Monday, July 25, 2011

Craving Perfect!

Can I just say how much I love you guys?? I do. Your comments make my day, and the best part is that you're so clever and witty. Thank you so much for stopping by here, especially since my  epic move and house hunt has made me a mega slacker!

But more on that later ...

Today I'm super excited to have the fun and sweet LIZ FICHERA here in celebration of her women's novel CRAVING PERFECT, which debuts today! This book sounds so so fun. Here's a blurb:


Grace Mills craves being perfect almost as much as she craves raspberry scones. In fact, her life would be perfect if only she could lose ten more pounds, if only the pastry café she co-owns with her sister would turn a profit, if only the hottest guy at the gym would look her way...  And then "if only" comes true. Grace is suddenly straddling two lives: an alternate reality where she's a size two, weathergirl celebrity and being chased by the hot guy. Only Mr. Gorgeous isn't very nice, and she doesn't get to eat...anything, much less bake!
In her other life, she's starting to realize her sister is less than happy running the family café, and hunky Carlos, the gym's janitor, seems to have a secret crush on her. Maybe there's more to him than meets the eye... Grace is living two lives and it's beginning to cost her. Is there a way to pick one...that's perfect?




Is that a great cover or what? I love it!

I was lucky enough to snag Liz for a few questions. Plus, to help celebrate the day, I'm giving away a copy of Craving Perfect to someone who leaves a comment here. Just make sure you leave your email with your comment.

Without further ado ...

*** Thanks for being here today, Liz! Tell us about what inspired CRAVING PERFECT.


I got the idea for CRAVING PERFECT while I was jogging on a treadmill at my local gym.  At the time, I was spending tons of hours at the gym because I had this crazy notion about competing in a triathlon. In order to make the best use of my time, I began to write this story in my head and then go home after my run and pound it into my laptop. 

1.  ****  How long have you been writing?

I’ve been writing stories since I was 10 years old.  I decided to get serious about being published about six years ago.

2.  ****  What was your path to publication like?

Grueling.  Like most writers, I’ve learned most of what I know about publishing through trial and error.  Over the course of one year, I sent out dozens (hundreds?) of queries before I landed my agent.  I’ve been rejected a zillion times.  My first couple of novels will never see the light of day. CRAVING PERFECT happens to be the novel that my agent fell in love with initially.  It was not the first novel to be published, however. 
 (PK note here) Always makes me feel better when I know how hard other authors have worked.
3.     
      ***** How long did it take to write first draft?

It took me six months to write the first draft for CRAVING PEFECT.  I spent the next two years rewriting it, top to bottom, three more times before  I decided it was time to query.
4.     
**   ***** Is your published story very different from your original? 

The published story is very similar to the original.  Things I changed from the original have included point of view, secondary characters and, of course, deeper character development as I’ve come to know (and love) my main characters. 

5. ***** Plotter or pantser?

I’m a little of both but mostly at panster at heart. 

6. ****** Advice to aspiring authors?

Keep writing.  That was the best advice I got from my agent.  Even as you query/submit one novel, start working on your next one.
  
7.  *******  Describe yourself in one word.   

Determined.  (And slightly crazy.)

Author bio:
Liz is an author from the American Southwest.  She still runs almost every day, although mostly to balance out her daily chocolate intake.  When she's not training at her local gym or pounding out her next novel into her laptop, you'll find her in all the usual places on the web.  She is the author of CAPTIVE SPIRIT (2010), CRAVING PERFECT (2011) and HOOKED (Harlequin Teen, 2013).  Don't hesitate to drop by her web site or blog to connect.

You can find CRAVING PERFECT for sale here.  

Thank you so much for stopping by here on your special day, Liz! And thanks to all of you who have joined us! Liz is an awesome blogging friend, so don't hesitate to stop by her blog and say hello there too. I know I'm excited to read CRAVING PERFECT. How about you?



30 comments:

Old Kitty said...

I love that Liz took two years from first draft to finished polished novel!!! Yay!!! It's just I'm very slow with my current wip and it's my third year of re-drafting! So I live in hope! :-)

I love the title of this book - it says everything and so much more! I'm rooting for hunky Carlos and the raspberry scones!! Yay! Thanks PK! Good luck Liz and all the best!!! take care
x

Richard said...

Good to see that there's hope for all of us.

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Liz and PK.
I loved the blurb. I can visualize the struggles you character has already. Isn't it just the way things are that the gorgeous hunk is a loser.

gillael at aol dot com

Windy S. Marcus is visiting me today.

Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

Sara McClung ♥ said...

What a great interview! I love when authors are honest about the length of time it takes on their publication journeys.

Craving Perfect sounds like such a fun read! And it comes out in perfect time for me to snag it before going to the beach next week :)

Liz Fichera said...

PK, thank you for having me on your blog today! Thanks also for the lovely comments!

*passes around calorie-free chocolate and cupcakes*

Liz Fichera said...

@OldKitty: I love the title too. It was originally called A GIRL CAN DREAM. It had at least six titles after that too. ;-)

@Richard: Definitely! If I can do it, anyone can.

N.R.: Thank you! I love the blurb too. Carina Press is very good at sizing up the heart of a story in a handful of sentences.

@Sara: Thank you so much! Hope you enjoy.

Regina said...

Interesting interview and great book. I think it sounds really neat having to choose between two lives. It reminds me of your other post of alter egos.

regina.linton@gmail.com

Monica B.W. said...

Thanks for the interview! I love to hear the "behind the scenes" of books. :D
And Craving Perfect sounds right up my alley! :D

Monica B.W. said...

Thanks for the interview! I love to hear the "behind the scenes" of books. :D
And Craving Perfect sounds right up my alley! :D

Monica B.W. said...

Thanks for the interview! I love to hear the "behind the scenes" of books. :D
And Craving Perfect sounds right up my alley! :D

Karen Walker said...

I can't wait to get this book. It just sounds delightful. Thanks for this interview, ladies. Love hearing about how a writer got where they got.
email: karen@followingthewhispers.com
Karen

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Loved the interview, it;s good to know how different writters get their works published, where their idea's come from. My poems are mostly what happens in my life and families.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Crazy always helps!

Nicki Elson said...

Good luck w/ the house hunt & move, Pk, and thanks for the fun interview with Liz. Craving Perfect sounds totally fun, and I loved getting insight to how it all came about.

Congrats, Liz!

elson.nicki@gmail.com

Talli Roland said...

Great interview, ladies. It's wonderful book - congrats to Liz!

Liz Fichera said...

@Regina: Thank you! Yes, the book is definitely about choices, the ones that look easy on the outside but are anything but easy.

@Monica: Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the behind the scenes. With this book, it was a long time coming.

@Karen: Hello there! Thanks for visiting here too.

@Yvonne: I love poetry! I think no matter whether a person writes fact or fiction, it contains some part of that person.

@Alex: Crazy gets me through the day. ;-)

@Nicki: Thank you!

@Talli: Thank you so much! So grateful that you were one of my first readers. :-)

Jennifer Jackson said...

Sounds like a fun read!

Beth said...

Great interview to both of you. Congrats to Liz.

LTM said...

Hey! I do follow Liz, and CRAVING PERFECT sounds fantastic!!! I love the premise. And I think it's interesting that it's the one her agent fell in love with but not the first one published...

In other news, MAJOR empathy on the moving situation. I'm almost out of boxes but still feeling unsettled. Moving stinks~ :D <3

Liz Fichera said...

@Jennifer: It is, although I just might be a teeny-tiny biased. ;-)

@Beth: Thank you!

@LTM: Yep, that's the way it happened. One thing I've learned is that things never turn out how you think they should, at least that's been my experience.

Norma Beishir said...

Sounds like a good book...and you're right, it's a good cover!

fOIS In The City said...

Thanks PK, for bringing me to yet another success story. The cover is divine and the story sounds great. Will look up the web and blog for Liz.

Great interview and thanks Liz for the light at the end of the tunnel:)

erica and christy said...

These stories are always great to read. Thanks, ladies!
erica

Liz Fichera said...

@Norma: Thank you! I love the cover too.

@FITC: There is light if you keep looking for it. :-) Thanks for the kind words!

@Erica: Glad you enjoyed it! Thank you.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, PK... HI, Liz...

I had the pleasure to read Craving Perfect. Liz was kind enough to send me a copy and I REALLY enjoyed it.

Chick lit is not my thing, but Liz wove a fantasy like tale in her mc's hum drum life. A marvelous twist of fate enhances this charming read.

Nas Dean said...

Hi Liz, Hello PK,

I also read Craving Perfect, well I can say I enjoy chick-lit movies but actually had no idea what chick-lit was!

But CRAVING PERFECT was so good and Liz built a world at the gym and the treadmill. It was so interesting.

Liz is a master story-teller!

Madeleine said...

Great shout out for Liz' book. It sounds great fun to read. I like where she got the idea for it at the gym. I must do more exercise! :O)

Tina said...

That sounds like a great book! Is it available on Kindle yet? I'm blog-hopping with you...gotta get my first post up, though. Classic procrastinator.
Tina @ Life is Good

Best steroids said...

I hope you can still doing this. I mean, posting and searching useful things to share.
I really appreciate this kind of information.
The blog isn't bad, but you can change the style to written.

anabolic steroids said...

Excellent article above. May be you need more time to share all the knowledge that you have.
So, thanks for share this information with us, I always come across this amazing post.