Sunday, April 24, 2011

Now Starring! And U is for ....

STEP RIGHT UP! GET YOUR TICKETS RIGHT HERE!

NOW SHOWING!


Lindz Pagel over at Rapturous Randomocity and Alexis at Kore Averna are having a fun blogfest where my story gets to be adapted to film and I get to decide on the cast.

I chose my most recent YA contemporary story called Starsong. Here's a brief blurb on what the story is, and below you'll find my choice of actors/actresses for the main characters. Check mine out, then hop over to blogfest HDQ by clicking on pic above and check out the others!

Starsong






Sixteen year old Wynonna Pinks is convinced super cute skater boy, Tanner Westin, is the guy for her. But after wrecking her new car and being forced to work a summer job, she gets stuck carpooling with the oddball neighbor kid, Sami Zaman. Wynonna not only finds she and Sami love the same rock band, she finds her body responding to him in a strange new way. It’s weird, all right, and full on electric. Sami is smart, talented and focused on pursuing music after graduation. He helps Wynonna find the brilliant voice she’s always hid from, but falling in love with Sami is nothing like she thought a first love would be. Wynonna’s Southern Baptist mom is freaked out by the fact Sami and his family are Muslim, and Sami’s parents do everything but come right out and say Wynonna’s a bad influence on their darling son. Sneaking around and lying to her parents become a regular routine for Wynonna, when all she really wants is to be free to get into “the zone” and jam with Sami. She will have to decide whether this intercultural love is worth fighting for or not. Maybe she was right about skater boy all along.


The Cast:


Wynonna Pinks  to be played by ....


EMMA WATSON


Here's why: For one, Emma has the look Wynonna should have, plus she's young and sassy, but has a really sweet and gullible side.Wynonna's character is someone who really strives for individuality. She wants her own look and sees herself as more complex than her mom and best friend, Carlin.




Sami Zaman to be played by ....


DEV PATEL


Sami is a cool, collected kind of guy--an Indian-American whose passion is a career in music. Dev could pull him off perfectly. Not only does he fit the look (with a little bit longer, shaggier hair) he's a fabulous actor and Sami's character deserves it. He has to be cool and unique enough to take Wynonna's attention away from super cute Tanner.




Tanner Westin to be played by ....








ZAC EFRON


Why? Zac has the skater boy look I want for Tanner. Plus he has to be super cool and laid back with eyes that just make girls melt. Wynonna's had a crush on Tanner forever. 


Wynonna's best friend Carlin to be played by ....


MEGAN FOX


Carlin is the best friend that makes you feel like no one's ever looking at you when you're next to her. But she's also superficial and kind of shallow. Megan just has that look.




Wynonna's mom, Mrs. Pinks, to be played by ....






GWYNETH PALTROW 




Okay so she may be a tad young to be mom to a teenage daughter, but Gwyneth is such a good actress, she could swing it with her eyes closed. Mrs. Pinks is a good looking, overbearing mom who lost her country singing voice to an illness, and she's got a chip on her shoulder since she never got to live out her dream. She wants Wynonna to live out the dream for her, always pushing her and not able to see Wynonna for who she is.




Hey thanks for checking out my cast. Thanks to Lindz and Alexis for such a good time!




And if you're stopping by for U day on the A-Z hop, my U word for today is

UNPUTDOWNABLE.




I've asked this question before, and I always like to ask periodically to see how answers have changes, or allow otther to answer who haven't before. So I ask you, what makes a story unputdownable in your opinion? 


For me, the voice is what has to make me feel comfortable to keep reading. But what really and truly keeps me reading, is cliffhangers. No joke. I need those unanswered, burning questions to make me want to read more.


What about you? 

37 comments:

Pk Hrezo said...

Sorry for all the huge spaces. Blogger was really acting funky and will not space right.

Thanks for your comments!! :)

Nas Dean said...

Hi PK,

I called my daughter and had her go through your post! She's in complete agreement with you on all male stars at least!

Cool post!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Wonderful thoroughly enjoyed this, the male stars are awesome,

Yvonne.

Old Kitty said...

I like the story! Yay for Wynonna and Sami!!! I can see these fab actors and actresses play your characters too - yay!!!

Bad blogger for squishing all your words together!!

Take care
x

salarsenッ said...

That is so cool!! I love the imagination you had to use. And Gwen as a mom!??? (Are we getting older?)

Gina said...

What a great cast! I adore Emma Watson, and a great romantic story :)

Jan Morrison said...

what a fun thing to do.
What makes a book unputadownable for me is if there are characters I care about and they are pushed and pressed so that their true nature shows - whatever it is. Plot is important but characters are first for me...
Jan Morrison

Hannah Kincade said...

Emma Watson is so adorable in that picture. Great choices.

Charity Bradford said...

What a fun cast! I love Emma's new look, and your story sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Ellie said...

Oh, wow. First of all your book sounds amazing - all those YA readers (and us adults) will want to read it. Secondly, the casting is spot on in my opinion, especially with Emma Watson and the males. Brilliant.

What makes a book unputadownable for me is believeable characters who I care about!

The Devil’s Song

Sophia Richardson said...

Miss Watson looks super classy in that picture: stolen for my writing inspiration folder! Digging the blurb.
- Sophia.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Many thanks for a lovely comment, I really do appreciate comments.
Yvonne.

Liz Fichera said...

I want to read this book. NOW! Get it published, girlfriend! And the cast sounds great too. Well done.

DM said...

Great blog again, PK! What fun blogs your friends have. What makes me continue to read is how deeply my emotions relate to the book, so I'd say voice has a major part in that.

Rachael Harrie said...

Sounds like a cool blogfest. Awesome casting, you've put so much thought into it, love your reasoning :)

And great A-Z post. Voice is a biggie for me in the "unputdownable" side of things.

Hugs,

Rach

Lucy Adams said...

I must identify in some way with the characters and their situations. And the writing must have lots of action verbs so that I feel like I'm getting somewhere, even when I'm just on page 2.

Lucy

Josh Hoyt said...

That is a great cast. The book sounds like a delight to read.

David Powers King said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Powers King said...

That's awesome. I select celebrities to fill the shoes of my characters too. Your book does pique my interest, as well. Looking forward to more.

I've passed an award to you. Come to my blog and claim it, if you'd like.

Margo Berendsen said...

Great story premise - baptist fundamentalists freaking out over a Muslim boyfriend - I love stuff like that, that jolts you out of preconceived notions. Also love that picture of Emma Watson - not her usual Harry Potter movie look!

Jennifer Jackson said...

I have never went through a story of mine and thought of the cast. Pretty cool.

The premise of your story is a good one! YA could use more books about human diversity. It is a question most adult books don't tackle unless they're nonfiction.

LTM said...

oh, yeah. Cliffhangers fer sure. :D And wow! That book sounds fantastic! I love the whole mixed race thing, and who hasn't had that kind of friend?

This looks like a great one. Best of luck, PK! :D

fOIS In The City said...

This is so fabulous! However, my brain has short-circuited ... I want to rip the rest of Zach's T-shirt ... his chest has sent electricity straight to my ... Ooops ... I forgot this is YA and no erotica ...

My old heart is beating, bleeping and excited about another BLOGFEST ... Great Post PK!!

Angela Scott said...

Great cast! You've got a movie hit with all them hunky guys.

Unputdownable--I would say the voice as well, but also hooks. Every chapter needs to end with a hook, make me keep going, unable to set it aside for even a minute.

N4M3L3SS said...

having emma watson means unputdownable, great cast

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Paltrow as the mom? When did she become old enough for that? I've been watching movies far too long!

Barbara Kloss said...

Hey, this story sounds great! I love the themes you're addressing. Also, I simply adore Emma Watson. What a fabulous MC :)

Unputdownable. I'm going to have to agree with you on the voice. If a character's "voice" grips me in, I'll follow them through anything and everything, until the bitter end!

Madeleine said...

I like your character choices. The typeface for your question seems to have squished up strangely making it hard to read. Unputdownable? A strong, believeable MC and other characters, fast paced plot with action, suspence and a good storyline. Oh yes and a good voice too :O)

Alexis said...

Wow! I'm totally into the idea of your story and I don't read a lot of contemporary YA, but I'm really just grooving on the idea. and I love Zac, he was cast in mine for a long time before I decided to age them all up ^.^ Thanks for taking part in my blogfest!

M Pax said...

What a fun thing to do!

Lindz Pagel said...

I love Dev Patel! He's not in near enough. Thank you so much for participating in the blogfest, I hope you had a ton of fun!

Laura said...

hello! I love your story outline - and I can just see that cast pulling it off to a tee... I had a little internal movie trailer going in my head! As for unputdownable -there has to be a bit of mystique - something I can't quite put into words, but I have to fall in love with the book. That said, on the flip side I have a slight weird OCD thing where I can't leave a book unfinished.

My most recent unputdownable experience was Alex J Cavanaugh's CassaStar.
Lx

Marie Rearden said...

Zac Efron! Those eyes would make ice melt twice. :) We can share him, I suppose.

Great cast!

Marie at the Cheetah

kmckendry said...

Love your casting especially the boys!

Lisa Potts said...

Your story sounds great and I would definitely see that movie (love Emma Watson)!

E.J. Wesley said...

I'd go watch this right now! What a cast! :0) Emma W. and Lady Paltrow are A++ in my book.

I agree with everyone else; when can we read this thing?

Hope you and your family had a great holiday weekend, PK!

EJ

Dawn Simon said...

Fun post! Your story sounds great! I like your casting, especially Emma Watson and Dev Patel! I cast my books for myself. It's fun AND it helps me really visualize my characters.

What keeps me reading? Character and voice.