Monday, September 19, 2011

Worst Movies Ever!

Today's blogfest is brought to you by Alex J. Cavanaugh, author of CassaStar and blogger extraoridnaire, because let's face it, the blogosphere essentially belongs to Alex, and we are merely his minions employed to do his bidding ... lol (just teasing, Alex, you know I <3 ya! )


This should be a blast with everyone's ideas of the worst films ever made. Can't wait to get around to read them all. Check my picks out, then head on over to HDQ at Alex's and peruse the many bloggers participating. Great way to make new bloggy friends.

On to my list.....

Please note* I don't wish to offend anyone. If any of these are your faves, my apologies. But film viewing is subjective. What works for you, may not work for me, and vice versa. ;)

(in no particular order)

1. Showgirls   **  Saw this in the theatre and what can I say. Waste. Of. Time.
2. Mars Attacks  **  What was it with this one? It had all these great actors in it, but gee whiz it just sucked.
3. Jaws 4  **  Okay, I'm a big killer shark attack fan. It fascinates me and I can sit and watch sharks on film all day. I'm a huge Jaws fan and love the first three, the original being the best, of course. The fourth one just had no story. The shark followed the family from New England down to the Bahamas on instinct? Come on.
4. Unbreakable  **  I felt like this one was M. Night Shyamalan saying "I did good with The Sixth Sense, now look what else I can do!" And he fell flat on his face. I think he's got a great imagination, but this story, as well as some of his others *cough* Signs *cough*, just lack the right structure to make them work. We saw this in the theatre and were laughing in places that weren't supposed to be funny.
5. The Wolfman (most recent)  **  Who doesn't love a good werewolf movie?? I'm a sucker for them and will never pass them up. Grew up watching werewolves and the scarier the better, but this one was such a let down. Not even scary. Just gory. It makes the list for sheer disappointment alone. I was psyched to see it, and I know it's a remake, but I left the theatre on opening night like a deflated balloon.
6. Body of Evidence  **  Huge Madonna fan here. Love her music and style and hers is one of the best concerts I've ever been to. She was awesome in Evita, even Desperately Seeking Susan wasn't so bad, but this movie was such a Basic Instinct wanna-be. It was hard to digest. I was embarrassed for her.
7. Armageddon  **  Okay, I know not everyone will agree with me on this one. My bro-in-law loves it and saw it in the theatre twice. I, on the other hand, almost walked out of the theatre I was so annoyed with it. Maybe because I saw Deep Impact first--which I thought was a way better story. But seeing Armageddon and it being so similar in concept, but so poorly executed, I wanted to ask the theatre for my money back after sitting through the travesty. And to make it worse, the Aerosmith theme song for that movie has got to be the worse Aerosmith song ever. Yeah yeah, I know Tyler's daughter was the main actress in the film and all and it's so sweet... blah blah blah. Both the film and the song are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
8. Glitter  **  I didn't even see this one. But I'm gonna guess that it has to be one of the worst films ever made. The trailer was so bad, it said it all. What was Mariah thinking? The title alone is puke-worthy. Did she expect it to be some blockbuster?? Barf.
9.  Beloved  **  Oh my, Oprah. *shakes head* What a disaster. I love Oprah. I really wanted to like this movie because I admire her so much. Um, yeah, that didn't happen in the least. This movie was awful.

For extra credit, I took a poll on Facebook and here are the answers the crowd gave on their picks:

Rubberface
12 Rounds
The Year of the Dog
Death Race
Angry
Jason X
Red Riding Hood
Sucker Punch
Cabin Boy
Remains of the Day

I haven't seen any of these. Good thing, I guess.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

What are your thoughts? Are any from my list on your own? Do you like any of these and able to show me the light? What do you think is the worst movie ever?

56 comments:

Christine Tyler said...

Armageddon is indeed truly terrible. You are not alone.

Animal crackers? Really?

Melissa Bradley said...

I love your list, though I disagree with The Wolfman. I absolutely loved it. And yes, Armageddon is terrible, just terrible. And do not get me started on Beloved. :)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

As I haven't been to the movies in such a long time I can't recall many films, I have heard about a few but have not seen them.

Have a good day.
Yvonne.

Old Kitty said...

I love Mars Attacks!! I even got the free t-shirt! LOL!!!

Oh yes, I forgot about Showgirls - that was pretty stinky wasn't it?!!? LOL!

Take care
x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wolfman! Yes, that was awful. Saw it in the theater unfortunately.
And I don't own the blogging world? Bummer.
Thanks for participating!

Pk Hrezo said...

Yay! I've found others who hated Armageddon!! I thought I was like the only one in the world who couldn't stand it. :D

Clarissa Draper said...

I didn't know they made a Jaws 2 and 3! Yeah, you picked good ones, they were all bad.

Budd said...

Mars attacks rocked. I also thought Sucker Punch was good, but I am in the minority there.

iZombie [2vs8] said...

armm-a-what-din...
you didn't cry when the dad visited his son with a space shuttle and at the end the ex-wife came running up and said that is your daddy... or when every thing that could happen did.... or bruce at the end to gracie... i am shocked!

:)
i love bad/worst movies, these lists are tough!
jeremy
twothumbseightfingers.blogspot.com

CobraMisfit said...

Anything by M. Night (other than 6th Sense). Case in point: The Last Airbender (have mercy), The Happening, etc. Hours I'll never get back.

And 100% yes to Jaws 4. The series jumped the shark (pun intended) with #3.

Finally, since you love shark movies, how about Shark Night 3D. 90.3% of it takes place during the day. Oh, and it was awful.

Talli Roland said...

I haven't seen any of these! Wow I'm starting to realise with this blogfest how few movies I've seen. Or crap movies, anyway! :)

Karen Walker said...

I haven't seen most of the films people are talking about today, so I guess that's a good thing.
Karen

fOIS In The City said...

Maybe I don't get around much anymore? Not. Even the ones I didn't see in the theatre, I might have seen on TV. To be sure I have never seen any of yours or those from your Facebook friends.

I think any Madonna movie except Desperately Seeking Susan would be on my list, even the two where she was paired with Antonio Banderas and Sean Penn.

All but the first Jaws were dismal and one shark movie was my limit. Some horrible thing about worms with Kevin Bacon. "Weather" movies make me crazy but The Perfect Storm gave me a migrane, and was one of the movies I walked out on.

Have fun with this :)

Stephen Tremp said...

These movies are just painful to watch! I forgot about Mars Attacks. That was awful. We couldn't finish it. And Beloved was one of the worst. Wifey drug me to that one.

Jess said...

The only one I've seen out of those is Armageddon, and I KIND OF liked that movie. I didn't LOVE it or anything but I thought it was okay. But I agree with you on the song part, I really don't like that song!! Great worst movies!

Barbara Kloss said...

Ha! I haven't seen most of those, so I guess I don't need to :D

That's awesome you had a FB poll.

Jeffrey Beesler said...

I hate it when Hollywood turns ordinary, man-eating sharks into serial stalkers as well.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Where have I been? I didn't know Oprah did a movie, though I confess that The Color Purple was one to be remembered!


♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?

YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

Pk Hrezo said...

How could I forget about The Perfect Storm??? That one was awful, awful, awful.
Oh and Hollow Man with Kevin Bacon was just horrible!!

M.J. Fifield said...

I have to admit, I do get a kick out of Armageddon. I haven't seen any of the others on your list but from what I've heard of them, they definitely earned their spots.

Lydia Kang said...

I'm being reminded of all these movies I realized were awful. Why thank you!

Pat Tillett said...

You list contains some real stinkers, that's for sure! I couple of the ones from your FB poll, were okay for me. But just go to prove that there are a TON of bad ones...

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

GAH!!!! i LOVE unbreakable!!!

but i couldn't agree more on mars attacks!
and the wolfman, i wanted to love, but i snored most of the way through!
i've heard terrible things about beloved as well!

DM said...

Pretty good list. The worst for me was 'Dr T and the Women'. Uck. Walked out before it ended.

Michael Di Gesu said...

SHOWGIRLS AND GLITTER made my list too!

Amazing how many bad movies have been made ...

Christine Rains said...

Showgirls was an unintentional horror film. I shudder thinking about it. Unbreakable and The Wolfman both bored me to death. I don't think I've ever watched either one all the way through.

Laila Knight said...

I'm so glad you agreed with Mars Attack. That was attrocious. :)

Isis Rushdan said...

Beloved was a nightmare brought to the big screen. I complete erased from my memory. I suppose it was from the trauma of watching it.

I like your list :)!

Nebular said...

I actually liked the Unbreakable and Sucker Punch quite a lot. The rest of your picks - I hated.

Susan Oloier said...

I must live in a dungeon b/c I have not seen a single one of these movies (though, to my credit, I have heard of some of them).
Nice list, PK!

The Golden Eagle said...

I've never seen any of these movies. Thanks for the list!

RaShelle Workman said...

I liked SuckerPunch and Unbreakable. Suckerpunch - the visuals were really amazing for me, though the story was kind of lame.

Paul Joseph said...

I wish I remembered Mars Attacks. That movie should have never been made!!

Arlee Bird said...

I saw a few of these but didn't really hate any of them and I did like Armageddon, but I tend to have a thing for any major disaster movie.

Pretty sure that I'll never be seeing Glitter or Beloved--at least not intentionally.


Lee
Tossing It Out

J said...

Fortunately, I haven't seen any of these except Armageddon, which was awful. Ugh.

Jen Daiker said...

SHOWGIRLS! You nailed it... it even sat as number one. Brilliant!

baygirl32 said...

glitter - just reading the title sends shivers down my spine - the sounds of her voice kills me

Nick Rolynd said...

I have to say I wholly agree with this list. All of these movies are awful, and I won't even watch them on TV even when I'm bored. xD

(BTW, sorry I haven't commented in so long. I've been neglecting my blog and just renovated it yesterday, so now I'm back!)

LTM said...

Showgirls has made many of the lists I've read, and I though of Glitter... although I've never seen it. Also Gigli. Same story.

this is too hilarious and fun~ :D

Jennie Bailey said...

Glitter and Showgirls made so many lists! And Unbreakable would have been better titled Unbearable!

Alleged Author said...

"Body of Evidence." Ugh. So many horrible memories to erase.

julie fedderson said...

Showgirls was on my list too. And Body of Evidence was cringe worthy, I agree.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Great list.
Did you remove number 10?
I love the name Glitter being 'puke-worthy'!
HMG

Norma Beishir said...

Plan 9 From Outer Space
Waterworld
The Postman
Avatar
Pluto Nash
Showgirls
Glitter

...but I loved both Armageddon and Deep Impact!

cleemckenzie said...

You haven't seen a bad movie until you've seen Broken Flowers with Bill Murray. No kidding.

Melodie Wright said...

Worst movie ever: Field of Dreams. And yes, I grew up in Iowa. D.U.M.B.

Cally Jackson said...

I agree with you on all of these except Armageddon. I loved that movie. But I've never seen Deep Impact, so maybe I should watch that and then report back!

One of the worst recent movies I've seen was The Heartbreak Kid. Ben Stiller, what were you thinking??

Lisa Potts said...

I picked Jaws 3 for my list, but they were all pretty dismal after the first one. And I SO wanted The Wolfman to be good!

Belle said...

Couldn't finish Mars Attacks, and haven't seen most of your list for which I a glad. My worst movie was Seven. I walked out.

Catherine Stine said...

Hood Rats, Gigli, Biodome, Swept Away, Battlefield Earth, Hot Tub Time Machine, the Smurfs!

Catherine Stine said...

Oh, and the worst movies that are secretly awesome: Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Leprechaun Three! Gotta see them when you want some real belly-laughs.

Medeia Sharif said...

I couldn't finish Body of Evidence.

I enjoyed Unbreakable, but I'm not familiar with the others.

Basic Instinct 2 is another unwatchable movie for me.

DL Hammons said...

Michael Bay (director of Armageddon ) ruins everything he touches. His movies are all style, quick cut edits, and no heart. I call his movies eye-candy. :)

Liz Fichera said...

You've got a few of mine on your list. I'm not a fan of the slasher movies either. The last movie that really disappointed me was Red Riding Hood.

Aguilar Elliot said...

i share the same perplexity about mars attack sucking. i wanted to like it, but just could not.

William Kendall said...

I like Mars Attacks!!

Oh, yes, Jaws 4... apparently the shark can not only swim thousands of miles, keeping up with a plane... it's got a personal grudge against a whole family because of what's been done to three of its predecessors, and can track any member of that family across vast stretches of ocean. Oh, and it roars while leaping right out of the water.

Showgirls is indeed pure dreck.

And there's a couple of others that I've heard of are absolutely horribly bad movies... The Room and the Human Centipede.