Saturday, September 10, 2011

Dark and Stormy Night

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by! First of all, let me apologize for my lack of blog visits over the last few days. We are in renovation madness in our new home and every minute of the day is spent cleaning, painting, caulking, priming, texturing, etc.

Kind of like home revisions. (writer humor there)

BTW did you notice today is 9/10/11 ??? Pretty cool, huh? I suspect tomorrow will be an assortment of memorial posts on the tenth anniversary of 9/11 attacks on the WTC. It should be an emotional day.

So I hope to catch up with as many of you as I can and share your memories with you. Recently, I joined a blog chain and every month is a new topic the group posts on different days. The topic this month, is "It was a dark and stormy night ..." Free flow fiction of any kind.
Here's my entry... just made it up off the top of my head for this post, so keep an open mind. ;)

It was a dark and stormy night. That's how I liked it. The bleary darkness let me blend in with ease. Blending is what gave predators their advantage, and it was time for me to face the truth: I was, indeed, a predator.
Forced from the only home I've ever known, the burning, insatiable desire inside had propelled me onward. The other kids at the orphanage would be safer without me there. Once six year old Megan came up missing, I knew. It was time to move on. Memories of the attacks were like debris on the ocean tides--always just out of reach. I'd never wanted to hurt anyone. But the blood coursing through my veins was now no longer my own. 
I was a changeling: a new breed of demon that mythology and fairy tales had never introduced me to. And I was out for more blood. 

Okay, okay ... not the best or the longest.... but that's what came out of my head after the topic sentence. Interesting where the mind goes, isn't it? I've never written anything paranormal in my life, but for some reason this piece was headed that way.

If you want to see more on the blog chain, check out Eric, who went before me yesterday, and Michelle McLean who posts tomorrow.

Thanks again to all who've stopped by. I just got internet hooked up at the new house so I hope to be back in blog action and hopping around soon!!

Have you ever started writing something and been surprised at what came out? Has it ever been anything out of your usual genre? Please share ...




21 comments:

Sophia Richardson said...

Ooh, a new breed of demon, eh? Definitely interesting that you freewrote something outside of your usual genre. I always used to be surprised at the dark twists my short stories would take, but eventually I got over the fact that I have a dark side that likes to come out and play in short fiction!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I enjoyed the write, wonderful to read well done.

Have a good Saturday,
Yvonne.

Old Kitty said...

In the UK it's 10/9/11! LOL!

I love your changeling/demon snippet here!! I want to read more!! Well done you!! Take care
x

Karen Walker said...

You are nesting, Pk - how exciting is that. Good luck in your new home. Will we see pics?
Karen

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI PK,

Sounds like you are knee deep in sorting out your new place. Thankfully you have the energy and it is fun creating a new home.

The look on my client's faces when their new space is complete speaks volumes. I hope it turns out to be THE perfect space for you and your family.

I liked your excerpt. Interesting twists and turns.

In answer to your question, my latest novel started out as a contest entry to write something "out of the box."

I had a dream about the subject and decided to go with it. I had never written Y/A contemporary before, but there it was.I am now in final revisions and will be sending it out very soon.

SO, you just never know. Your excerpt could be the beginning of you next great novel.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I'd like to learn more about the character--at a safe distance, of course.

Recently, I started writing a story about what I thought would be something fluffy, only it turned into something more serious. Funny how the subconscious mind works sometimes.

Stephen Tremp said...

Happens now and then. I write short stories, then find a great place to plug them into a big story somewhere down the road.

It's a great feeling to be able to use them and increase the novel by a good 10 - 15 pages just like that.

The Golden Eagle said...

I have--I once wrote a Science Fiction/Futuristic short story (so not really out of my genre) that came out very differently from what I'd expected. And it ended up as a bit longer, too. :P

Intriguing piece!

Richard said...

Yes, that has happened to me. My entry in the platform building campaign started that way.

Cynthia Lee said...

My stuff never turns out the way I think it might when I start writing. I always have to go back and rewrite everything when I finish the first draft.

Norma Beishir said...

I've had it happen often, PK!

As for your absence of blog visits, we've all been there, so we understand!

Michelle McLean said...

Ooo chilling. Very very nicely done :D And good luck with your house!!

webmdmk said...

Nice web and content my friends

William Kendall said...

Nicely done bit of free writing, PK! Very effective.

Michelle H. said...

Very nice! Short but sweet.

Christine Fonseca said...

I'm having so much fun reading all of these. GREAT TAKE on this!

Jonathon Arntson said...

I definitely liked seeing the POV of the changeling, one who knows what is happening. Well done!

Eric said...

For such a short entry, I really like it. There's so much there, and so much more promise of what will come. In answer to your question, I am usually surprised by what I crank out (see my post LOL). But I'm a pantster to the nth degree most times. Nice job!

DM said...

Pretty nice. It might be short, but it was well-written.

Sarah Bromley said...

I like that the MC is a demon. It would be cool to see an MC with that internal struggle of essentially being something villainous by nature. Nice work!

Abby Annis said...

Cool concept! Great job! :)