Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Abandoning the Armor

Uh, no not me, lol.... I'm talking about our characters. I read an awesome post from author Lena Coakley on character development and it was like BAM! whacked me in the head and said, "Hey, here's what you need to make sure you did!"

Read the full article on the link above, but here's the gist of what I needed:

1. What is the character's wound?
2. What is the hero's belief?
3. What is the hero's identity? (false self he shows the world)
4. What is the hero's essence? (what's left when identity's dropped)

The actual character development is the pull between the strong desire to remain in his identity, and the need to live in the essence. The hero can only reach his goal if he abandons his false self and embraces the true one.  ***** Abandoning the armor, and living in essence to face the climax of the story ************

I just love that. Wow. Again, check out the full article. You'll be glad you did.

Cliff Claven moment here: .... Ever wonder why dialogue is spelled dialog too? I even get spellcheck on it. But "dialogue" is the original English spelling. Once Americans started their own dictionary, they dropped the "ue," which is now why we recognize both spellings. :)

I'll be crossing the big pond tomorrow so my blog rounds will be minimal, but I'll be catching up next week. Oddly, I'm looking forward to the seven hour flight so I can get some revisions done. lol... you know you're a writer when, right??

Don't forget about Leigh T. Moore's blogfest on Monday. Still time to sign up.
Thanks for stopping by! I love it when you do.

Found any great links or posts lately? Please share....

32 comments:

Julia Smith said...

Thanks for the link to Lena Coakley - I really enjoyed the post.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Character development can be so hard to get right, but it's one of my favorite part of writing. Seeing how my character acts in situations and how he changes throughout the story. Love it.

I always wondered about the spelling of dialogue. Weird! LOL :)

Jolene Perry said...

Good stuff. I'm totally adding to my questions for characterizations :D

Michelle Merrill said...

Great post! I love that abandoning the armor phrase too. Thanks for sharing.

Lena Coakley said...

Thanks for linking to my post, PK! It was great to discover your blog!

Racquel Henry said...

Great post on character development! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I wanted to tell you I was so excited that you're from Tampa! I have been dying to connect with some writers here! I won't be going to the SCBWI workshop in Orlando because I'm not a member. The association is for writers who write YA and MG right? Are you a part of Florida Writers Association?

Pam Torres said...

Thanks for the links. Great ideas! Have fun on your jump across the pond!

Catherine Denton said...

WOW, that is good! I'll need to check out that article. Haha, that's certainly a "you know you're a writer when" moment. ;) Have a fun trip!
My Blog

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey that's cool! I think I actually did something right.

Jessica said...

Wow, the Lena Coakley link is great! I really needed some food-for-thought like this to let me embrace my characters true selves. Thank you and safe travels!

Rogue Mutt said...

But what if your character wears armor?

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Excellent post, most interesting to read.

Take care.
Yvonne.

Jules said...

Now I have my trivia fact for the day I can sleep good tonight. :)
Happy travels and I hope you have a grand time.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Old Kitty said...

Yay for vulnerability!!!! :-) Thanks for the link and the helpful tips!!

Enjoy your flight!! Take care and have a fab time!! x

Lindsay said...

Great post. Hugs for the tips. :)

mgudlewski said...

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out. I like the way you summed it all up! Have a good trip.

Michelle said...

Great tips - thanks for the link

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Thanks for the great link. :D

Oddyoddyo13 said...

I just felt the light bulb go off! Thanks for sharing this!

Vicki Tremper said...

That sounds really cool. I may have to try that. Isn't it amazing how much time we spend getting to know these fictional characters in our heads?

Leslie Rose said...

What a totally cool way of looking at character. I'm hopping right over to the link now. Listening to Joseph Campbell's POWER OF MYTH, and this is a great compliment to his take on things.

Anne R. Allen said...

Wow. Light bulb moment, as Oddyoddyo says. What a simple, marvelous key to writing fiction. This is perfect. Thanks!

Trisha said...

'Dialog' doesn't sound right to me, but then I AM Australian ;)

Donna Hole said...

I like that way of thinking about my characters goals. Very interesting.

Good luck getting some work done on the flight. have safe trip :)

......dhole

Katie Dodge said...

Loved the post! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your awesome comment too! :)

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Ooh, good link, thanks for posting it! This is interesting and so very true!

Dorothy Evans said...

Great post - will mke sure I consider these in future when I'm working out my characters' Goals and Motivation.

Old Kitty said...

Darn Blogger!! I left a comment here already and it's been taken away by Blogger! LOL!!

Awww I think I remember saying "yay for vulnerability"!!! :-)

Take care
x

Wanton Redhead Writing said...

News worthy posts. Just wish I could get down to my essence, but then again, maybe it would smell and I just couldn't live with that. Oh dear, what to do?

Thanks for finding my blog and introducing yourself!

LTM said...

VERY cool post. I love exercises like this because they really solidify who your characters are in your head, you know? That way they can act out, and it really is like they're alive... :D <3

Leslie Rose said...

These are great layer to add to the character cake. Thanks for the link.

Angela Ackerman said...

I absolutely love this.

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse