Friday, June 24, 2011

Have You Seen My MC?

So the MC blogfest is going on today, hosted by the charming Elizabeth Mueller. Do you follow Elizabeth's blog? She is one of the nicest bloggers out there.


It's funny how writers put so much life into their characters. I mean, if you really think about the details that go into them, it's like we really HAVE created real people. And when it works, readers and fans believe they're real too. That, in itself, is a phenomena.

The idea here is to answer three questions about my MC, and since I just wrote a MG sci-fi /fantasy I'm using my MC from it. Here's a brief blurb about the story:

X DARE & THE KEYS TO NIN is the middle grade adventure story of Xavier Dare. He thinks he's played all the greatest video games, til one day a mysterious tattooed man gives him a game he' s never heard of. Unable to resist a challenge, X accepts and finds himself transported to another world--one without leaders and on the brink of turmoil. X must find the lost keys to find the Gatekeeper, or he may never get back home again.


Question 1: What is X's greatest fear?
During the story, his greatest fear is he won't get back home to let his family know how much he really loves them. Not so unique, except that before he ended up in another galaxy, he was pretty ungrateful.


Question 2: What's X's greatest accomplishment?
He once solved and completed a video game in a single day.


Question 3: What is X's biggest regret?
Being angry at his disabled younger sister. It's no secret X is tired of being her caregiver while both his parents work, but it's not his sister's fault. He'll realize this later.


So that's a tiny glimpse into my character Xavier Dare. I'm currently letting the story marinate after some awesome and amazing feedback from betas / CPs. Hopefully, in the next few weeks here I'll be diving in with more revisions and rewrites. Thank God for good betas!!


For more entries in the MC blogfest, click on the pic above to be whisked away to HDQ at Elizabeth Mueller's. 


Hey! There's still time to win an ARC of Creep, Jennifer Hillier's debut novel. Just click on the link here. Get a comment in by today for a chance to win.    


Things are pretty crazy for me right now. We are packing up our house to sell, so that's a HUGE chore, but also so nice to get rid of clutter. And I've got my first regional SCBWI writer's workshop this weekend. Super excited to check it out. I'll be posting info on that next week. 
Needless to say, my blog hopping has been minimal, and I regret missing out on so many great posts these last few days. Thank you so much for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments!


Tell me, can you answer these questions about your MC? Or how do you think knowing these types of answers affects your writing of the story? Do you like knowing before the first draft? Or after? If you're not writing anything, what do you have going on this weekend?  

34 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Yay for Xavier!! What an adventure he has in store for him. Let's hope he finds his way back home!! Take care
x

Sarah said...

I'm just starting a wip, so I don't know these answers--yet! Give me a few days ... enjoy your workshop!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Loved the read, as I only write poems about my life's expereiences I don't create a person, but I do wish I had the talent to write a book.
Yvonne.

Matthew MacNish said...

Hah! That second one is hilarious. But the cool thing is that even though it's funny, it also really defines a character.

Well done, PK!

Richard said...

Sounds like an interesting character who finally grows up.

salarsenッ said...

X sounds like such a sweet MG character. :) I love the video game element.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I participated! And his answer to the second question is every young boy's goal.

Sophia Richardson said...

I like to know the answers to the strengths and weaknesses, fears and goals, regreats and dreams etc. line of question before I start a draft. Probably because I'm character-driven and my light on plot stories would never get off the ground if I didn't know my characters. X sounds nicely conflicted with his past resentment of his disabled sister and his current fear he won't get back to his family.

Kris Yankee said...

My interview is up at my blog - turned out longer than I expected, but my MG MC character talks A LOT!

Love your story concept and the issues X has. Good luck!

http://adventuresthatscore.blogspot.com

Lori M. Lee said...

I love hearing you talk about X! I miss him and Nin :D

William Kendall said...

Sounds like a great story concept, PK. I've found that I've created characters who feel so real that I feel compelled to apologize to some of them for the sheer amount of damage I've done to their lives.

Liz Fichera said...

I love your MC's name! From your answers, it sounds like there's real depth to him.

Jennifer Jackson said...

Interesting concept. Siblings of disabled people often feel overlooked but not many people explore that in writing.

Meagan Spooner said...

I love the video game-as-magical gateway premise! The door-in-the-wall fantasies were always my favorite kind of stories as a kid, and what a clever way to modernize it.

Kathryn said...

You're moving? Oh wow - I hope the move goes well and is as stress-free as possible! You know, you were the first person who told me those questions about MCs, and that's really what helped me hopefully create stronger characters. Thank you for that!

Raquel Byrnes said...

Nothing like ending up in another galaxy to put things into perspective. :)
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Jen said...

That's a huge accomplishment for a kid to complete a video game in a day!! I have to admit, I usually interview my characters after I write the first draft.

The Golden Eagle said...

Interesting answers--they all say a lot about Xavier, and the second certainly explains why he'd accept a challenge!

I don't often interview my characters. I did for one of them, but it's not something I try regularly.

RosieC said...

I thought answering these questions was really helpful for me, and I'm glad I stumbled upon this blogfest.

Your story sounds fun, and your MC, too.

Good luck with the moving!

Rosie
East for Green Eyes

Elizabeth Mueller said...

X sounds like he's got a lot on his mind, poor guy. I wonder what helps him to realize his mistakes?
I wish you the best on your packing and moving! I love how you included the blurb to your book. Why didn't I think of that? *Sigh* Maybe I will update my post? Muahahah!

Thanks for participating!

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

Christine Tyler said...

#3 adds an interesting dimension to this story!

Shannon Lawrence said...

The idea behind your novel is an intriguing one. He sounds like a wonderful character, full of conflict, and very realistic.

alexia said...

Sounds like a really cool character and story!

Susan Oloier said...

This sounds terrific! I am already captivated by your MC. I have a son with a disability, so that portion of your story draws me in, as well.
Are you going to be joining Shelley Watters' contest this weekend, too?

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, P.K.

I love the premise of this book. An Xavier/X is a great name.

Sounds like X does a lot of growing up in this story.

Good luck on the packing... Moving isn't fun. Are you staying in the area?Or, are you moving to another city?

erica and christy said...

I'm glad you're done with it! I'm sure it's a book my 10-year-old will love when it comes out. :)

We built a house seven years ago and the best part of it was that I have a good chance at never having to move again - yay!!
erica

fOIS In The City said...

Love the idea for this book and the MC sounds like an interesting kid.

They say moving is worse than having a death in the family. I am an incurable nester and hate to get uprooted.

Good luck with the book ... it sounds intriguing ... and much luck and patience with the move ... don't let that last carton weigh you down L(

ali said...

Fun! I love your guy's name!

And selling your house? Ugh. Biggest headache ever. But yeah, it is so refreshing to unload extra stuff!

Pk Hrezo said...

Thanks, guys! Love your comments!

@Susan, yes! I'm planning to participate in Shelley's contest.

Leslie Rose said...

Xavier's story sounds like THE LAST STARFIGHTER meets TRON with the interesting struggle of a family challenge. What a great action packed and emotional ride. Best wishes for your MS.

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I love that the answers were short and sweet!
Nice entry X ;)

kmckendry said...

X sounds like an interesting kid.
Good luck on the move they can be hectic!

Beth said...

Hey, I saw your interview on someone else's blog last week, but I feel like i haven't been here in forever. Sorry, I've been pretty bad about commenting lately. Great character interview and good luck on revisions.
bethfred.com

Nas Dean said...

Great character interview and your X sounds interesting.

All the best with your revisions!