Monday, August 22, 2011

Stardate: 08.22.2011 Mission: Blogfest


CYBERSPACE, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the blog PK HREZO. It's indefinite mission: to explore strange new blogs, to seek out new followers and new nifty websites, to boldly go where no blogger has gone before ......

*insert Star Trek theme song here*

Welcome to the fun filled Star Trek blogfest hosted by Ellie Garrett. Check out my post on my fave characters and why I love the show, then turn on your warp speed and head over to Ellie's blog and check out all the entries!


Okay, so when I was a kid my parents used to have Star Trek marathons--the original series with Captain Kirk and Spock. When a new Star Trek film would come out, we'd pack up the family for the event. I think I saw every one of the films at the theatres. I remember when Spock gave his life and then regenerated on Genesis. That was huge... I never forgot seeing that for the first time.



Then when I was on my own in college,  I used to watch The New Generation reruns every night before bed. I was so addicted ... I've seen every single one of them, but since it's been awhile, I don't exactly remember any episodes in particular that stood out for me. Of course I had a total crush on Jean-Luc Picard. And I loved the character Q.



Not sure who I'd pick to fly my starship between Captain Kirk or Captian Picard. Hey, I thought Captain Janeway from Voyager was pretty darn good too. (Yay for chick captains!)

Aside from the captains, I'd say my fave characters were:
Deanna Troi (loved she was an empath)
Spock and Sarek (loved Spock was half human and his relationship with his father)
Bones (his contrast to spock and the conflict there)
Worf (such an animal! Love it!)
the Borg queen (loved the idea of the borg as a collective with one queen. awesome!)


I love all the films, but really loved the idea of the nexxus in Generations. Plus when Captain Kirk showed up it was outta sight dynamite! Oh and the newest film rocked!! Can't wait for the next one!

I've been to Star Trek festivals that are a ton of fun, and always makes me understand what the term "die hard fan" means. LOL. I love the stories, have read a few of the books, but I'm not partial to Star Trek over Star Wars. A lot of fans think we have to decide which. I say, I can love both. And I'm sticking to it. :D

Thanks so much for stopping by! Here's a pic of Little PK (future Trekkie) with my trusty telecom I keep on my desk. You know, for those emergency beam ups. ;)

All kinds of goodies on the Star Trek website here. And don't forget to visit Ellie's blog at Star Trek HDQ!

So tell me, do you like both Star Trek AND Star Wars? Or do you only pledge your allegiance to one? Do you have a fave character or episode/film of Star Trek?

As always, live long and prosper ....


36 comments:

Old Kitty said...

I adore Star Wars - not too keen on the prequel films but as a concept - wow - what a universe!!! And I so wanted to grow up to be Princess Leia with her two plait bun hairdo!!! Yay! And who doesn't love an Ewok!?!?!

Awwww fabulous post on all things Star Trek!! I too can't wait for the second Star Trek film to come!! Yay!!

Awwwww! Loved the pic of your daughter with the communicator!

Take care
x

Madeleine said...

Great picture of Sock and Kirk. Love your choices. It's so hard to choose only 5 isn't it?

Glad your daughter has the trekkie bug and her communicator.

Laila Knight said...

Wonderful. I loved seeing Kirk and Picard together. It made my day. And the borg queen was a cool character. She got hers in the end. :)I would love to go to a Star Trek festival. That sounds like so much fun.

Jess said...

Yes I am completely obsessed with Star Wars! Besides writing, it is my one true love! I like all the movies (yes even the prequel films) and always wanted to be Princess Leia or Padme Amidala. (My favorite is Anakin Skywalker). I am also a new fan of Star Trek (too bad I didn't know much about it earlier) but other than watching some of the TV episodes this past week I'm a little in the dark on things. Anyway awesome post!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Great pictures and memories. When TNG came on the air, we made sure to record all the episodes. My kids would watch them all summer.

Hmmm ... we still have all those old tapes.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Oh, and I'm following you, but from the top and not from the networked blogs option. I don't do that one.

kmckendry said...

I agree. Why should we have to choose between Star Trek and Star Wars? I love them both.

Great pic of little PK!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The Next Gen was my college staple. And thanks to NetFlix, I've seen every episode multiple times. I've been to a Star Trek convention although I'd never dress the part. And while I enjoy both, Star Trek always trumps Star Wars.

Lori M. Lee said...

I was a huge Star Trek fan when I was little. Always loved Star Wars too, but I wanted The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine and even part of Voyager before I moved on lol. Lots of fond memories :D

Milo James Fowler said...

I liked Star Wars more as a kid because of the action, but I've been more of a Trekkie as an adult because of all the thought that went into the series -- and you can't beat the optimism.

Isis Rushdan said...

My allegiance is firmly rooted in Star Wars and I can never call myself a Trekkie.

Have to love the Borg with one incredible queen to rule them all :).

DM said...

I love Star Trek and have been to many conventions. Meeting and talking with Star Trek's characters is a fun experience. One of my favorites was James Darren from Deep Spce 9's holgraphic character.

Ellie Garratt said...

I'm glad you are Star Trekking Little PK! Your opening made me laugh - awesome!

iZombie [2vs8] said...

great stuff, there should be one universe where we all get along... can't we all just go out for coffee, someday.

jeremy

LTM said...

LOL! You guys... Not a trekkie here myself, but I like picking at my TNG-loving husband. He STILL watches the reruns. :D

Look at your little cutie girl~

Stephen Tremp said...

My daughters also love the new Star Trek movie. Live long and prosper ... Star Trek will!

Michael Offutt said...

I didn't like Generations. I really loved the 2009 J.J. Abrams reboot of the franchise.

Karen Walker said...

Love both of them and especially loved the character Deanna Troi - always wanted her particular skill set.
Karen

Richard said...

I enjoyed them all, but I was never a groupie.

Carla White said...

I was only ever into The Next Generation as a kid because my Dad and brother won control over the TV when my Mom worked evenings. I did get into it, though, and loved that Whoopi Goldberg was in it. My friends up the street and I would play Star Trek and me and the girl would always fight over who got to be Dr. Crusher - must have been the red hair that made her so popular. I don't remember much about specific episodes, but I always thought it'd be so cool to have food appear on command like it did in the show. I prefer Star Wars, but I don't see why you can't love both.

Hutch said...

I love both Star Trek and Star Wars equally, nothing worng with that at all. I also taped the next generation episodes and the original when they were on. Now I have all on DVD except for one season of Enterprise.
The 2009 movie was fantastic!

Simon Kewin said...

Fair point on the Star Trek vs. Star Wars thing. Enjoy them both, absolutely. I guess I just enjoy ST a whole lot more!

Loved your post. The Borg Queen was cool, wasn't she? And I forgive you for liking Q!

M Pax said...

The episode with Sarek were always my favorites. I enjoyed him, too.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Ooh, I love the Nexxus episode! And my kids went gaga over the Star Trek theme at one time. They'd jump up and down and scream, "Star Truck, Star Truck!"

Gotta love kiddies! <3

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

Christine Rains said...

I love Star Trek and Star Wars, but if I had to pick one, it would be Star Trek. Much more depth and emotion in the various series. I'm slowly bringing my son to geekdom too!

msmariah said...

TNG was my favorite as well. I watched that show throughout high school so that's the one I remember most.

fOIS In The City said...

Good grief :) Loved Star Trek and my fav was Mr. Spok and the best movie is when they brought him back to life ... "... to go where no man has been." Yeah !!

Star Wars? I have seen the first Star Wars trilogy so many times I can recite it line by line. I sit and recite the entire introduction out loud ... "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."

I own them and wore them out twice and I order them on Netflix and still love them. Next to Indiana Jones, this trilogy is my favorite ... well then I fell I love with Harry. Enough ... great post and thanks for the memories :)

Michelle Gregory said...

i probably know Star Wars better than Trek just because my boys like SW so much, but i prefer Trek. great choices.

Belle said...

I loved the new movie too. Great choices!

Margo Berendsen said...

I agree with you about Star Trek and Star Wars. Though Star Trek has such a broader history! I love that your daughter is already being indoctrinated! (I need to catch up with my girls). And yay - have found 2 bloggers now who remembering Deanna. I thought for a while she'd been forgotten!

Norma Beishir said...

PK, you were a really cute kid!

I like both Star Trek and Star Wars. My favorite Trek series was DS9 and my favorite movie was Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Favorite characters: Kirk, Scotty, Riker, Worf, Kira, Dax, Janeway, Paris and B'Elanna.

Oh, and of course, Q! What a piece of work!

Nas Dean said...

Hi PK,

Great pictures and memories. Thanks for sharing!

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi, PK. Great post. I loved little PK. Very cute!
I'm a purist, I'm afraid. Original Star Trek cast and original Star Wars films. What can I say? :)

-Jimmy

Talli Roland said...

Oh, I loved Deanna Troi, too! I totally forgot about her. :)

kelworthfiles said...

Thanks for warping around the federation with us! I'd say that I'm more a Trekkie than a Star Wars fan, though I love those movies too.

I keep my keycard for work in my shirt pocket, and I tend to tap my chest to confirm that it's there before walking out the door - like it's a communicator insignia!

Slamdunk said...

Ha, thanks for the memories.

I used to watch Next Generation before I went to work on the overnight shift.

I liked Troi's character as well, and the episode where the Captain has a forced dream that he is a father with a family on a planet nearing destruction is still a fav episode. So much to think about with that one.