Monday, August 8, 2011

Saving Redwind


Happy Monday! And thanks for stopping by, Hope you had a relaxing, fun filled weekend, I got to see the final Harry Potter yesterday and it was wonderful. Even though I knew what would happen, I still cried when Snape died and again when all his secrets were revealed to Harry through the pensieve. So awesome.

But today I'm talking about a different middle grade character and adventure. Actually, I'm going to turn my blog over to Kris Yankee so she can share a little about her new story Saving Redwind. I love the sound of this story. You can learn more from Kris, so without further ado .... 




First, a HUGE thanks to our host, Pk, for having me on her blog. I’m Kris Yankee and I’m so excited to be here. I’d love to give you a glimpse of my new middle grade fantasy, Saving Redwind: A Wallpaper Adventure.

I thought a fun way of introducing you to my story was to interview my main character. Have you ever done that? I hadn’t until I came across a really cool blogfest this past June where authors were using Jeannie Campbell’s The Character Therapist (http://charactertherapist.com/) questions to interview their main character. There were 3 questions that the main character needed to answer. They were:
  1. What is your greatest fear?
  2. What is your biggest accomplishment?
  3. What is your biggest regret?

So, let’s get this interview started, shall we? I'd like to introduce Nick Stevenson. Nick's eleven and is the main character of Saving Redwind. Please give him a round of applause!

Nick S.: Thanks, Mrs. Yankee! I'm glad to be here. So, you've got some questions for me? Hope they aren't too hard. This is summer, and I didn't expect a test.

Kris Y.: I'm sure you'll do fine. The first question is, what is your greatest fear?

Nick: That's easy; SPBMs for sure. Or, maybe it was the Dream Birds. No...wait!! (pointing in the air) It had to be Sartung! That dude was NASTY.

Kris: Whoa, slow down. You need to explain yourself. Not everyone knows what SPBMs, Dream Birds, or who Sartung is at this point.

Nick: Why not? (scrunching his nose up and looking quite distraught)

Kris: Well, they may not have read the book yet. Just tell us about  your fears.

Nick: They are missin' out for sure. Anyway, SPBM stands for Stay Puft Boulder Men. They are these huge boulder dudes who live in Keyra Forest. They pretty much like to crush everything that comes in their path. They’re taller than a couple of hockey sticks put end to end, and when they walk the whole ground shakes. (shaking himself). They really scared me when I went over to Redwind the first time.

Kris: Redwind? Where’s that?

Nick: In my bedroom wallpaper (giving Kris a “duh” look). Those dudes are scarier than my coach when we’re losing a game.

Kris: Sounds frightening.

Nick: They were, but in the end not so much. But you have to read the book to know why.

Kris: All right, now what about these Dream Birds. I've never heard of those.

Nick: Yeah, they don't exist here in our world. Or at least I don't think they do. (looking over shoulders). Anyway, these really pretty blue and yellow birds look innocent enough until they land on your shoulder.

Kris: What happens then?

Nick: They start singing their mesmerizing tune while picking you up. It's crazy because these birds look like they weigh five pounds, but they can actually grab onto your shirt and carry like almost a hundred pounds! As their song gets stuck in your head, you'll start thinking about one of the best times in your life. You may even smell something - like I smelled chocolate chip cookies! I totally thought my mom was baking. (nodding with wide eyes). But she wasn't! She wasn't even there.

Kris: Then what happens?

Nick: It didn't exactly happen to me, but my friend Jacob told me all about it. When the Dream Birds were near me, I started thinking about this one time I spent with my dad. He was home, which isn't very much, and we were doing something with his new camera. I was really happy because he was there. (smiles). But Jacob told me that if I kept on thinking while the Dream Birds were touching me, they'd steal that memory from me. And, man, I don't have a lot of those with my dad since he's always gone. I swatted those darn birds off of me as hard as I could and ran away!

Kris: Sounds scary! What about this Sartung person?

Nick: (shudders) Sartung is the ultimate creepy idiot of Redwind. He wants to rule the land and be king or something. He's a wizard, so he's way crafty. His powers are super strong and he can trick almost the entire nation. He's mean and scary and all-around a bad dude. He gets the SPBMs to work for him, so you know that's a bad combination.

Kris: Wow! You're lucky you survived. Now, what about your greatest accomplishment?

Nick: Really? (cocky stance) Isn't it in the title?

Kris: I suppose...let's go to the final question-what's your greatest regret?

Nick: Hmmm...this is a hard one. I mean, I don't regret that I helped my new friends. But I do feel bad that I didn't tell my mom where I was going each time I flew through the wallpaper. And, I was sorta mean to my little sister. But that's what they're here for, right? (Kris shakes "no"). Well, that's probably it.

Kris: Thanks for stopping by, Nick.

Here’s the back cover summary and praise:

All eleven-year-old Nick Stevenson wants is an adventure like his dad’s. Oh, and for the creepy ceiling in his new bedroom to stop storming and spinning. When he’s asked to help save a world that exists inside his bedroom’s wallpaper, Nick thinks he’s found his very own adventure. But he has no idea it will involve talking rocks, dream-stealing birds, and becoming friends with wizards. Can Nick save Redwind and his new friends before his mom calls him home for hockey practice?
Praise for Saving Redwind:

"Great characters, tons of action and adventure, and a wallpaper world full of vivid, amazing elements sure to captivate readers of all ages make Kris Yankee's debut a winner. Saving Redwind, book one in the Wallpaper Adventure Series, is not one to be missed."
~Kari Lee Townsend, author of The Samantha Granger Experiment

If you'd like to read more about Nick, SPBMs, Dream Birds, and Sartung, please check out Saving Redwind: A Wallpaper Adventure at Amazon or CreateSpace. You can me online at www.krisyankee.com,http://adventuresthatscore.blogspot.com , and www.facebook.com/booksbykrisyankee .

Thanks again, Pk, for letting me hijack – I mean, guest blog here at your site!

No problem, Kris! Great to have you here! What a cute interview, too! Those three questions are questions I always ask of my main characters before I start writing a draft. I love the sound of Redwind, and the fact he goes through his wallpaper is brilliant. I'd like to offer one random commenter a copy of Saving Redwind... so be sure to leave your email below.

Thanks for stopping by here today! What do you think of Saving Redwind? Or how about character questions? Do you interview yours also? Please share ....

42 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Yay for Nick!! What a plucky lovely adventurous character!! Awww I love the magic wallpaper and the Dream Birds stealing memories and the big boulder men and bad bad Sartung! Lovely!!!

I don't really interview my characters (maybe I should!! LOL!) but I've read a few bloggers who do so and they're always enlightening and fun to read as they flesh out the characters and reveal snippets of the book too!

Thanks for such a fab read PK and Kris Yankee!!! All the best! Take care
x

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A wonderful read most enjoyable.

Yvonne.

Kris Yankee said...

Old Kitty~ My writing mentor told me that I should have the character write me a letter. Sometimes I do that if I'm stuck, but this exercise seemed a bit easier - right to the point. Thanks for stopping by!

Kris Yankee said...

Welcome to my world of poetry~ Thanks, and I'm glad you stopped by!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fun interview!

Kris Yankee said...

Thanks, Alex!

Talli Roland said...

Yay Kris! I love the concept of a wallpaper adventure.

Kris Yankee said...

Talli- Thanks for commenting here as well!

Carole Anne Carr said...

An excellent idea!

Kris Yankee said...

Carole Anne~ Thanks and thanks for stopping by!

Susan Kane said...

Creative book idea, and interview.

Kris Yankee said...

Susan, Thanks, and thanks for stopping by!

Christina Lee said...

Hi PK and Kris!! I like the sound of Redwind too!!!!! On my radar!!

Jess said...

Wow sounds like a GREAT book! I really want to read it!

And I SORT OF interview my characters, though it's more just for fun than to actually help me out with my story.

Once again, really cool story and can't wait to read it!

LTM said...

hey! Kris is everywhere! What a great idea to interview your MC--too cute. And this sounds like loads of fun. I'll have to run it past my oldest daughter.

best to Kris! :o)

Kris Yankee said...

Christina~ Redwind was a lot of fun to create. This book was my first attempt at fantasy. Thanks for stopping by!

ali said...

What a fun way to tell us about your book! Thanks Kris! And thanks Pk for introducing Kris to us!

I'm adding SAVING REDWIND for my boys right now!

Kris Yankee said...

Jess~ I don't interview all of my characters, but I thought this was a great exercise. I spend so much time thinking about them, that maybe an interview would be better! Thanks for stopping by.

Kris Yankee said...

LTM~ Hey, are you stalking me? : ) Just saw you over at Susan's blog. Both Pk and Susan have been great about letting me hijack- visit, ahem, their blogs today. Thanks for stopping by here as well!

Kris Yankee said...

Ali, I would love to know what your boys think! Thanks for stopping by.

DM said...

This is a fun book, except the creepy ceiling has me looking up a lot. lo Good blog.

Richard said...

Good interview.

Kris Yankee said...

DM~ LOL, that's funny. It does stop swirling eventually! Thanks for stopping by!

Kris Yankee said...

Richard~ Thanks, glad you liked it. And, glad you stopped by!

Alleged Author said...

What a great interview. Sounds like a gripping book my students might lurve. :)

Alison Miller said...

This book sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing an amazing interview! What a great way to share a book!

Kris Yankee said...

Alleged Author~ How wonderful to hear that you think your students would love my book! Thanks so much for stopping by!

Kris Yankee said...

Alison~ Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by!

D. U. Okonkwo said...

He he - Great interview and premise of the story sounds like a lot of fun1

fOIS In The City said...

Hello Kris, that was a unique way of describing your book. The best things happen when the lights go out in a little boy's bedroom.

Loved it and thanks introducing us to Nick.

PK, never thought of interviewing a character, but I talk as my MC if I am having a relationship problem or need to work out one of their problems. Yeah, its strange:)

Carol Riggs said...

I've never actually interviewed my characters! Thanks for the fun interview, both of you. :) (Yes, I liked the Snape parts too, sniff. I actually had FORGOTTEN that he even died, and was shocked!)

Jennifer Jackson said...

Cool interview of a protagonist. Great way to get to know the book.

Donna Cummings said...

I've seen the suggestion of interviewing characters before, but they always ended up being more like an interrogation. LOL This was fun -- with very concise, to-the-point questions that needed answering, letting the character's voice shine through.

Jess said...

That was such a cute interview! Love the sound of the story. Thanks Kris and thanks for hosting, PK :)

Kris Yankee said...

D. U.~ I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. It was a lot of fun to write. Thanks for stopping by!

Kris Yankee said...

fOIS~So glad you enjoyed the interview! Nick is a great character, and I'm excited to start working on the second book in the series. Thanks for stopping by!

Kris Yankee said...

Carol~Try interviewing your characters sometime; it can turn out to be very interesting! Thanks for stopping by.

Kris Yankee said...

Jennifer~I'm glad you liked the interview. It does give a different perspective to a book when it's explained from the eyes of the MC. Thanks for stopping by!

Kris Yankee said...

Donna~I'm wondering if the interview was done before the story was completed...I think it may be easier to interview after the story is done. Just a thought - not helpful when writing, but very good for introducing the book to potential readers. Thanks for stopping by!

Kris Yankee said...

Jess~Glad you enjoyed the interview. I like spending time with that character, so it was easy to do! Thanks for stopping by.

William Kendall said...

Terrific interview, Kris! Nice to meet you. I like the character, and like you, I've also done character interviews. It's a really fun way to get to a different side of them.

PK, I've got a challenge for you over at my blog....

Kris Yankee said...

William~ An author can sure learn a lot about their characters when they interview them. Thanks for stopping by!