Wednesday, May 18, 2011

There and Back Again ...

By PK Hrezo


Well, my adventure wasn't quite as exciting as Bilbo's, but I'll share a bit with you anyway. First off, I'm catching up with blog visits, so bear with me. I was wondering if there really is any way to fully catch up, and I believe the answer is no. But hey, that's life, right? Right.

Ten years ago when I first visited Europe and had the pleasure of gallivanting around London, I met some Germans staying in my hostel, who were also on holiday. We hung out and got to know each other, exchanging addresses and keeping in touch via longhand through the years.

I visited them in Germany a few times and they visited me in the States once or twice ... all of this before marriage and children. As you truly start to embrace adulthood and develop families, you tend to neglect friends, to no fault of your own, but because of family demands. I hadn't seen my German girlfriends in eight years or so .... til just this past weekend.

They have kids, I have kids, and to my delighted surprise, all the kids got along smashingly. Their kids speak only German, mine only English, but it didn't matter. They were thick as thieves.

My friends live in a little village in south Germany called Siefersheim, amidst rolling green hills and vast vineyards. It was quiet and picturesque, with cool breezes and warm sunshine. A little rain here and there, but no worries. It is Germany, after all.

My friend's hubby is originally from Romania and built their house entirely out of wood he cut and hauled from Romania. Impressive? Uh, yeah. Totally. Here's a pic:

My hubby learned how to hunt and slayed three deer in three days. LOL! I kid you not. Now, I'm no advocate for wasteful hunting, and this was anything but. The skilled hunter we stayed with hunts only for what he needs--cleans, cuts, and stores meat for meals. It's really rather remarkable.

Anyway, we enjoyed the great outdoors, yummy homemade sausage, jerky, and schnapps, and most of all, great friends! Seeing them again was a reminder of how geography can never truly separate kindred spirits.

Here I am with my dear sweet girlfriends and our daughters:


Peaceful day at the river:


And just because I'm so proud of my little world travelers:


They did so great on their first trip to Europe. They just meshed right in. *sniff sniff*

But you know, I got absolutely no revisions done on my WIP. I lugged my laptop around determined to get a lot done, but the revision gods were not smiling upon me. I did, however, finally read The Hunger Games. So. Darn. Good. Wow! Suzanne Collins is a genius. And while the writing was not perfect, the story was so good it didn't even matter. I flew through it. Truly unputdownable.

So thanks for stopping by and sharing my little adventure with me. If you're new to my blog, thanks for following and I'll be catching up with you over the next few days.

So tell me, what's new with you??

39 comments:

Laura said...

It sounds like you had the perfect time! Brilliant that your little uns enjoyed themselves too - thanks for the pics :)

Inspiring to see that like you said - kindred spirits are never really permanently separated!
Lx

Nas Dean said...

Oh my, lovely, lovely photos! What wondrful little world travellers responsible for their own luggages! Thanks for sharing!

E.J. Wesley said...

What a trip! Totally living through your photos at the moment ... The house is amazing and the story of how it came to be even more so.

I've been writing and drinking lots of coffee. LOTS of coffee. No trip to Europe, but fun nonetheless! :-)

Monica B.W. said...

Oh I'm happy that you had such a great time ;D
Lovely pics, btw!
And me! I just finished some revisions, so I'm happy! :D

Anne R. Allen said...

What a fantastic time! I know you felt you should take your work--we all do that. But there are times when the muse needs to simply relax and be fed. And yours has been given a feast! How lucky you are. And so are your little ones.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Amazing trip! I'd love to do something like this someday. Thanks for sharing.

S said...

What a wonderful adventure for the whole family. It must've been nice to catch up with your old friends. And look like an amazing place to do so. Welcome home.

Old Kitty said...

Aww lovely that you and your friends and all your families met up and got along and were just wonderful!! Yay for long lasting friendships!!!

Your children are adorable!!! Take care
x

Kathryn said...

Welcome back! What great pictures and a neat story! Friendship for the win! :D

Kathryn said...

PS. The Hunger Games TOTALLY rocks! Enjoy the next two! :)

William Kendall said...

Great pictures! Looks like you had a fun time!

In your absense, we sacrificed a missionary to Zulal.

Karen Walker said...

HOw wonderful that you made such good friends so long ago, remained friends all these years, and find ways to see each other. And now your children get to share in that experience. Thanks, Pz for sharing this. It's inspiring. Haven't heard of The Hunger Games, but now I"ll totally check it out.
Karen

Sarah said...

Sounds like a trip that produced some amazing memories! And whoa. That's a lot of venison.

ali said...

Wow, Pk, that's amazing! I so admire you for getting out and exploring the world and letting your kids take part. What a gift to them!

Jennifer Jackson said...

Great photos! It sounds like a blast.

McKenzie McCann said...

I would love to go to Germany, although I'd probably go to Berlin or Hamburg or some other tourist-trap city.

Barbara Kloss said...

I've been waiting to "hear" something about your trip. SO glad you had such a wonderful time! I can't get over that house built of wood imported from Romania. Wow.

And how cool for your kids to meet other kids their age, in another country, that speak another language. At their age, I don't think that would've mattered to me either. I would've been enthralled by the sound! Lucky kids :) I particularly enjoyed your photo of them and their suitcases. Precious.

Glad you had a wonderful trip AND glad you're home safely :)

Barbara Kloss said...

OH PS I gave you an award while you were away :)

Lisa Potts said...

I ENVY you. I've never been outside the states but I'm determined to travel overseas someday. Sounds like you had a great trip. It's so nice to reconnect with old friends. Don't be too hard on yourself about the revisions. Everyone deserves a break now and then. Welcome home!

LTM said...

that is SO cool--love that house. And wow! geaux hubs, the deer hunter! :D

It looks like you had a great time, and guess what? That work's just still there waiting for you! :D You'll get caught up. Glad you had fun! <3

welcome to my world of poetry said...

What fun you must have had, loved the post and picture.s Thanks for sharing.

Yvonne.

Sophia Richardson said...

That's awesome that you guys kept in touch over the years. Also very cool that your friend's husband built a house. Looks like you guys had a great time!
- Sophia.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

My husband's family is from Germany. I've been there twice and love it. However everytime we go, I seem to be pregnant. So I'm dying to go back and finally visit wine region. :D

That's great you've stayed friends for so long. I accidentally lost contact with my good friend from Finland. :(

Laurel Garver said...

I'm impressed that you did this long trip with such little ones. We're waiting until my daughter's closer to 10 to attempt such a trip. But then, I'm a big coward. And my kid isn't the happiest traveler even going to aunts' and uncles' homes a few hours away.

Taking time away from writing can be a good thing, especially if you're having cool, new experiences. You'll return reneregized with your creativity well fed.

DM said...

friends are the joy of life, and sometimes inspire further writing. what a wonderful trip.

Vicki Tremper said...

What a cool trip! I can't wait to bring my kids to France to see my family there. We haven't been since my oldest was 1.

And could your kids be any more adorable?!

Have fun revising when those Gods start smiling upon your globe-trotting head!

fOIS In The City said...

PK, for some reason I always get your posts a day late in my email. If I don't check myself, this is the results. I am a day short on this fabulous jaunt of yours. Sounds like a great vacation.

Like here in cyber space, you are a jovial and outgoing person and make friends easily. I can see you might have a few scattered throughout the globe.

Thank you so much for sharing such great pics and the memories that are attached to them :)

Margo Benson said...

Sometimes the revision gods insist on a holiday ;-) Everyone looks so relaxed and happy on your trip. Your wee ones look adorable with their suitcases!

Helen Ginger said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip - loved the pictures. I think it's wonderful that you've had such great long-distance friends for so many years.

Rachel Pudelek said...

What a blast! I loved the pics too! I lived in Germany for three years and the pics took me back. :) So beautiful! Did you take leisurely walks after dinner too?

Dorothy Evans said...

Sounds like the catching up was worth a little break from the editor!

Makes me wonder where I put my old address book.

Michael Di Gesu said...

It is so wonderful when you can reconnect with old friends. It is great that you all kept in touch all these years.

I'm glad you had a terrific time. I wish I could return to Europe. It's been a few decades since I was there.

Leslie Rose said...

All you're missing is a dragon. Other than that, I think you had a middle earth-esque adventure. How great you've kept up the friendship.

Tanya Reimer said...

Oh wow! Sounds so great! Good for you guys.

Nathalie Schiltz said...

Cool! Sounds like you had a great holiday :D I think you're right, when you make good friends, it doesn't matter how far apart you are and how it's been since you last saw each other. When you do, it always feels like no time has passed!

Carolyn Abiad said...

Now there's a poster child for authenticity! Builds his own house, shoots his own deer...amazing!

Looks like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing! :)

catherinemjohnson said...

Hi there, your holiday looks awesome. I've never been to Germany even though I am British. I am very curious as to whether my almost three year old will handle the flight and the airport going to UK in July. She is quite animated shall we say! I haven't read the Hunger Games yet, I might just pick that up next, thanks!
Catherine

kmckendry said...

Great pics! Glad you had a good time. Sometimes it's ok to not get anything done!

Regina said...

Great pictures. I'm glad that the kids had a good time. So not that you have read Hunger Games, are you looking forward to the movie? I am curious how it will turn out compared to the book. I loved that series. One of my favorites.