Thursday, August 4, 2011

Stress Relief


I've been having a lot of these days lately. Could be the fact I'm in between houses and everything's in boxes. Or it could be because I start work at 4am five days a week and deal with disgruntled airline passengers. Or maybe it's because my kids are out of school and require my undivided attention til the sun goes down. Or maybe, just maybe, it's the cumulative of all of the above... plus the fact I should be hearing back on a full request any day now.

Who knows!

But I do know stress is an ugly monster who can get a hold of your nerves and stretch them over an invisible rack and go crank! crank! crank!

ARGH!

lol. Okay, now I'm scaring you. Sorry 'bout that. *insert coy smile*

So how do we keep our stress levels in check?? I'm sure everyone has their own remedies. At least, I hope you do. Because stress is bad... very bad ...

Know what I use? Humor. I seek out funny media to make me laugh as much as possible. Or else I will spontaneously combust and brains, blood, and guts will be everywhere. Ewww. Lately, my source of stress relief has been The Far Side comics by Gary Larson. Remember him?

Of course, he has a website here, where I just learned of some cartoon shorts on DVD and simply must have. This guy just makes me laugh out loud. I have four volumes of his cartoons, and throughout the years I've perused them again and again. In my twenties, I used to visit the neighborhood pub alone with one of these books in hand and laugh myself silly so that everyone around me had to know what I was reading. Yep, I'm one of those comfortable-to-be-alone-with-a-book kind of girls. It's been awhile since I've read The Far Side books, and last week, during my uber stress overload, I sought them out and buried myself in the first volume until I was chuckling like a kid at Christmas. Gosh darn I love that guy.

Seriously, I don't know what it is exactly--maybe his unique way of seeing the world through animal's eyes or even through the eyes of fantasy creatures--or maybe the subtle, but formal wording paired with a picture of a nerd with a cowlick and crooked glasses, but it just tickles me silly. Not that I laugh at every single cartoon, but the ones that do make me laugh, just brighten my day all around. It's like crack--I want more and more and more. (at least, that's what I hear anyway)

So I'll leave you with a few to start your day off right ....







You can Google Gary Larson and get a slew of his cartoons for free right off the internet. Makes for a nice break to an otherwise busy day.

BTW I totally forgot to mention the last two random winners of books from my guest author posts. Congrats to Florence Fois who won a copy of Karen Walker's Following the Whispers and Old Kitty who won a copy of Liz Fichera's Craving Perfect.  Happy to support both these talented authors. Congrats, ladies!

Tell me, my friends, how do you deal with stress? Are you a sucker for The Far Side like me? Please share ...

30 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

Humor is a great stress reliever. I love the Far Side and just about any other stuff that is humor rooted in intellect, but dumb humor works too..


Lee
Tossing It Out

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I am a sucker for The Far Side! We own all of the books and even have the TV special on tape somewhere. He quit in his prime!
And I play my guitar when stressed.

erica and christy said...

You are so busy - I'm glad you found this as stress relief! And that spider one is hilarious! Hang in there and good luck with the request!
erica

Jess said...

Usually I listen to music, and write a poem about anger, or being annoyed. It doesn't sound like it helps, but for some reason by creating something good out of something bad just makes me feel better. :D

Old Kitty said...

OMG!! I won Craving Perfect! Oh wow - yayayayyayayayay!! Awwww thank you, thank you! How brilliant, thank you! And congrats to Florence too! Yay!!! How exciting!

I got my friend a Far Side desk calendar for last year!! He loved it and even sent me a Star Trek one - I think it was last year's July. I must fish it out now! Yay!!!!

Oh you sound so busy and understandably stressed! Yay that the Far Side collection helps you. I hope things settle down soon!

When stressed, I bake! :-) Take care
x

Kathryn said...

Full??? EEEK! Congrats! How exciting! I LOVE The Far Side. I was looking for my favourite cartoon, one where people are walking through the desert and they come across a water fountain, and the first guy has the water running and says "Let's see if it gets any colder." Made me howl. I can't find the comic, and in all likelihood, my telling of it is probably not as funny.

I hope you find some good relaxation! Moving sucks.

Carla White said...

Comic stress relief is possibly the best and these made my day. :) My stress relief options vary depending on my mood but often I sit in my hot tub with a glass of wine, stare at the stars and just breathe because sometimes I forget to do that when I am stressed out. Hope your stress dissipates soon, I'd be super stressed out if all my stuff was in boxes, too.

GigglesandGuns said...

Good luck with your request. Thanks for the laughs.
Who doesn't love Far Side?

James Garcia Jr said...

*Thinks to himself* How do I deal with stress? *fills shot glass until first bottle is empty. Reaches for another bottle*
Lol! Not really! Much like you, I use humor as a weapon. I have a work cell phone that goes off when I'm in the bathroom...multiple times! I have to eat lunch in my office and my employees barge in at any moment. I have 120 employees and, seemingly, all of them and many others have that cell number. Humor is all I've got to get through 11 hour days which seem like hospital triage.
Thanks for reminding me about those comics. It's been a long time since I've seen them.

-Jimmy

Jennifer Jackson said...

I know what you mean about stress. It is all over me these days like cats on a Velcro sweater.

Thanks for the chuckle.

alexia said...

Far Side is awesome! I have my times when I get mega stressed for sure. When my eye starts twitching I know it's bad. I sleep, eat comfort food, watch a movie or have a glass of wine and some chocolate :)

Gina Blechman said...

Thanks for the giggles. Gotta love the far side.

<3 Gina Blechman

Jeigh said...

The Far Side is great! I haven't read that Hay Bar one since I was a kid, and I definitely didn't understand it back then :) Thanks for the smiles!

Jessica Bell said...

So sorry you're feeling so stressed. I had a couple of months like that this year and I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. All I wanted to do was cry because I was so tired trying to keep up. Don't let yourself get to that point. I was a total wreck. I think you just have to force yourself not to care if something doesn't get done. I mean, what's going to happen? Nothing. You'll try again tomorrow. Eventually I just had to let some things go. I guess it's the only way in the end.

Marissa Farrar said...

Ugh, I'm not surprised you're stressed with all that going on. Any one of those things at one time would be enough to start me pulling my hair out!
Thanks for the cartoons. They made me smile!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Laughter is a great combat to stress, I speak from expereience though living alone it may sound odd to neighbours hearing me laugh knowing there is no-one here but me,Thanks for the pics, found them funny.
Yvonne.

Mary said...

Glad you are finding a great release for your stress. Fingers crossed for good news on your full request! Can't wait to hear your news!

Barbara Kloss said...

Hang in there!!

ps I love far side

Michael Di Gesu said...

Wow.... so much on you plate these days...

It's all good though P.K. Even though moving is super stress related, I just love creating a new space...

For my stress relief I find watching fantastic old movies or comedies helpful. Also exercise while listening to my favorite tunes durning a happy time in my life.

And of course hanging out with close friends and loved ones always cheer me up.

AND FINALLY BLOGGING! Catching up with blogger friends ALWAYS relaxed me.

Congrats on the full and good luck!

Lydia K said...

The Far Side is sheer brilliance. I miss these cartoons. Big thanks for putting a smile on my face!

Kris Yankee said...

I used to read The Far Side constantly. Gary Larson's sense of humor is fantastic. Thanks for reminding me!

Tina said...

Hi Pk, so very nice to meet you! You had me at *insert coy smile* I tend to insert a laugh track like that now and then...then you cemented our friendship with The Far Side. What's not to love? I am your new, devoted fan. Thanks so much for stopping by and following me!
Tina @ Life is Good

fOIS In The City said...

Oh yes, I have loved Far Side for years.

Comic relief is one of the best stress reducers known to mankind and angels in heaven. Laughter, especially the laughter of children, goes out into the universe and comes back to us in so many ways.

For instance, because you put a smile on all our faces, the angels will bless you with great news on your MS ... from my lips to someone's ears.

Gook luck with everything happening in your life :)

Deana said...

You poor thing! I feel your pain:( Really!
I love farside comics, it has been so long since I've looked at them, thanks for reminding me how funny they really are.

For me, I destress by reading, which dangit I haven't been able to do any lately.

I am sending good vibes your way for the full request out...

Margo Kelly said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Totally needed this post today!!! This summer has been ridiculously stressful for me!

But, congrats on your full-request, and I hope the news you hear is GREAT. You deserve it. :)

Donna Hole said...

Blogging is actually a great stress relief for me - I get to see so many funnies in the most unlikely places.

Thanks for the few moments of downtime :)

.......dhole

DM said...

Humor - a great stress relief, along with a nice cup of tea and 5 minutes to myself.

Julie said...

Haha! These are great! Is it too cliche to say that laughter is the best medicine?

I totally feel ya on the stress thing... its tough being in this in-between writing stage, wanting to write full time (and get paid!), waiting to hear back from agents, trying to impress people with your mad writing skillzzz, while still trying to juggle a full time job (ick... 4am?! How do you survive?!)...[sigh]... someday, maybe we'll get PAID to do what we love! [fingers crossed!]

P.s. New follower alert!

A. Lockwood said...

I had a Far Side book that I used to read all the time. Definitely good for stress relief.

Cally Jackson said...

I adore the Far Side. Reminds me of when I was a kid and used to read one of his comic books from cover to cover every month or so.

I find nature a good stress relief. Perhaps it's because I grew up in the country, but there's nothing better than going for a long walk through the bush. I find it helps to put things in perspective (which ties in to your other post I just commented on!). :-)