Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pride

With a title like that, my topic today could be on various issues. But this Pride is about beauty that's more than skin deep, and Lauren Hammond is here today to introduce you to her brand new young adult book:



Happy book birthday to Lauren!

Pride is a story is about self-discovery and overcoming obstacles..... WOW! I love a theme like this! And I can't wait to read it!

Lauren is here today to tell you all about her book. So take it away, Lauren..... Tell us all about Pride and why you wrote it:



Thanks so much, PK! 


Beauty is only skin deep.
At age fifteen, Angela Dunne was plucked out of the crowd at her local mall by modeling agent, Olivia Lennox.

After fighting her way to the top, Angela is catapulted into the world of magazine covers, photo shoots, and runway shows. She’s traveling the globe, modeling for the best designers, and living the life most girls her age could only dream of.

And it doesn’t take long for Angela’s rising stardom to go to her head. Being beautiful has become her obsession and her image is all she ever thinks about. Her family is ashamed of her. Friends don’t know her anymore. People in general can’t stand to be in the same room with her. The new Angela, finds pleasure in belittling those who aren’t as fortunate as her in the beauty department and treats those who aren’t up to her standards like they are insignificant.

Suddenly, Angela’s modeling career comes to a halt after an accident backstage at a runway show. Now, Angela has to come to terms with the fact that she’s no longer beautiful on the outside. She’s a freak, a monster with a disfigured face. For someone who was once so beautiful on the outside but ugly on the inside, it’s up to Angela to dig deep down within herself and discover what the real meaning of beauty is.

Pride is a novel that came to me because of a co-worker. On the outside, she was beautiful. On the inside, she was a bully. Always nasty, always negative.
And it makes me so sad when people like that feel the need to put everyone else down. It's not right. I appreciate every individual for who they are. I was raised to treat people with respect and treat them the way I would want to be treated. Honestly, I'm an opinionated person by nature, but there's a difference between being opinionated and downright nasty.

The truth is, we're all the same. It doesn't matter what we wear or how much money we have, or if we've been blessed with good genetics.

Beauty is only skin deep. There's so much more to a human being than what meets the eye. And a lot of times, the inner beauty is more radiant than the outer beauty.

So go' on.... Have a little Pride...

Because you're all beautiful and you deserve it.


Awesome! Thanks, Lauren! As an advocate for teen self-esteem, I think this message rocks! We all wish you the best of luck with this!!


You can buy Pride at SB Addison Books. 
                                               Smashwords
                                               Amazon
 What a great gift for any teen reader! Be sure to leave a comment for a chance to win because I'll be sending one random bleep a copy of Lauren's book!

Leave me your email if you want to be entered into the drawing ...

But also, tell me what true beauty is to you ...

14 comments:

Jessie Harrell said...

this is such a great theme for teen readers -- and a very hard lesson to learn in today's society, that seems to value looks above all else. hats off to Lauren for telling this story!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A wonderful story to read Lauren, I hope your book does well,

Yvonne.

Samantha Vérant said...

OOOH! Sounds like an awesome read. I need to get me some Pride, the book that is.

Kelly Hashway said...

I just bought my copy of PRIDE. I can't wait to read it!

Matthew MacNish said...

What a cool premise for a story!

Karen Walker said...

I love this theme. It is one I have thought about most of my life because I never thought I was pretty, although I was told I was. Now I look at pics and can see I was. But it's so true that beauty is not about our physical appearance, but about who we are.
Karen

salarsenッ said...

Yeah, Lauren is something made of awesome!!! Congrats, girl. Thx for highlighting her, PK!

Old Kitty said...

Thanks PK and Lauren for the intro to Pride - and a happy book birthday too!! Yay!!! Take care
x

Melissa Hurst said...

This sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing:)

LTM said...

hey, that sounds fantastic! It sounds like a great book with a great message. Best of luck to you, Lauren!

Thanks, P~ :o) <3

DM said...

What a great book with a wonderful lesson. Thank you both for today's blog.

Medeia Sharif said...

Congrats to Lauren on her release. Sounds like a great book.

Cally Jackson said...

This sounds like a wonderful read - I love a book with a good message. In terms of true beauty, compassion and kindness are the most beautiful things to me. :-)

Trisha Wolfe said...

Awesome post! I'm getting my copy today, I can't wait! Sound simply amazing.