Tuesday, January 31, 2012

An Invisible Thread

So I have to give props to my book club ladies for picking out these amazing memoirs lately. Last time it was The Glass Castle, and this time it was An Invisible Thread. Normally I don't have much time to read memoirs for pleasure, but I'm so glad these two stories were set before me.

An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff and Alex Tresniowski is one of those true stories that just grabs you by the heartstrings and doesn't stop tugging. My long time friend Phuong from high school suggested this book and I halfway through it I was telling her how I could literally feel my heart swelling as I read this story. Seriously, everyone should read this.

In short, it recaps the fateful meeting of one successful NYC businesswoman and a destitute inner city child, and how they managed to bond and establish a friendship that exceeded the tests of time and doubt to become something much more: family.

It is a beautiful story, and I guarantee you will become a different person after reading it. It's quick and easy and so gripping. I think I teared up in every other chapter. I couldn't put the story down. I read every chance I had to find out what happened between these two totally different people who were brought together by an invisible thread.

There are pictures and even a link to a video so readers can see who they're reading about. And there is also a website so others can share their own stories of coming together by an invisible thread. (link above)

Treat yourself to this story. You will feel a warm sensation fill your soul. I was reminded of the Grinch when his heart grew three sizes on Christmas day--not that I'm the Grinch, lol, but you know what I'm saying ....  That's how I felt reading this story. It is an indescribable feeling.

Kate Quinn at our blog chain wanted to know what makes us feel, and this book right here made me feel more than any other has in a long time. You can also check out what makes Eric and Michelle feel.

Have you read any books like that lately? Please share ...

24 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks for the great recommendation!

Jess said...

Yes, very good recommendation! Right now I'm reading Talli Rolands book, The Hating Game. I'm really loving it :)

Michelle H. said...

The Invisible Thread does sound interesting!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Two books that sounds very inviting to read. Thanks for the reviews,

Yvonne.

RachelMaryBean said...

We read The Glass Castle in our bookclub and I loved it! I'll have to check this one out, too. Thanks!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I'm adding this to my memoir list. I read Veronica's Nap by Sharon Bially recently. Made me feel.

Stephen Tremp said...

I read Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn and gave that a five star review. Memoirs are difficult because the writer has to make the reader care and even though they may have a great story to tell they struggle to form that affinity with the reader. Glad to hear the Invisible Hand did just that.

Old Kitty said...

An Invisible Thread sounds lovely and truly heartwarming! Thank you for the info and links too. Take care
x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd never read a memoir until Karen Walker's Following the Whispers and it was really good! Surprised me I like it.

Jess said...

It sounds beautiful~ thanks for the recommendation!

Rebecca Kiel said...

Always looking for good recommendations. Thanks!

Donna Yates said...

Thanks for telling us about these books. I enjoy books that can bring out a variety of my emotions.

Miranda Hardy said...

I can't recall a true story that I've read recently like this, but I did pick up Jay Asher's 13 reasons why again. Still couldn't put that book down till I was finished.

I'll have to check this one out.

KarenG said...

Nothing calls to me like a good memoir! It's the one genre that once I pick it up, I can't put down until the end.

McKenzie McCann said...

That's a true story? Wow.

Books I'm reading lately? Well I'm beta reading this one YA historical thriller...x3
Aside from that, I just got Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut back from my best friend and plan to dig into it after finals are over.

Jay Noel said...

I'd like to read a good memoir, as I love all things biographical. Just haven't had time!

L.G.Smith said...

I also read Karen Walker's memoir recently and liked it. Hard to read those emotional stories sometimes, but somehow you're always glad you did.

Susan Fields said...

That sounds fantastic - thanks for the recommendation!

Johanna Garth said...

The Invisible Thread sounds interesting. The last biography I read was The Man in the Rockefeller Suit. I absolutely could not put it down.

Trisha said...

This sounds like an amazing book! Adding it to my TBR!

Jeremy Bates said...

fantastic to read

fOIS In The City said...

Yes PK, some of what we read can actually transport us to the front porch or doorstep of a character. They pull you in and sit you down and you see and feel them and everything around them. Great story tellers are such good friends :)

I found something odd in the first mysteries of a popular author. I found that although I had never been to Los Angeles, he made me see and feel it. A strange place to find pathos and poetic prose, but Michael Connelly does it with his main character Harry Bosch. Of course for a change of pace try Barbara Kinsolver's The Lacuna :)

Leslie Rose said...

Perfect timing. Memoir is the next genre on my "Book Whisperer" checklist. *Dives for Kindle*

William Kendall said...

Thank you for the recommendation, PK!