Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Query Madness!

So all month long bloggers have been gearin' up to get an agent with the Gearin' Up to Get an Gent Blogfest hosted by Deana Barnhart.

This week we've posted queries and given and received feedback and, wow! So much awesome support is pouring in. If you're in the query phase and want to see some prime examples of great queries that have been tweaked, primped, and plumed, check out the list of bloggers on Deana's site and hop through all the talent.

I think I've actually got mine to the point I'm satisfied with it. You can see it right here. Or click to the link under My Pages on the right. I'm still open to suggestions so feel free to comment on that post.

I've posted on queries plenty of times and there are guidelines EVERYWHERE on dos and don'ts. But when it comes down to the actual query, we really need other eyes to point out areas for improvements. You can still participate with the other Gearin' Up events this month. Just hop on over to Deana's blog and see what's going on. It's a great group of bleeps there, all passionate about their stories and about finding the right agent.

How about you? Are you in the query phase?

16 comments:

Karen Walker said...

Hi Pk,
What a great idea - the query blogfest, I mean. To have so many writers give you feedback on the query letter. Good luck with that. I'm nowhere near that phase.
Karen

GigglesandGuns said...

Great idea and a wonderful way to learn about the query.

kmckendry said...

Great! I will hop on over to her site. Thanks for the link.

Rogue Mutt said...

Meh, the only "great" query is one that gets you an agent. Which sometimes doesn't even have to be well-written. You can have the best-written query in the universe and it won't matter if they don't think your story can bring in the $$$$. That's what it's all about.

Old Kitty said...

Loved your query about X Dare and the Keys to Nin!!!! Wow - sounds like the story is going to be action packed fun!! Yay! Good luck and take care x

Lauri said...

Thanks for the link! I hadn't heard about this blogfest. Good luck with your queries!

Hart Johnson said...

I think your query looks AMAZING! I also think you're right that querying is hard and the best thing we can do is get a lot of feedback before we send. I've read all the rules and I've had works I can't get the query right for anything and queries than nearly wrote themselves... depends on the book.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I have one big query , have spent hours reading up on copyright inftingemnets, but I will not rest until I get satisfaction.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm in a good place with a publisher at the moment. No story to query anyway!

Jacqueline Howett said...

Thanks for the link. Good Luck!

Bryce Daniels said...

Just took a peek. Fascinating premise, and you have me wanting more.

Course, you also have me looking warily at my son's XBox. :)

Very good! It looks to meet all the "ingredients" of a great query! Good luck!

Jess said...

I sent a few queries and then realized that I'm going to a conference that includes an agent critique of my first ten pages, so I'm trying to be patient and wait until September to send out more. Your book sounds awesome! Best of luck with querying :)

Jennifer Hillier said...

I'm really enjoying reading all these queries in the blogfest! Sneaked a peak at yours, and your book sounds awesome, PK. Sending you all kinds of good luck vibes!

fOIS In The City said...

I am in the same place with one of my WIP ... Lizzie ... after the critiques and the edits ... there has to be a time to finally do the query and let her go ...

Good luck to us all :)
Loved your links by the way.

cleemckenzie said...

Never thought writing a query could be made into fun. Wrong. Great idea.

DM said...

PK, I agree with 'needing other eyes'. I get so caught up with wanting them to see what's special about my book. Someone else reviewing it first is a great idea.