Tuesday, April 12, 2011

J is for Jiggy

'Cause I'm getting jiggy with it. Remember that song? I love Will Smith. 

Anyway, I'm getting jiggy with my WIP, a MG fantasy titled, X Dare and The Quest for the Gatekeeper. I'm halfway through the first draft and excited by how far I've come, and daunted by how I'm going to fit it all into 60k words. 

The left side of my brain wants to say, "Stop, take a few days off. Figure this out." But the right side of my brain is saying, "Just write, girl ... you'll figure it out."

So that's what I do, every morning before the world awakes, I get jiggy with the keys and crank out a chapter or two. Of course, I'm fully aware that this first draft is going to be crap. The real writing of this story will come in the many revisions. I've got so much going on that I can't even keep up, myself. 

This is the first story I've built an entire world for. I have the detailed map hanging over my desk, and it definitely helps. This is the kind of stuff that gives me nerdgasms. My six year old son is fascinated that I actually drew and colored a map of a world I created. He doesn't realize yet the entire story I'm writing, is for him.

And heck! Maybe it'll even be finished by the time he's able to read!

You know, writing is a lot like dancing. Confused? What I mean, is that when you think about dancing too much, you lose the fluid movement and get too concerned with how you look, rather than feeling the music.

In writing, the same is possible. We worry too much about how it reads while we're writing a story, we get caught up in the technicalities and lose our rhythm. If we just write, get out that first draft, then we can focus on the craft later with revisions. 

So tell me, what are you getting jiggy with right now?

19 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Right now?? Sneaking a blog post comment at work! LOL!!!

I love first drafts too - and Mr Smith and his talented family!! take care
x

Angeline said...

I should be getting jiggy with a short story and a couple of plays, but I'm afraid all I'm getting jiggy with is the television and a cup of coffee! Bad girl!

salarsenッ said...

I'm so happy you're getting jiggy so easily. Great stuff. I'm completely rewriting my YA novel and working on a few picture books. I'm yet to touch my MG series.

Sophia Richardson said...

I'm working my way through the WIP. Yesterday was a first kiss scene and when I write kiss scenes just for fun I can bang one out easy peasy but this was hard (that's what she said). I wanted it to be sweet but hot and authentic for both characters and when I made myself laugh about something else halfway through I told myself to get back into the right head space. Imagining kisses-- it's a hard life being a writer!
- Sophia.

Hannah Kincade said...

I'm getting Jiggy with editing right now. That's about it. Sigh.

D U Okonkwo said...

LOL - That means it's going well!

Name: Luana Krause said...

Jiggy with my new play. I like your dancing analogy. Perfect!

fOIS In The City said...

I am a lover of first drafts flying off the keyboard. Makes me iggy-jiggy when they don't :)

M.J. Fifield said...

"Gettin' Jiggy With It" is one of my favorite songs. I'm not getting jiggy with much of anything at the moment but I have some serious plans to remedy that this afternoon.

Melissa J. Cunningham said...

This is a great post, and you're right. You can't think too much. I'm working on a middle grade fantasy too and just cut mine down from 85k to 68k. It's SO hard to do that and took a bit of creativity to make it work. Sigh. Well, we'll see if it works! LOL

Catherine Stine said...

Okay, reading this is a good motivation to get jiggy with my writing fingers. Heading into my studio!

Jennifer Jackson said...

My one side ALWAYS says take a break. If I think about the first draft for too long, I get stuck in everything that COULD be, instead of what my characters want. So, punch that side in the nose, pat your other side on the back and forge ahead! lol

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I should be getting jiggy with my critique partner's suggestions and doing some editing, but as you can see, that's not happening right now!

Michelle in a shell said...

I should be getting jiggy with my responsibilities...but I told myself today was a partial-rest day. Tomorrow I shall really get jiggy!

Lizzy said...

Lol ... cute! I'm getting jiggy with the final touches on a book I'm releasing this weekend, a fantasy romance entitled, "The Warlord's Secret." You're right about not getting lost in the details and just writing. I keep a hot sheet with me where I can list inconsistencies to go back and figure out later!
Lizzy Ford

Carla said...

I love that you've drawn maps! My little girl sometimes asks me to read her a story from the computer, and I get very excited.

Carla

Trisha said...

YAY for getting jiggy! :) I'm getting jiggy with my 4th draft contemporary romance right now. Word count is expanding, which is bad, but this is the fun part where I get to spice things up!

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Good luck and have fun.

I'm jiggy with revisions.

DM said...

First of all, PK, I love that word! Your alphabet is a fun thing. I get 'jiggy' with all the stories I've started and want to finish NOW. Great blog.