Friday, January 20, 2012

The WRITE Dreams ...

Such a catchy name, eh? Well, I didn't make it up. If you're not already familiar with the awesomeness of Marieke and the other ladies at Write Dreams, let me take a moment to acquaint you. It is SO worth your while to get to know their amazing efforts and causes. Each year they arrange fantastic auctions for writers and readers, to help raise funds for special causes.

Last year they had great success for the Japan relief efforts after the earthquake. Right now, they are raising funds for Donna's Dream House. Don't feel bad, I didn't know what Donna's Dream House was either... it's based in the UK.... and rather than tell you what they do ... I'll leave you the link and tell you it is an AMAZING effort.

Last time Write Dreams had an auction, I won an arc and ten page critique from a super fun debut author. It's worth it to hop over and see their items... Every day they add more to the auction, so you can check it daily. Lots of YA and MG authors. And these are beneficial to everyone who participates.

Marieke has stopped by to tell you a little about why this fundraiser for Donna's Dream House is so important to her ....

Hi , It's Marieke here. :)

  I remember walking past a hospital room one day. The room appeared to be sealed off and its white walls and sterile smell didn’t fit in the otherwise colorful children’s hospital. The people inside wore gowns and gloves to keep the risk of infection to a bare minimum.
It looked like the scene from a thriller – Outbreak, or something.
Instead, what I saw were the effects of a bone marrow transplant. I remember staring at the room while the whole process flashed around in my head. A transplant meant harvesting marrow through a needle in your hip. It meant severe chemotherapy to destroy all the remaining marrow in your body. It meant not knowing what would happened next.
I don’t remember if the patient was a boy or a girl, I just remember standing there, aged 12, thinking it might be me.
Up to that point, I’d spent a lot of time in several hospitals; after that moment, I’d spent even more time in medical care because my immune system was doing everything it shouldn’t and nothing it should. Standing outside that room is one of many memories that would forever stay with me. The others? Going to a sea aquarium with other patients. Being allowed to wander around the off-limits section of a military airport (hey, I’m a geek!). Ice cream on an afternoon away from the hospital. Singing along on the top of my voice to Meat Loaf songs at the hospital school’s dance. The colors and laughter of a family room.
Because the only thing that outweighs not knowing if tomorrow is still there is living today to the fullest, together with family and friends. Donna’s Dream House gives children and teens with life-threatening diseases the chance to make those memories and live those dreams. At least, it did. Until right before holidays, part of the main building was torched beyond repair.
They were forced to cancel Christmas for the families set to stay there.
Think about that for a moment.
And then hop over to Write Dreams, a kidlit auction to raise money for Donna’s Dream House. This week and next we have some amazing lots of signed books, critiques, ARCs, swag… not to mention a whole lot of UK authors chipping in too, so the perfect moment to try out some delish foreign books ;-) Hop over and please help us give Donna’s Dream House a better start of 2012. 

Thank you!

Thanks to Marieke for that heartfelt memory. I'm telling you, peeps, hop over to the Write Dreams blog and just look at what the arsons did to this charitable organization. Unbelievable. 

FYI if you plan on bidding and you're from the U.S., the amounts shows in GBP sterling. So here's a quick currency convert for you:

1.00USD = .65GBP           1.00GBP = 1.53USD

Next week I'll have more from Mary Kole's webinar, so check back then. And please, by all means head over to Write Dreams and start your bidding! You may just stumble onto an excellent opportunity, while helping a wonderful cause!

Thank you SO much for stopping by here! Have a wonderful weekend! 

19 comments:

Margo Kelly said...

I love your blog! Thanks for keeping us updated on important things! :) Have a great weekend! I'll be off judging HS Speech & Debate competitions today and tomorrow!

Jay Noel said...

Sounds like a wonderful cause!

Thanks for sharing. And you have yourself a wonderful weekend.

Old Kitty said...

Thanks for sharing info to this wonderful cause!! Take care
x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's an awesome cause!

SA Larsenッ said...

It's a great site, supporting awesome causes!

Johanna Garth said...

What an amazing cause. Thanks for the link and info!!

MISH said...

What a wonderful cause! I'll hop over shortly to check it out...

Melissa Sugar said...

What an awesome cause. I am going to check it out right now. I love auctions and the prizes sound amazing. Thank you for sharing the information and promoting such a wonderful cause.

Susan Roebuck said...

Hi Pk, I've followed you over here. What a fabulous blog! Glad I've found it :-)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A wonderful post, a wonderful cause.

Yvonne.

Donna Yates said...

What a wonderful cause and an unselfish use of the internet. Thanks for this post, PK.

Donna Hole said...

An awesome event. Nice to see such goodness here in the blogs.

.......dhole

Deana said...

I have heard about them! Thanks for the reminder, I'll go check it out:)

Leslie Rose said...

Thanks for the connection.

Marieke said...

Thanks for having me, PK! :)

Miranda Hardy said...

I love these auctions. Such worthy causes, too.

Melissa Bradley said...

Thanks for sharing this. It's no wonder you were my Someone To Know on Friday. Sorry I didn't let you know sooner but things went crazy. Here's the link if you want to see what I wrote about you and your awesome blog. ;)

http://melissasimaginarium.blogspot.com/2012/01/friday-awesomeness-someone-you-should.html?showComment=1327283509122#c5784626242709827931

William Kendall said...

It sounds like an ideal cause!

Blogger said...

eToro is the #1 forex trading platform for novice and pro traders.