Friday, June 10, 2011

Save the What???

At this particular point in time.... it's save the parents! Yikes! Today is the last day of school where we live and the long hours of trying to entertain two kids all summer is hanging over my head like an anvil waiting to crash.


ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Nah, I'm just being dramatic. I'm excited to have so much time with my special little guys. My daughter graduated preschool last night. So I now have a kindergartner and first grader on my hands. Such great ages! Wish I could freeze this age and keep them here forever. *sniff sniff*


Now that's a proud Little PK. :)

But the reason for the title, Save the What??  Is because I just read Save the Cat by Blake Snyder. I've been hearing about it through the blogosphere for awhile now. And since I just finished a draft  a month ago, thought it was time to brush up on some techniques.

After reading Snyder's checklist for structure, I knew exactly where and how I needed to fix my story. His formula makes so much sense. The book is for screenwriters, but it applies to any writer. It was interesting reading about how films are written, too. Like, did you know the reason there are so many sequels made is because they're surefire moneymakers? It's true. Peeps would rather spend money on characters or stories they're familiar with, rather than try something new they're unsure of.

And gosh darn I love the internet. I hopped on over to Mr Snyder's blog and told him how much I got out of it. Anyway, just wanted to mention how much Save the Cat helped me and recommend it. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Are there any books you've read lately that you'd recommend?

20 comments:

Rogue Mutt said...

"Like, did you know the reason there are so many sequels made is because they're surefire moneymakers? It's true."

Well duh. What other reason would there be?

And if there's an anvil about to drop on you, make sure you have an umbrella handy. That always seemed to work for Bugs Bunny.

GigglesandGuns said...

Have a great time with kids. Time passes to swiftly a their age.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Loved the small PK. All I can say it, thank goodness the longest school holiday over here is only six weeks. :0)

Barbara Kloss said...

Thanks for sharing! I'll have to check that out. (ps I'm looking forward to reading yours! :) ) You know, I laughed because I've been telling people I feel like I"m holding an anvil over my own head lately. I don't even have kids yet!

Enjoy your time with those little darlings!!

KatieO said...

Ooh, thanks for sharing about Save the Cat. Need to check that out.

And I'm sure you'll have a great summer with the kids - those are great ages for all kinds of low-tech summer fun. We still have almost 2 weeks left of school before I need to panic ;-)

Welcome To My World Of Poetry said...

Enjoyed the post, loved the read.


Have a lovely week-end
Yvonne

Michael Di Gesu said...

Sounds like an interesting read.


YOUR DAUGHTER IS ADORABLE!

Susan Kane said...

Will check out "Save the Cat", as it sound great. I loved the grad photo; she is so precious.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I read it last winter - great tips! Got Save the Cat Strikes Back and will attack it soon.

William Kendall said...

Two months of "can we go to the park now?"....

Old Kitty said...

Huge congratulations to your Little PK!!! Yay!!

Thanks for the intro to this book!! It's got Cat in the title so it must be good! :-) Take care
x

Jules said...

I don't know about saving the cat but I'd want to save that cutie in a time capsule as well. :)
Have a great weekend!
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jess said...

What a great recommendation~ I'm definitely checking this one out! Thanks :)

erica and christy said...

I haven't read that one (although I hope to), but I have another screenwriting book I've used. Cute pic - my little one just got done with preK, too, although now I have to admit I'm the mom of a kindergartner and 5th grader!
erica

Catherine Stine said...

Such a cute photo! You must be a proud parent!

cleemckenzie said...

THanks for mentioning Save the Cat. Wonderful book. Also thanks for stopping in at the WRite Game to say hi. I came over to add to your followers and see what was going on here. A lot!

Have a wonderful summer and enjoy those kids. Know you will.

Jennifer Jackson said...

You're right, they are at such an awesome age. I hope you and yours have a great summer!

Nelson said...

Very well written, thanks for sharing. Have a lovely week.Keep up the fantastic work! Visit me too.

Gina Blechman said...

I'll have to check it out. Literally. I'm gonna check it out of my library as soon as I finish my summer reading adventure. Thanks for the recommendation.

<3 Gina Blechman

Rachel Morgan said...

Oh, she is TOOO cute in that little red cap!