Monday, June 27, 2011

My Epic Mom Fail

Happy Monday! Can you believe it's almost July??? I just can't keep up ... chug chug chug ...



So I went to my first writer's conference this past weekend. I'll be posting more on that through the week. And if you don't know already, there's still time to post the first 250 words of  your YA / MG story on Shelley Watter's blog for an agent contest. 

And congrats to Liz P. who won a copy of Creep from Jennifer Hillier! Thanks to everyone who commented that day. Winner was selected by Random.org.

I had to share with you what happened the other night, when I hung my picture in the mommy hall of shame. My sweet little six year old managed to yank out his loose tooth (third one ever) and was so excited he did it by himself, and of course, for the tooth fairy to come. I have a little pillow with a pocket in it for such occasions--one I used when I was a little girl. My son tucked away his tiny tooth and even went to bed early that night--so anxious for his prize.

So, being the tired mom that I am, I fell asleep early that night, with a passing thought that when I woke early, I needed to slip some money in the pillow and snag the tooth. Since I always wake up before my kids, it was a perfect plan. Except, when I woke up, I forgot! I made coffee, sat at the computer, did some beta reading. All the while my sweet little baby sleeping and dreaming of what lie in store when he woke up.

Next thing I know, he peeks out at me from the glass door to see what I'm doing in my office. As soon as I see his cute, hopeful little face, it hit me: I FORGOT HIS TOOTH!!! *facepalm*

My heart sunk. I knew there was no way I could pull it off without blowing my cover and ruining his childhood fantasies of a chipper little fairy dashing in and out of houses with money. Well, of course I still had to try. I hoped somehow he hadn't noticed his tooth was still in the pocket of the pillow. He'd even left it at the very edge of the pocket so the tooth fairy didn't get stuck trying to get inside. (is that the cutest or what?) So, feeling like the worst mom ever, I scrambled for some way to pull it off. I sat with him and talked, waiting for him to ask why the tooth fairy hadn't come, and finally he mentioned how it was still dark out.

Aha! My chance at redemption! I made him lie down and try to go back to sleep while I pondered a way to slip some bills into the pocket and grab the tooth. It was right next to him, and never once did I see him close his eyes again. He was sad. I could hear him sniffling, trying to be brave while he staved off epic disappointment. Oh the torture I felt! 

After finding I had no bills in my wallet or anywhere else, an idea popped in my head. I scrounged for loose change from our toll fund in the car and sealed it in an envelope with a little note from the tooth fairy herself. I snuck outside and left it at the front door, then went back and acted cool while my son was still sniffling. It was light out by then, and obvious that the tooth fairy didn't make it to our house. :( 

I said, "Let's talk. Seems like the the tooth fairy didn't get here in time. But, yanno, that happens sometimes on busy teeth-losing nights. Maybe we should check outside and see if the tooth fairy had trouble getting to your tooth."

I could almost see the little lightbulb go off inside his head. He went right outside and found the envelope, a look of pure astonishment on his face. He found $2 in change and a note that said something to the effect of, "My magic stopped working and I couldn't get inside your house. Please keep your tooth as a souvenir to remember me by. Love, the Tooth Fairy."

And he was ecstatic! It all made perfect sense! Of course her magic wore off! Of course she'd leave  a giant envelope with heavy change, because her magic had worked fine up until that point! And of course, everyone knows the tooth fairy never leaves her home without pen and paper! ;) My son was even more thrilled that he got to keep his tooth. So what could've been the day I blew it big time, turned out to be a "think outside the box" time and ended up being even more magical for my son since he got a personalized letter AND got to keep his tooth. lol

But boy oh boy, for awhile there, I felt like crawling into a hole and hiding. How could I forget to do the tooth fairy thing?? What a horrible mother I was?? It was a nice reminder of how kids will believe anything you tell them, as well as how magic can exist in anything, if we're willing to be creative. Having children opens up a world of magic, and I never want to keep that from them. For a few minutes there, I had actually considered spilling the beans because I didn't know how to recover my epic fail. But I'm so glad I didn't.

How about you? Have you made any big goofs you've recovered from? Or found a way to think outside the box at the last moment? Please share ....



     

40 comments:

Karen Walker said...

Oh Pk, what a lovely window into your world with your son. What a creative solution you came up with and how easy it is to please a child. What broke my heart is that you felt like a failure as a mom because you were tired and distracted. You are a rock star mom in my opinion. Just so you know.
Karen

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Don't feel a failure, all was well in the end, I felt awful only last week, I was saying to my daughter that in the beginning of July was her nephew's birthday(my grandson) then proceeded to say what a not so nice month it was apart from that, My mother died 10 days after my grandson was born then three days later my husband was diagnosed with terminal cancer and only lived 2months. Then came my daughter's reply "But mum it's MY birthday too in July surely you haven't forgotten?" Oh dear!!!!!!
not only that it's her husbands birthday three days after hers and my brothers' on the same day.

Yvonne.

KarenG said...

I've had to do a few saves like this. Definitely have forgotten teeth! Usually I say, leave it there another night, the tooth fairy probably had a lot of little kids to visit and didn't quite make it.

Lori M. Lee said...

That's a great story! You are a rockin mom :D I've actually done the same, but instead of using wit, I just told her the tooth fairy was extremely busy that night and would try to make it the next night. I am not as epic as you =(

Richard said...

That's what's known as a great recovery.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Aw, what a cute story! I'm so glad it turned out well.

Ru said...

That story is hilarious.

I'm going to my first conference this fall and I'm a bit nervous about it, so looking forward to reading about your experience. :)

Sophia Richardson said...

Good save, PK! And when he's older he'll still have that note and the tooth as a reminder that he has an awesome Mom which will be a more lasting memory than that time he got two dollars for yet another tooth.

Sarah said...

Great story ... it actually made me tear up a bit because it's so sweet (and I have a son on the cusp of the tooth-losing phase). It's a great reminder to be creative instead of giving up--sometimes it's important to preserve the magic of childhood, and to allow children to believe in it for just a little bit longer. I'd say this is FAR from a fail.

erica and christy said...

Yeah, you're definitely not the first parent to make up the "sometimes the tooth fairy gets really busy, I'm sure she'll be here as soon as she can" excuse!! (count me in!)
erica

Dave said...

Very nice catch! We know that feeling of panic as well, lol. You handled it like a champ. No fail there!
I'll be looking forward to reading your thoughts on the writing conference. I've been meaning to attend one for a long time, but circumstances haven't cooperated.

DM said...

I put together a Legos set incorrectly at Christmas one year. My son looked at it and said 'so there really isn't a Santa. I wondered. Only mommy would get this wrong.'
Honestly, no comeback. Too smart for me.

Colene Murphy said...

Omg! That's so adorable! Way to stay on your toes! I think, even with the little mom fail, you totally got a HUGE win with that one!

Heather said...

This happened with Stevie. He didn't even tell us he lost his tooth, just put it in his tooth pillow. After two nights of nothing he finally brought it to our attention. We were stunned and not quite sure what to say but then Stevie actually gave us an out! Turns out there was a disaster happening in the world that he had seen glimpses of on TV...he asked if we thought maybe the Toothfairy was just really busy helping out with that...and yes, yes, she was! We were saved! Glad to hear it all worked out with Sammy :)

Vicki Tremper said...

We had to do that a few months ago. We just forgot. So we told him that maybe the Tooth Fairy took a vacation day and forgot to assign a sub. He thought that made perfect sense and we saved the day. Phew.

Man, parenting is tough sometimes!

Jennifer Jackson said...

I can definitely see this story in a woman's/parenting magazine!
Very sweet.

I know moms must be superheroes at times but you're subject to normal laws, too! You gave your son a very unique memory this way, one better than just money in the same spot.

Talli Roland said...

Aw, what a wonderful story -- and how creative you were!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good save, Mom!!

M.J. Fifield said...

With a nice recovery like that, I don't think it can be counted as an epic mom fail.

I got to be the tooth fairy for one of my nieces once. I was so nervous about screwing it up that I don't think I slept at all that night.

Old Kitty said...

Awwwww yay for bringing extra magic to your son by thinking outside the box!! How adorable!! Yay for you!! Take care
x

Misha said...

Great save!

:-)

Cinette said...

I've been in your shoes! I was able to palm a toonie, ask if she was sure she looked good and hard for the money, then slipped it under the corner of the pillow. Oh look! There it is! Her tooth bag must have been full, so she let you keep the tooth!
Yes, thankfully they will believe anything, when they want to.

Liz P said...

Thanks for hosting the giveaway! I was so excited to find out I was the lucky winner! :)

I love that story - you totally made it work without giving away the truth about the TF. And don't feel bad, things happen, right? Great story, great save. And he'll remember the time when the tooth fairy couldn't get in someday when he's older, and you'll have a good laugh over it.

BTW kids are getting $2 now? Wow. It was a quarter per tooth for me (I was an 80's child). Even the tooth fairy is affected by inflation. :)

William Kendall said...

What a save!

Susan Kane said...

Great save by creative quick thinking! God gives us mothers brains that can do that!

kmckendry said...

Great story! I forgot about my son's tooth a couple of months ago. I wasn't quite as creative as you, but he managed to believe me enough to let the matter slide.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Clever, very clever.... You think quickly on your feet girl... good for you!

Bryce Daniels said...

Now THAT'S some quick thinking!!

Loved this!

Monica B.W. said...

Ha! That happened to me once, too!
And I even told him something about the busy-tooth nights...
I told him, maybe she didn't find the tooth in between your mess of sheets. Let's try tomorrow. And we did. LOL
At least, he wasn't that sad. He patiently waited till next day.
#momfail

Eliza Tilton said...

I think all of us have a few of those moments. I know I have ><

Cally Jackson said...

Beautiful story, PK. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Donna Hole said...

LOL; I'm so glad you have at least one more year before the magic bubble is burst.

.......dhole

fOIS In The City said...

I loved, loved this post. I can almost see his little face as he found the money outside and read that note :)

I have one X-mas Eve that was a disaster and somehow I pulled it out of the fire. I must have done a good job because neither of the remember and at their ages they make sure to tell you about your major blunders.

Keep doing a good job with your work and with the kids and you'll be a success at both jobs.

Tanya Reimer said...

It happens to all good moms. There I am, passed out on my notebook with the five buck in hand and I woke up to my daughter's tragic look. "The toothfairy didn't show. First time ever." I passed out before she did. Damn it.

"Actually," I was calm on the inside, sweating bullets on the inside as if I was some criminal. "When you get older, the toothfairy makes her rounds to the younger children first, so they aren't disappointed. It sucks to get older, eh? Don't worry, she won't forget you, just leave it under your pillow again tonight."

I got a funny look, but she did. Ah... for two night. Yeah. Stupid mom fell forgot the second night. gee.

GigglesandGuns said...

Boy do I feel like that picture :>/

Catherine Stine said...

What a great story! I was sweating bullets for you until the happy ending. I never forgot the $ under the pillow, but I was always nervous that I would!

Tracy said...

PK, that has to be one of the cutest stories ever!!

You may have been on the edge of an epic fail, but you covered your ass with a writer's flair. Well done!

Clover Autrey said...

That worked out great and will be so much more memorable for you both.

Meredith said...

It worked out wonderful you in the end! With three boys, all born within 3 years of each other, for a couple of years it felt they were constantly losing teeth! Some days even had two of them losing them. We had a lot of opportunities to forget "the tooth"! After once or twice, we just began reminding the kids that the Tooth Fairy is a busy lady, and it does take her a day or two to get through her list. They were happy with that and even more excited when their "turn" came up and their surprise arrived. Yes, we guiltily paid a little more than we should when that happened (tooth rewards were also based on how much money she had with her and how many kids there were that night--everybody had to get some). They found the pill bottle I kept their teeth in one day, and I told them they were my own and that the Tooth Fairy returns them when they're done losing them.

Regina said...

Our tooth fairy got bumbled in the time change once. Scary thing...glad she never made that mistake again. lol