Friday, April 8, 2011

G is for Gusto

I just love that word. It says it all, doesn't it? Gusto is what keeps us barreling through when times are tough. Gusto is what gives our projects the extra oomph needed to make it shine. And a little goes a long way. Just that little extra gusto added in our voice, makes a world of difference.

People see it. They flock to it. They want it for themselves, want to know how they can get it.

Gusto is enthusiasm, and zest. But if I had to break it down, I'd say gusto also comes from determination, dedication, faith, confidence, desire, and never giving up.

We should write with gusto, parent with gusto, work with gusto, blog with gusto!

You know who has gusto? This girl:


Have you heard of Beth Hamilton? There's a movie out right now--the true story of her life. If you don't know, she had big dreams of being a pro surfer. She was born into a family of surfers, and lived for riding the waves. She was good too, winning competitions as early as age 8.

At age 13, Bet was attacked by a 14 foot tiger shark while on her board and lost her arm. And she thought, she'd lost her hopeful career as well.

One month later, Beth returned to the water. She would pursue her dream, regardless the obstacles. One arm? No problem. She was determined to make it work. And she did! Two months after the attack she placed fifth in a competition. One year later, she'd won her first national title.

What an amazing person. It's no surprise she's inspired peeps all over the world. How'd she do it? No one would've knocked her down for taking a break from surfing--she'd lost an arm! Imagine how to balance with one arm. Ever tried surfing? It ain't as easy as the pros make it look.

I'm willing to bet, this girl has so much gusto, she could NOT sit back and assume the disabled label wanting to take over her life. It's such a great story to remind us that we all have obstacles, and sometimes life just doesn't want to cooperate with what we want. Do we crawl inside our shells and cower, or do we shake our fist in the air and shout, "You got me this time, but I'll be back!"

Why? Because we love it too much to give up. That's gusto.

So why not add in a little extra gusto today. It's contagious.

Is there anyone you can think of that makes you think "Now that's a person with gusto!" ?? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

23 comments:

Liz Fichera said...

I am so looking forward to the Soul Surfer movie. What an inspiring girl!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Her story is incredible!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Yes, an incredible story, well written and I enjoyed the read.
Yvonne.

Jessica Bell said...

What an inspiring story. No, I hadn't heard of her. One person who I know has gusto is this man who lost both his arms, but continued to play guitar ... with his feet. Can't remember his name. Damn ...

Jules said...

I can't wait to see this movie. I remember the attack. As to gusto, I think we all just need to look around. There are a lot of common folk right now mustering gusto.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Old Kitty said...

Yay for inspirational people with gusto like the fabulous Beth Hamilton!

Anyone who gets through a tough and demanding day with kindness and consideration inspires me! Take care
x

Elena Solodow said...

I saw the trailer for Beth's movie recently and was blown away - what an amazing story!

There are so many bloggers who have gusto! The ones who post every day, comment every day...and still find time to write.

Also random, but Gusto always reminds me of Pesto.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I saw the preview for the movie and started to cry. Still going to see it though. The stories amazing. :D

I'll just make sure I take a healthy supply of Kleenxes with me.

I like to think I face life with gusto. :D

CobraMisfit said...

I've always respected Dan Jansen. After two Olympics where he failed to medal, and the heartbreak and humiliation that went with it, to comeback and win gold in his final appearance was stunning. Like Beth, it takes a lot of determination and fortitude to overcome something like that.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Love your GUSTO in this post, PK!

An inspiring and amazing story...

D U Okonkwo said...

Yep, I totally agree - Gusto = passion, enthusiasm,, dilligence, persistence - it's what makes for success :)

Norma Beishir said...

Aron Ralston.

kmckendry said...

Wow! That's real gusto. I've never even been close to a shark and I'm terrified of them.

Kittie Howard said...

Great G and great post! Beth's story is amazing and an inspiration to everyone to stick to it. One of the nightly news programs had a segment on her. Really looking forward to the movie. She had every reason to feel sorry for herself but didn't. I hope the movie inspires others to dig deeper when adversity hits.

Shari said...

When I read the title of your post, I thought, I need me some of that gusto. And then I read your post, and now I'm feeling like some of it rubbed off. Thanks!

Lori M. Lee said...

Definitely one of the most inspiring stories out there. People like her push us to keep going even when it feels like there's nothing left. Looking forward to the movie!

Angeline said...

I love finding gusto in ordinary people just living their lives. At primary school our recorder teacher only had one arm but taught us recorder all the same. I think that's gusto!

Libby said...

Gusto and Zest, they'd be awesome character names too!

fOIS In The City said...

There must be more than one, but as a writer the first person I thought of was Stephan King. Being poor is an understatment, but he and his wife refused to give up on his dream. Anyone who thinks of cashing it in because of a rejection needs to read his book on writing, which is also like a biographay.

The best story was about his first hit ... a best seller that became his first blockbuster movie. He threw the story in the trash and his wife saw it and took it out, read it and then gave it back to him. "Rewrite this and send it out."

The night they got "the" letter (remember this is all before computers) they were flat broke, one of his kids needed medicine to fight off a bad flu and they were down to pennies in the bank.

His firs book dead and first hit movie? Carrie. His wife is his most trusted BETA reader and never lets him give up. Read the story of what happened when he almost died a few years back. Love the man and the story and it always makes me know, we should never give up on our dreams.

LTM said...

oh! I have seen the trailer for that movie, and it looks amazing. I'd love to go see it, but I'm afraid it's too strong for my little ladies. :p Still yes, gusto. It sounds like what it is! Good one~ <3

Carla White said...

Gusto is a great word! I definitely need more of it in my life. I recently read Lance Armstrong's "It's Not About the Bike" and he's definitely a person I think of when I think of a person with gusto. He had testicular cancer, lung cancer and several brain tumors and was not expected to live. But he survived the cancer AND he won the Tour de France after just two years of being better.

Kelly M. Olsen said...

Great G post. I can't wait to see Beth's movie. Love your blog; I'm now a follower.

Snakesmom said...

My daughter has been looking forward to seeing this movie and I am excited about taking her to such a inspirational flick for once. Great post!