Thursday, April 28, 2011

X is for ...

X Dare and The Quest for the Gatekeeper


That's the title of my latest story. My MC's name is Xavier Dare, X for short. It's a MG fantasy. Here's a blurb:

Thirteen year old X Dare thinks he's played every video game out there, until one day, a mysterious tattooed man offers him a game he's never heard of. Unable to resist a challenge, X finds himself transported to another world--one without leaders and in turmoil, where he must find the lost keys to restore the world to peace, or else never find the Gatekeeper to get back home.

 I'll be knee deep in revisions over next few weeks. This first draft really took a lot out of me with all the world building, but I LOVED it!

So our A-Z challenge is winding down to a close. If you've stopped by here regularly, I really appreciate it. There are so many awesome blogs out there and so many new bloggy friends to make. It truly has been a challenge, but a fun one!

On a side note, Leigh over at That's Write is hosting a Laughter is the best medicine blogfest. This one should be easy and fun, just post your fave writer joke, or any joke, on May 16 and have fun reading all the other ones. Just click the pic below to get to Leigh's blog and sign up!



Also, some thank yous are in order!

David Powers King has passed on the Irresistibly Sweet Blog award to me. Thank you, David!



Catherine Stine and Tara Smith have passed on the Versatile Blogger award. Thank you, Catherine and Tara!



My seven useless facts about me:

1. If I were an animal, I'd be a tiger
2. If I were a color, I'd be aqua
3. If I were a food, I'd be an avocado
4. If I were a number, I'd be 8
5. If I were a word, I'd be ethereal
6. If I were a fictional character, I'd be Alice in Wonderland
7. If I were a car, I'd be a '65 Mustang convertible in baby blue

What about you? How would you answer those same 7 questions?

31 comments:

Elena Solodow said...

Good luck with your editing - I'm on a draft-break as well. It can be really hard to stay away!

Elizabeth McKenzie said...

Your story sounds like a winner. I'm not sure I could build those kinds of worlds. Good luck to you.

LTM said...

Yay! And thanks for the mention. I think X Dare sounds fantastic! Very cool~ :o)

Lisa Gail Green said...

Congrats on finishing your draft!! Especially blogging every day! WOW. That's a big deal. Enjoy revisions, I love your list, and I'll try to remember to peek at your joke!!

fOIS In The City said...

X-marks the spot for another well done post on this difficult challenge. Congrats on finishing your draft and for your award and for always referring us to great "stuff."

I'd be an eagle.
All blues, all the time.
Hey, I'm Italian so naturally, I'm a tomato.
I agree, eight is the best number 8.
If I were a word I'd be balderdash !!
If I were a fictional character I'd be Mame Dennis.
And, dear me ... If I were a car I'd be a Benz, sport, two seater, bright fire-engine red :):)

Pretending is such fun.

Norma Beishir said...

I wondered how all of you participating would deal with X.

I love your seven facts....

Old Kitty said...

Love the hook of your book!!! Yay, I rhymed!!!

Congrats on your fab award and for being an avocado if you were food!! Avocados are yummy! take care
x

Julie Musil said...

OMG I love that list! And what fun answers. And how cool that your mc's nickname is X. Your story sounds like a lot of fun. My sons would love a story like that.

Barbara Kloss said...

I love your MC's name!...it sounds like a fabulous story. Congrats on finishing that first draft and diving into revisions. :D

William Kendall said...

Intriguing premise, PK!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Good luck with the revisions, and also with keeping up with this marathon!

Kittie Howard said...

Congrats on the well-deserved awards! I'd already signed up for Leigh's fest...it should be fun!

I'd also be an avacado, the number 8, but would be THE Scarlett, and a '57 green Chevy.

Jennifer Jackson said...

I love the word "ethereal" for you! You strike me as a free spirit.

Good luck on revisions.

Jolene Perry said...

Your blog is super fun! SO glad I stopped by :D

kmckendry said...

Ohh I love the sound of your story, my son would love reading that. I think he lives in video game world!

Love the avocado!

N. R. Williams said...

Great character name plus you take advantage of the game craze that wraps so many teens up for hours. Congrats on the awards.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Congrats on the well deserved awards and aslo on the excellent X letter post.

Yvonne.

Alison Stevens said...

Congrats on the awards. I love the blurb about your WIP! Sounds very fun.

Libby said...

Good luck with revisions!

Susan Kane said...

Hmm. I don't know if I can come up with seven irrelevant facts, but if I were an animal I would be a hawk. A green hawk. A green hawk eating a rabbit. No, eating 7 rabbits. Way up in the stratosphere. A green hawk eating 7 rabbits in the stratosphere, while being with Sam in "My Side of the Mountain". There would be no car.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Congrats on the awards... I love the premise of you new WIP.

Josh Hoyt said...

That sounds like a fun story. Good luck on the revisions.

Josh Hoyt said...

If you need another set of eyes just let me know:)

Sara B. Larson said...

Wow, that sounds like an intense world to build, but it also sounds great! Good luck with the revisions. :) And those are some really interesting answers, thanks for sharing.

mgudlewski said...

X Dare sounds great. Happy revising!

erica and christy said...

Ooh, great X post!!! Wishing you the best of luck for your revision process!
erica

Jenny said...

Fun X post. Sounds like a great story. Best of luck!

L'Aussie said...

Your blurb is very tantalising as a good blurb should be. Happy revisions to you! Only 2 more A-Zs to go and back to our WIPs with a vengeance!

Denise<3

Carrie said...

Wow, this book sounds awesome! Good luck with the revisions!

N4M3L3SS said...

1. If I were an animal, id be a ostrich
2. If I were a color, I'd be dark blue
3. If I were a food, I'd be a cheesecake
4. If I were a number, I'd be 69
5. If I were a word, I'd be emasculation
6. If I were a fictional character, I'd be meatball
7. If I were a car, I'd be a ford gt

T C Mckee said...

Oh man, I love me some guacamole. Love the blurb for your new WIP. Sounds so cool. I bet it was a lot of fun to write. Where do you find all this time. Seriously, have you been cloned?