Wednesday, April 6, 2011

E is for Excerpt

Thanks for stopping by today! I love having you here and appreciate all of your comments. :)

E is for Excerpt. And this is an excerpt from one of my fave books on writing, Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. If you haven't read it before, you should pick it up like, TODAY. If you have read it, read it again. I just read it for the second time.

Anyway .... *ahem* ...

"Because for some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die. They are full of the things you don't get in real life--wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. And quality of attention; we may notice amazing details during the course of a day but we rarely let ourselves stop and really pay attention. An author makes you notice, makes you pay attention, and this is a great gift. My gratitude for good writing is unbounded; I'm grateful for it the way I'm grateful for the ocean. Aren't you?"

My answer is a resounding YES. How about you?

28 comments:

Cally Jackson said...

A whole-hearted 'YES!' from me. This excerpt reminds me of the bittersweet feeling you get when you finish a really good book, so glad to have read it, but wishing you could spend more time in the company of your new friends...

Carrie said...

YES! Thanks for a great post that made me smile :)

Sophia Richardson said...

I second (third) the yeses, good writing -- good stories -- is what drags me to the library every weekend. And I need to double check if my library has ordered a copy of Bird by Bird yet.
- Sophia.

Jules said...

I hate following the crowd but I guess just once, yes :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Old Kitty said...

Yes from me too! :-) Take care
x

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Yes from me also.

Yvonne,

A. Lockwood said...

I love Bird by Bird. And great excerpt!

LM Preston said...

Thanks for letting us know about Bird by Bird!

kmckendry said...

YES! I love being surrounded by books.

i.ikeda said...

Yes, yes, yes, and thank you for reminding me of it. Since I have to do so much reading for work research, I sometimes forget how much I enjoy the written words.

Norma Beishir said...

A definite YES!

Margo Kelly said...

YES! :) Great one.

DM said...

I love these A,B,C's PK. Yes - of course. My life would be so empty without all the great books I've read.

fOIS In The City said...

How could we not want to say yes to this? I love mine so I have carried some with me for more than 40 years. Older than most of your readership and a great deal of wonder to be had from them all :)

D U Okonkwo said...

Si Si Si! Definitely! :o)

muso-blog-hog said...

Hey PK ~~ great post ! I always say that non-readers don't know what they are missing out on ! They'll never know ...
Enjoy the rest of the A~Z Challenge !

~MICHELLE~
http://writer-in-transit.co.za/category/other/rambles-rants-and-raves/

M.J. Fifield said...

Definitely YES!

I love this book so very much and this is the second blog I've seen it on today. So glad it's getting some attention!


M.J. Fifield
My Pet Blog

Rachel said...

Yeah, i am glad that books are so significant in all our lives. It educates, nourishes, uplifts and entertains you in a million ways.

What will the world be without books?

Laura M. Campbell said...

I love Bird by Bird! I'm forever changed by it. Yes, I'm grateful authors and the books that capture their words. My life would be incomplete without them. Good luck with the challenge!

Kittie Howard said...

Absolutely, YES! I also liked what your first commenter said. There are some books in my bookcase that, when I pause and take a look, they kinda seem like people to me.

AllMyPosts said...

Yeah!!

books are the best buddies of mine!! They say, books are the last resolute of a sane man!!

with warm regards
http://becomingprice.blogspot.com

Stephen Tremp said...

Yes. Although I don't talk to me bookks or feed them or tuck them in at night I do consider them my friends.

Trisha said...

I sure am!!!

Catherine Denton said...

I love this book (and the excerpt)! Thanks for the grateful reminder.
My Blog

AshR said...

Amazing excerpt. It's a big yes from me, too. Reading is an escape from the monotony of reality.

Lynda R Young said...

Yes indeed! :)

Elena Solodow said...

YES!

steroids blog said...

Excellent new topics, always interesting to read articles that are relevant to the topic, thanks for all the great news and responses.