Thursday, May 26, 2011

The O Effect

So do you like my new blog design? It was time for a change. Anyway, the O effect.

I'm talking about the uber inspiring Ms. Oprah Winfrey. Did y'all see her last show? Not the surprise spectacular, but her last show dedicated to the viewers. If not, I highly recommend finding it and watching it. Oprah takes the time to let her audience know what she's learned throughout her amazing life journey.

I know, some of you are thinking, so what? She's just a lady. But not really. She's a lady that pursued her dream and did the best she could at it, and in the process became one of the most powerful and influential people in the world. That's pretty darn remarkable.

And for her to take the time to pass that knowledge and wisdom on to the peeps of the world, is so indicative of the type of person she is. I was moved by her words to us yesterday. Some of which were...

"Nobody is responsible for your life but you."

"Find the spark that lights your world."

"Everyone wants to be heard."

"Everyone needs validation."

"You are responsible for the energy you bring into this room." (requoted from Dr. Jill)

Those are just a few that stuck out, but the whole show was awesome. Her message was one of love and grace and encouragement, to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Why do I care what Oprah says? Because she has had the honor and privilege of interacting with peeps from all over the world--from powerful to poverty stricken, from brilliantly minded to barely able to get out of bed.

She has dedicated her life to the people of the world, and gained a wealth of wisdom from each and every one of them, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant. I respect and admire her for that. But what's more, is she encourages peeps to find their passion. Doesn't have to be about fame or money, but about what makes you feel that deep sense of purpose down to your toes.

This is her message to us.

Watching her last show yesterday, I felt the effect she was going for. She inspired and motivated me. She encouraged and challenged me to be a better person, and take charge of my own life. We all have our skeletons and adversity, but it doesn't matter. We are still in charge of our own life. No one holds us back but ourselves.

So in feeling the power of the O effect, I pass the same encouragement and challenge on to you. Listen to those who need you. Find a way to help others. Find what you're passionate about and latch onto it. We all deserve to be in control of our own lives.

And what impressed me most of all about Ms. O's final words to us, is that she takes very little credit for outstanding accomplishments. She gives the credit and glory to God. I know everyone has their own opinions on faith and whatnot. But I say, Bravo, O!


 What if everyone did start following these suggestions? Do you think it'd make a difference? Do you think the world would be a better place? And did you watch the last O show? What did you think?

34 comments:

Melissa Bradley said...

Great post! I did not get a chance to see her last show, but hope to fins it somewhere and watch it very soon. She certainly passed on some truisms that we should take to heart. Being passionate about something and having goals is very important because otherwise you're just drifting along.

I love, love the new look. It's colorful and has positive energy.

Sarah said...

Lovely post, and yes, I like the layout! It's pretty amazing how thoroughly Oprah impacted popular culture--and for how long. When you said "the O effect", she was the first person I thought of! It's nice to have someone that prominent who's in the public eye for her positive message instead of something lurid.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like the new layout.
And she did what we're all supposed to do - make the world a better place for others.

Old Kitty said...

Loved you new blog look!!! Unfortunately telly in the UK freeview channels don't show Oprah's show here - not anymore - so I rely on the news to tell me all about her last show!

Let's hear it for the O effect!! Take care
x

Michael Di Gesu said...

Bright, cheerful, and inspiring.... You new look is fantastic.

No, I missed the last O show.... I am glad that you got so much out of it. I have never been a big fan of her, but now after you glowing tribute, I must admit your passion won me over.

If she is all of those things then I am impressed. And yes, we should all try to make the world a better place. If we all did our parts to be positive and help others, there is now question the world would benefit.

Thanks for opening the way for us PK...

Richard said...

I don't think I ever saw your older version, but this one is nice. I like the white background.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Oh, on a fun HP note, I have an article about Dolores Jane Umbridge featured on Laruel's leaves. If you get the chance hop over to my blog and you can connect there.... It's really fun.

Karen Walker said...

I love the new look of the blog, Pk. And yes, I sat, with millions of others and watched Oprah say farewell in a very Oprah way. I love her. Always have. I love her because she is all about being authentic, finding our passion, and sharing our light with the world. She has been a force for good in the world and has helped thousands if not millions of people. Thanks for honoring her with this wonderful post.
Karen

GigglesandGuns said...

Happy look -- I like that!
Didn't see O, only clips. She's done a lot of good and I'm sure she's not done yet.

Jennee said...

I never watched Oprah but I know many people are inspired by her. Good for her for finding and learning that her strength is encouragement and passing it on to others.

Barbara Kloss said...

Great post! I've never watched Oprah (please don't slap me!), but after reading this post I wish I did. I like that she encouraged everyone to take charge of his/her own life. Too many people blame others for things, and really, we only get one life. We shouldn't waste it wallowing in pity and/or our own self-doubt.

Thanks for sharing. Good to be reminded of these things, and I like the new layout :D

Shannon said...

I never watched Oprah either, but what you wrote inspired me.

"Everyone needs validation." - yes! Thank you for your validation on my writing. I appreciate your honesty and I feel encouraged by your feedback. I look forward to exploring the formums you mentioned to (hopefully) find some CPs.

Tracy said...

Love the post and I actually taped the show and plan on watching it this afternoon when we get back from the pool! I admire Oprah for the changes she has made in this world; in action and in thinking!
I was just on another site and with Oprah and American Idol, it gave me an idea for a post that occured to me.
thanks again for the uplifting blog!

William Kendall said...

I like the new layout of the blog!

Sophia Richardson said...

Dig the new blog layout and I've been hearing lots of great Oprah quotes round the blogosphere, makes me think I'm missing out considering I've only seen her interview with JK Rowling!
- Sophia.

Mary said...

Let's see if I can leave a comment today. Blogger is driving me crazy.

Love the new layout. Oprah has always been inspiring.

Rogue Mutt said...

It's funny how the people who tell you to follow your passion and so forth are people who have found their passion and become stinking rich from it. Like I Tweeted the other day, the Beatles said all you need is love but by then they had millions of dollars!

So please, not another billionaire telling me I don't need a billion dollars to be happy. If that were true, how about switching places with me, O? Oh, right, that would suck.

Jules said...

I love the rainbow, of course! Ms.O I did watch and it was moving. I have respected for years for the exact reasons she tried to convey. As to a better a place... look at what few people she has inspired have done.

Great post PK
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jennifer Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Jackson said...

It is always important to remember that every person makes a difference and has talent. It is even more important to remember that, even on your worst days, this means YOU too!

I love the new design. I haven't changed mine since I started blogging.

Monica B.W. said...

Yeah I like it!
And I didn't see her show bc it doesn't air here, but I wish I could have! Thx for letting me know what it was about though! :D

McKenzie McCann said...

I have a feeling that I will be stoned to death for saying this, but I find Oprah so overrated.

Carla White said...

Love the new background! I didn't see the last O show and never really watched it all along but I can appreciate her words of wisdom (though I disagree that she doesn't take credit, I find her to be very self-involved).

Leslie Rose said...

I literally just finished watching her final show on DVR. Wow! I've watched Oprah since the beginning. It always seemed that whatever was going on in my life ended up as a topic. Synergy. I do think she has an important empowering message.

Trisha said...

Pretty blog design! :D

I haven't watched Oprah in YEARS, but I often enjoyed it when I did see it. and she has been through some serious wardrobe adventures ;)

Jennifer Hillier said...

Agreed. Her last show was awesome. I usually watch Oprah while doing other things, but this time I just sat and watched and listened. She said a lot of things that resonated with me and I'm seeing a lot of posts about it today (including mine). She's really made a difference to a lot of people... so inspiring.

Matt Sinclair said...

Nice clean look to the blog. As for Oprah's words, they're great. I was never a viewer of her show, but I respect that she has inspired millions and has helped resurrect some of the great books and drawn attention to others. I hope she continues to inspire readers and non-readers alike.

Dorothy Evans said...

Love the new look! Can't say I ever really understood the draw of Oprah Winfrey, though - but I do recognise she was hailed as the best at what she did, so perhaps it's more accurate to say I just don't get the format?

Talei said...

Awesome lady, and inspiring is our Lady O. I do love her. And she's a great role model for us. And - your new look is fab!

Have a lovely weekend! ; )

Margo Kelly said...

Think of all the wonderful things we could do !! :) Great post.

KarenG said...

I didn't see the last show. But now my hopes of Oprah calling to have me on her show are dashed forever. Dang it.

Regina said...

Yes, the new layout takes me to a happy place. Beautiful.

Brianna said...

The layout is great! Thanks for sharing Oprah's great life tips!

LTM said...

so I'm not a big Oprah Winfrey fan, right? I mean, I don't dislike her, but I'm skeptical of anyone who the masses follow w/o question. But I did record her last show and watched it the other day. I was blah blah blah until that bit about "everyone wants to be hears" and "everyone needs validation." Did you think of your kids??? I totally did. And then I realized it was a big part of the problem I've been having w/my mom lately...

but our parents ultimately become our kids, right? So Oprah wins. I learned something. And I think I'm better for it.

thank tha lawd~ :D <3