Tuesday, April 19, 2011

P is for PITCH

And no, I'm not talking about baseball. :) I'm talking about that few minutes when you have an agent's attention and can pitch your story to them. Whether it be a query from the slush or a precious two minutes during a conference. It's those few isolated moments in time when we really have to shine.

I've never pitched in person, but I'm pretty familiar with the art of a query. Matter of fact, I may just give up writing stories and become a professional query writer. lol

Anyway, there's lots of resources out there for query critiques and advice. One of which I mentioned in yesterday's O post. But I found an awesome site where I just got to "try out" my brand new query for my WIP. It's called Pitch University and you can find it here.

Every month Pitch U offers an an opportunity to pitch to an agent and get real personal feedback. You can pitch via webcam or by query. Earlier this month I saw the op via Twitter (because I follow Pitch U) and kid lit agent Molly Jaffa from Folio Lit was giving feedback for YA / MG pitches. Well, I'm not even finished with the first draft of my MG WIP, but it doesn't matter. Cool thing about Pitch U is you can pitch WIPs. They also give you an op to ask questions to the agent in the comments. The agent has a few days to read through all the questions and pitches and responds to each one.

I whipped up a query real quick (literally within 15 minutes) and emailed it on the last day, sliding in to the session as one of the last contestants. Molly posted feedback for every query/pitch so we all got to see what worked and what didn't. It was fantastic. She actually gave mine a really good review and a suggestion that I hadn't thought of.

The cool part, is that if the agent during these feedback pitch sessions, sees something they're interested in and it's complete, they'll request pages. So what's not to like?

Ton of great info on Pitch U, so check it out and learn more about their next agent pitch session. Also, if you want to see my query or any of the others, visit the site and look for the session with Molly Jaffa. A really valuable learning curve! I'll have more on queries for Q day. I'm guessing it will be the theme of the day. ;)

Now, completely off subject, Magpie over at Magpie Writes awarded me the Versatile Blogger Award. Thanks so much! Magpie has a wonderful blog you should check out. I'm supposed to leave you with seven facts about me, then pass on the award. Since I'm really bad at picking out only a few bloggers, I'd like for anyone who's stopped by here today and commented to accept this award for your own blog. (I'm always afraid of leaving someone out)

And my quick 7 useless facts:

1. I've gone by the name PK since I was a baby
2. I use only all natural cleaning products
3. I learned to Scuba dive when I was 16
4. I slept with a light on in my bedroom til I was 12 (overactive imagination)
5. I sometimes write longhand in a spiral notebook and rewrite into word
6. My first story I wrote when I was 10 was about a girl who falls off a cruise ship and makes friends with a Great White shark who takes care of her so she can live in the ocean. (lol)
7. I could live on cheese, tomatoes, olive oil, and almonds



Thanks so much for stopping by today! Do you have any pitch stories or sites you'd like to share? Or maybe just tell me what you're up to these days ....  

19 comments:

Laura said...

I've not yet reached the pitching stage - but it is so interesting to read everybody's experiences and tip... I'll get there one day.Congrats on the award
Lxxx

M.J. Fifield said...

I too write longhand in a notebook and then type it up later. It's easier than schlepping my laptop to my day job.

By the way, your first story sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

Congrats on your award...

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I am hoping to get another poetry book published later this year after all the holidays are done and dusted,

Congrats on a most deserved award.
Yvonne.

Old Kitty said...

Yay for your pitching success!!! GOOD LUCK to all you fabulous writers doing this!!! Wow is all I can say!!!!!

Congratulations with you award too!!!! That story you wrote at 10 sounds adorable! Yay for you! Take care
x

LM Preston said...

Pitching in person can make you way nervous. I actually did a post on how to pitch since I did a verbal pitch the last 2 years at a local writer's conference. Pitch University is a great resource for verbal pitching also.

Huntress said...

Congrats on your award! I can see why you received it. Excellent Blog.
Thankx for the new website for pitches. A common misconception is the hard part is over after writing the book. But the real work is only beginning.
also, #5?? Yep...me too.

salarsenッ said...

Thanks for the pitch info and Pitch U. I didn't know that. :)

Lindsay said...

I've not done a pitch myself yet, but I know I'd be mega nervous. LOL. Thanks for the info though. Always good to know :)

Josh Hoyt said...

I pitched a while ago and the agent requested a full off of it. It was a little nerve wracking but a great experience. It almost seems like it is the best way to get someone to look at your stuff. Great post.

Angeline said...

I still sleep with a nightlight at the age of 30!

BTW My Photoshop maps post is up today.

Kittie Howard said...

Enjoyed your post, PK, and learning more about you. I hung garlic on my bedpost (for obvious reasons) when a kid. I drooled when I read your food group, had to get a chunk of cheese from the frig! Thanks for all the links. Will check them out.

Congrats on your award. Well-deserved!

Kathryn said...

Come over to my place for dinner and I'll make us a caprese salad. :)

Tiger85 said...

My mom had to pitch to an agent. I remember her story. I like your blog and I'm a new follower. =)

Poetry, Quotes and Book Reviews.

Jennifer Jackson said...

Very interesting first story, PK!

fOIS In The City said...

Well, at least you got all the essential food groups. Protein, vegie, dairy and fat. Good girl.

I slept witht the light on until I was in my early forties. Kept the TV on for longer than that. Drove my kids nuts.

You are indeed a versatile blogger and I am loving these posts and all the great referrals you are giving us. Thanks :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks for wonderful site PK. I will definitely go to Pitch U....

I loved #7.... Congrats on the award.

William Kendall said...

I haven't reached the pitch stage yet.

I love that #6!

LTM said...

wow. Best of luck with the pitching!!! That's a fantastic opportunity. And PK. We call my daughter Little Pittle, and sometimes just P. And sometimes Sweet P, depending on how she acts. Both also need nightlights. However neither can scuba dive.

So that's what? Two out of seven? LOL! Great stuff~ xoxo ((hugs))

N4M3L3SS said...

cool blog, blogger newb here following-and cool tips