Monday, August 1, 2011

Novel Films Blogfest

HAPPY AUGUST!!


Updated Wednesday, August 3 below ...

Thanks to Madeleine for this fun blogfest! The idea is to list as many books as we can in which  we've seen the film too. If I love the book, I always of course have to see the movie. I don't always love the movie, but it's still fun to see the images come to life on the big screen.

There are even a few stories I prefer the film version over the book. Rare, but there you have it.

These are the stories that come to mind when I think of books and movies I've both read and seen. I'm sure I'm missing some, but anyway ... check out mine, then hop over to blogfest HDQ at Scribble and Edit  for the rest! :)

Books I've Read Before Seeing the Film:
Pride & Prejudice
The Da Vinci Code
Angels & Demons
Little Women
Out of Africa
Red Dragon
Hannibal
Harry Potter 4, 5, 6, 7
Gone with the Wind
Twilight saga 1-4
Vanity Fair
Day of the Jackal
The Notebook
Message in a Bottle
Lord of the Rings
Alice in Wonderland
The Exorcist
Pet Sematary
It
The Narnia Chronicles
The Kite Runner

Films I've Seen Before Reading the Book:
The Counte of Monte Cristo
Jaws
Stardust
Silence of the Lambs
Harry Potter 1, 2, 3
Star Wars
Dracula
The Hobbit (animated version)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil

UPDATE: (Wednesday) My addition to this post for today, is to let you know which film versions I loved and, surprise surprise .... which films I actually liked BETTER than the books!
My fave film adaptations are: LOTR, Harry Potters, Out of Africa, The Notebook, The Count of Monte Cristo (most recent), Stardust, Jaws, Vanity Fair, Dracula (Coppola version)


And the films I like BETTER than the actual book version:
Jaws: I love this movie. It's one of my all time faves. The ending in the film version is much more satisfying to me.
Count of Monte Cristo: Also the ending in the recent film version was more satisfying to me. However, it remains one of my fave stories of all time.
Dracula: I love how the Coppola version added in a romantic element between Dracula and Mina. The book doesn't have this at all. And while I adored the book for many reasons, I really missed that deep forbidden love between the Count and Mina.
Stardust: I LOVE this film. Could be my fave ever. I was so excited to read it. All I can say, is that it compared very little to the film. It's a Neil Gaiman story, and props to him for dreaming it up... but sorry to say the film version, to me, is WAY better. 

That's the best my jostled brain can come up with after our transitional house move to some family's home for 30 days, until our new home is ready, in which we move everything AGAIN!. Talk about brain fried ... mine is toast right about now.

But thanks so much for stopping by! I'd love to hear some of your fave book/film combos you've enjoyed! Please share ....

35 comments:

Madeleine said...

Great entry. So what did you think of Stardust the book? I read the book after the film and loved the film best I must confess. There's a few in your list I've seen the films for but not read the books. :O)

Old Kitty said...

Yay!!Great list!! I remember falling in love with The English Patient the film - went out and got the book and was so disappointed it wasn't at all like the film! LOL!! But my friend who studied the book first at uni detested the film for the same reason!!

Take care
x

Tony Benson said...

Great list! I'd forgotten about Day of the Jackal - mostly because I'd forgotten reading it rather than watching it.

Trisha said...

Originally, I also had other lists that I was going to include, like "I've forgotten what this is about but I HAVE seen it..." But I figured I should keep things shorter (and therefore sweeter). Nice list(s) PK!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Wonderful entry, Good luck.

Yvonne.

Ellie Garratt said...

OMG. There was a book for Jaws? Now that I have to read!

Michelle Gregory said...

we're in the midst of a move too, or maybe i told you that already. spending 5 more weeks in a vacation rental as we wait to move out of this city and into a new city in Montana. what an adventure. best wishes on staying sane.

The Golden Eagle said...

The Hobbit made it onto my list, too--though I read the book before watching the movie.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

LOTR can't be beat. And have you ever seen Manhunter? Much better version of Red Dragon. And it's a Michael Mann film.

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

It's such a pig, this kind of blogfest because one cannot name every darn book read and the movie watched. My list would take me to London and back 250 miles: age before beauty, and I spat blood on seeing/reading half of your list! ;)

best
F

Marsha Sigman said...

Great list! This is a lot of fun and I like meeting new peeps this way. You know right away if you have anything in common.lol

lormandela said...

Fun list! Isn't it funny (and sometimes deflating) how different movies can be from the books they are based on? I read "Sense and Sensibility" before watching the movie. Love the movie AND the book, but they're so different! Great post! I look forward to more!!!

M Pax said...

I have yet to read HP. Little Women is such a great book, and they did do a great job with the movie.

Kris Yankee said...

I've read all of the HPs, but haven't seen most of the movies. I loved LOTR (the movie) but couldn't get past all of that narrative! So many pages describing the land - really? Too much for me. I seem to read more than see the movies - the movies always let me down!

Norma Beishir said...

Angels & Demons, The DaVinci Code, The Notebook, Message in a Bottle, do TV movies count?

I'm going to have to think about this one....

kelworthfiles said...

Thanks for joining in the blogfest. I'll have my list up this evening, but my favorites are probably Princess Bride, Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, and A Wrinkle in Time

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm trying to get through the HP series as fast as I can so I can begin the movies, then see the final HP movie before it leaves the theatres.

alexia said...

Angels and Demons was such a good movie, but I liked the book less. And I liked DaVinci Code the book much better, but the movie was a bit slow. Great list!

D. U. Okonkwo said...

Ah you've picked some goodies. Many of these I've seen to. P.S - I didn't know The Kite Runner had been made into a movie. Would be interested in seeing that.

Lisa Potts said...

PK, you have my admiration. I don't know how you manage to even post to the blog with all the moving madness. Hang in there! It will all be over soon.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Great list...

I started with a few of my favorite classics... It took me forever to post because of all the lovely details I just couldn't leave out..

Misha said...

Hehehehe I also forgot more than a few books. No idea why. :-/

I'd love to read Stardust. Can never seem to find it, though.

fOIS In The City said...

Great post, PK ... can't list them all but mine are also a great many of yours and a dozen classics like Jane Eyre who has been on film now five times! Then there's The Color Purple, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, 90% of all of Agatha Christie; 95% of all Conan Doyle and Edgar Allen Poe; dozens of James Patterson and six or seven other great mystery writers; over a dozen romance novels by Nora Roberts and the thriller off shoot of Ann Reich who is the originator of the TV series Bones the books that Rizzoli & Isles is based upon by Tess Gerritsen ... a few romantic comedies/chick lit and melodramas/plays and funny sixties ladies in comedy like Gail Parent.

There is nothing better than the marriage of the arts in letters/sounds and images. The imagination of artists can go on into eternity and never bore me :)

Tongue in cheek: They say the only thing worse than moving is death :)

Rachel Morgan said...

I didn't know JAWS was a book! Wow...

Susan Oloier said...

I like how you separated your lists out. You have an impressive list (or lists) there!

Arlee Bird said...

These are some good ones. I read Pride and Prejudice for the first time last summer and immediately went to watch all of the film versions--loved them all except for the most recent Keira Knightley version.

I've seen several of the film versions of the ones you listed but read very few of the books.


Lee
Tossing It Out

T C Mckee said...

Great pics. I didn't know The kite Runner had been made into a movie either. Loved the book. I'll have to check that out. Thanks

Julie Musil said...

What a crazy time for you! You and I have the same taste in books and movies. It's now a rule that I must read the book before seeing the movie.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Ditto The Count of Monte Cristo - saw the movie before I saw the book (and psst... I liked the movie better). Great lists!

Good luck with your moves! I know how stressful they can be. Wishing you luck that everything goes smoothly, PK!

*^_^* said...

Wonderful! Awesome!

Jen Daiker said...

Great choices!!!! I'm with Jennifer I loved The Count of Monte Cristo movie version (better than the book)!

Also I LOVED Stardust!!!

Marcus said...

Hey, which "Count of Monte Cristo" is it? What year? I've seen several. Liked the 1960s Louis Jordan version quite a bit.

Did you really read the whole book? Things went awry for me around chapter 30, when he goes to Rome and there are those robbers. Stopped after chapter 34. Does it get back on track?

I also really liked "Stardust".

kmckendry said...

I loved LOTR the movie, I haven't read the book. I loved both the book and the movie of Pride and Prejudice.

Good luck with all your moves! I know how hectic that is!

LTM said...

Fun stuff! I've never read or seen the movie for Stardust, and I've only seen portions of Jaws (never read the book). But I'm not sure I agree w/you on Dracula... :D no worries~

You have my COMPLETE sympathy re: moving twice. Moving once nearly did me in... :p ((big hugs))

Jeigh said...

I LOVE Stardust the movie! I read the book afterward, too, and liked the movie more. Robert DeNiro MADE his role!