Thursday, April 21, 2011

R is for ....

REALITY Every so often I get a good dose of it. I like my world better.

RHYTHM Once you find your rhythm, it's like all is right with the world. It's when the rhythm is broken that I get frustrated. Nothing worse than feeling the rhythm of your story and the words are flowing, fingers flying across the keys and a little face peeps in and yells, "Mom! He's not playing fair!"

RUDY Remember that movie? Early nineties. About a kid who's always wanted to play football for Notre Dame. He's small, and really doesn't have a chance, but he makes the team as a benchwarmer, until his final moment when he gets to score and win for the team! Such a great story to remind us never to give up. Our dreams may not be fulfilled as soon as we want, but that doesn't mean we throw in the towel.

ROOM I say this because of a quote I heard one time from an agent. "There is always room for awesome." I keep reminding myself of this since I stumbled upon a published story with a similar plotline as the one I'm writing now. At first I was bummed. Then I remembered, there are only so many plots anyway, right? It just means I have to make mine extra AWESOME. Eh, no sweat. ;)

READ And right now my TBR list is taller than my nightstand. And those are actual books, not counting whats on my Kindle. Sheesh! After I finish this WIP, I'm taking a few months off just to read.

REUNION In a few weeks I'll be taking the family to Europe to reunite with some old friends of mine. My kids have never been to Europe before and they're super excited. My dear sweet German friends I met in London over a decade ago have kept in touch and have children around mine's age. I'm so looking forward to it. Haven't seen them in ten years!

REVISIONS One of my favorite parts of writing fiction, is the first round of revisions after the first draft. Just finally seeing how it reads and ties together. It's a little bit of zen. I've learned that the more you can read in one sitting, the better feel you'll have for your story as a whole.

R & R I'm looking forward to a lot of it. And although this A to Z challenge has been a blast, I'm also looking forward to slowing down a bit. I've been writing my first draft this month and doing the A to Z challenge (in my free time.) So I'm ready to take it down a few notches and refresh my brain.

What about you? How've you been keeping up? Any good R words you want to share with me? Thanks so much for stopping by! I love your comments! :)

23 comments:

Kathryn said...

Europe! How exciting! Have fun! :)

My R word is Right Said Fred.

You're welcome for the Thursday Song of the Day. ;)

Ellie said...

Your renunion sounds wonderful! I like the revisions stage as well. You take out for first draft and make it into something far better.

Ellie Garratt

Sophia Richardson said...

Have fun reading and R&Ring and reunioning (now we're just making up words!). The end of the A-Z Blogfest is creeping into sight, you can do it!
- Sophia.

Old Kitty said...

What lovely R words!!!! Enjoy your R&R - it's the Easter hols afterall!!!!

Take care
x

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Love your R list, especially rhythm, rudy and room! Have fun reading, R&ring and reuninioning - nothing wrong with making up words :)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Some good R words here. Loved the read.

Have a good day,.
Yvonne,

Cally Jackson said...

My 'r' words at the moment are definitely reading and relaxation as I'm going camping for the next three days. Can't wait! :-)

Libby said...

Hopefully R&R will be your latest dose of reality.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like revisions as well!
And funny, when LOTR came out, all I could think of when looking at Sean Astin was "Rudy the Hobbit..."

Talei said...

Definitely looking forward to some R&R, especially after this wonderful challenge. It's challenging and rewarding but I feel some chillaxing in in order. ;-))

M.J. Fifield said...

I love Rudy. I have to admit to watching it every time it shows up on cable. I don't know if you ever watched the show "My Name Is Earl" but they did one episode that was a giant homage to that movie. It even guest starred the Rudy cast. Classic.

Enjoy your trip! Europe is fantastic. Or so I'm told...

Renae said...

Great R words! I could use some R&R myself right now!

DM said...

I love all the R's, especially Room. Read is another favorite. I loved rhythm too. Revisions is my least fav. Hmm. I wonder why.

D U Okonkwo said...

CDool choice of words! I'm all for rhythm and R&R

William Kendall said...

My r-word would have to be rappel.

Jennifer Jackson said...

You have to keep us posted on how your visit goes.

One of my LEAST favorite R-words is "rejection!" lol

N4M3L3SS said...

i like rudy too

Michael Di Gesu said...

Lots of good R's

What a fantastic reunion planned. Your kids are very lucky to go to Europe the first time so young ... What fun! HAVE AN AWESOME TIME!

fOIS In The City said...

Sure thing, PK. My fav R word is the beginning of my blog ... Ramblings ... and I do ramble a great deal ...

Roll in the grass, and set your heart reeling with delight, resolve to revolve and keep your rememberances real.

Right time to end this rant :)

kmckendry said...

Great R words. I cried in Rudy, my to read list is huge as well, and my rhythm has been broken many times by my kids and hubby! Have a great time in Europe. That sounds great!

I have had a great time on the A-Z Challenge, but wow I am finding it difficult to write something worthwhile everyday and still get anything else done. Yikes I'm glad you guys can't see my house!

Catherine Stine said...

Yay for reality today, because I just awarded you a versatile blog award! Come check it out at http://www.catherinestine.blogspot.com

Carla White said...

R&R sounds awesome! I could go for some of that with rum. ;) I remember the movie Rudy, we watched it in high school.

mely_kin@yahoo.co.id said...

NICE NEWS FRIEND,
visit to my BLOG too pls...
http://getmoneyfromonbuxwithoutreferral.blogspot.com
http://getmoneyfromonbuxwithoutreferral.blogspot.com