getting a little too purple at times, but don't mind if a hint remains - it is a luxuriously beautiful colour, after all!