Friday, April 29, 2011

Y is for Yesterday

Yesterday, this was my view:

(that's my lil guy out there watching the waves on FLA's east coast)


Yesterday, I also went and saw this movie:


I have to say, I loved it. I thought the premise was unique and awesome. The acting was great, although I know not everyone agrees with that, but it worked for me. I'm usually really annoyed with bad acting. *cough Kevin Costner cough*

Ahem, pardon me, where was I? Oh yes .... the movie. Well, I loved the techno soundtrack during the chase scenes (performed by The Chemical Brothers.) The story itself was really intriguing, but it left me wanting more. There were unanswered questions that I'm guessing will be explained in a sequel? Not sure. As someone who studies storytelling, I know it's against the rules to leave questions unanswered in a first volume, since every story, even if part of a series, should stand alone on its own. However, I got the general idea, using my own imagination. But I want more of the story.

Here's a quick premise of the story from high school student Ian Scott in The Comet:

Hanna is, strangely enough, the story of a girl, named Hanna (Saoirse Ronan) who is being raised in the snowy forests of Finland by her father Erik (Eric Bana). Long ago, corrupt CIA agent Marissa Wiegler (Cate Blanchett) murdered Hanna’s mother, so now Erik, who is a former CIA agent himself, is raising Hanna in the forest as a hunter and assassin, learning only from encyclopedias and fairy tales. One day it will come down to her or Marissa ( I won’t explain it all here, of course).

When Hanna tells Erik she is “ready,” he retrieves a box that contains a switch that when flipped reveals their location to Wiegler. Hanna flips it, and the adventure begins.



(If you're in query phase, I think this blurb makes a great example of how a well done query should be written. It gives the main premise without giving away too much and makes you want to learn more.)


Anyway, that's what I did yesterday. How about you? What'd you do yesterday?

21 comments:

Summer Ross said...

I can't wait to go to a beach this summer- great photo. I haven't seen the movie yet but it sounds interesting. what did I do yesterday- homework. Have a great Friday!

mgudlewski said...

It's fun to watch a movie from the perspective of a storyteller. You never know what you'll learn.

Your beach picture - now that's a happy view.

Sophia Richardson said...

Sounds like a neat film!
- Sophia.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Hanna! I thought it was incredibly original and fresh.

Josh Hoyt said...

It is so fun to watch the sea. It makes me wonder at all the things I really don't know or understand.

William Kendall said...

I haven't seen the movie, but it sounds intriguing.

As to yesterday? I went through a windstorm, and came home to a power outage.

Susan Kane said...

Mgudlewski was correct, about seeing a movie through the eyes of a story teller. Too often the movie gets wrapped up in its techno effects. Now I have to see it.

Jan Morrison said...

I love that picture of your son!
Hanna sounds great AND I don't usually watch anything with too much suspence. Read it yes, watch it no. My grandaughter's name is Hannah. A palindrome.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Really wonderful to read, a real pleasure.

Yvonne.

Tracy said...

Glad you enjoyed Hanna, and personally I enjoyed your view from yesterday! There is nothing like the ocean and a child taking in the splendor!

Kittie Howard said...

A beautiful Y! That's a really nice photo of your little guy!! Thanks for the review. I like to read and watch suspenseful stories (but not gory violent) and Hanna's story appeals. I've heard the scenery is awesome. Have a great weekend!

Old Kitty said...

Awwww loved the pic of the beach and your baby!! Lovely!!!

Yesterday was Thursday and I baked a really nice batch of cinnamon swirls!!! Take care
x

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Hmmm...yesterday. I taught, made cookies with my son, and read The Iron Thorn. :-)

Brianna said...

Hi PK!
My name is Brianna. I found your blog via a comment you left on The Contemplative Cat. It was about the volleyball scene in Top Gun? I just had to let you know I share your enjoyment for that scene. To this day, I just stop and stare if I happen to catch a rerun.

Anyway, that's what got me here. I'm sorry to say that I didn't find you sooner in the challenge. I'm also a mom and aspiring author on the rocky path to publication :) It's good to meet you.

Your view yesterday beats mine hands down! Although it was a lovely day and I was surrounded with the sights of spring. So I can't complain.

N. R. Williams said...

I heard a seasoned writer once say that when they were young they could read a book or watch a movie and just enjoy it. Now they see all the flaws. I think I'm there. Unanswered questions would bug me too.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

fOIS In The City said...

You certainly had a better yesterday. I caught up on "chores" went swimming and goofed off for a couple of hours, did some finishing work on two scarves and started four more. Did a post for today, reviewed a villian I am becoming fascinated with for my ghost story and watched too much TV.

Your day sounded great ... the movie better ... ahem as you say ... tomorrow is another day ... or is that today ... since yesterday is now today :)

D. U. Okonkwo said...

Will have to look out for the film. Sounds very interesting indeed.

Holly Ruggiero said...

Ya, okay, I'm jealous of your yesterday.

Titan of 2012 said...

Best yesterday?

Carla White said...

Great shot of the beach - that would have been a lovely way to spend a Friday. Yesterday, I worked, but we broke up the dullness with a royal wedding tea party. It was delightful!

DM said...

Yesterday? I was fighting with my computer and blogger to be able to comment. Sigh. And there you are on a beach...