Friday, March 16, 2012

FLOAT Above the Rest ...

Today is the National Day for Action Against Bullying and Violence. I love seeing the anti-bullying campaigns that have popped up over the last few years. Kids are starting them themselves, along with whopper-sized organizations--all in the name of bully awareness.

While I sincerely believe bullying will never fully go away, I also believe that by empowering kids to speak out, stand up for themselves and each other, we really can help make a difference in victims' lives.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share a story with you called FLOAT.

F.L.O.A.T. stands for For Love Of All Teens. It's a story about life after bullying--after high school ends and how one girl who was the victim of bullying for many years learns to claim her confidence and put an end to the cycle.

All proceeds of FLOAT go towards funding the FLOAT MISSION.

FLOAT is about kids sticking up for each other, and the campaign is really about individuals starting up their own chapters and groups in their communities. FLOAT is not a patented or copyrighted name. It's available for use by ANYONE. Feel free to use it in your own school to create awareness and get involved.

Want to learn more? Check out the blog here and find out how. There's also a list of helpful links to other ant--bullying sites. Feel free to snoop around and make the FLOAT cause your own.

More information on where you can buy the story FLOAT can be found here. What are you waiting for? Start spreading the word! And feel free to snag a copy of the picture below for your own website or blog.

And be sure to stop by Sheri A. Larsen's Writer's Ally to see more posts on bully and violence awareness.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Has bullying ever affected you or someone you know? Please share...

28 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

What a great book idea (and ACRONYM!) I agree with you about the fact that bullying will never go away. But there's always going to be a way to help. Even just a little :)

Jessica Bell said...

What a great book idea (and ACRONYM!) I agree with you about the fact that bullying will never go away. But there's always going to be a way to help. Even just a little :)

Old Kitty said...

It's a lovely campaign and more power to FLOAT! I think the more bullying is marginalised and bullying behaviours ostracised, the better!

Take care
x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've never been bullied, but I know kids who have.

Kyra Lennon said...

What a brilliant idea! I will be sure to find out more about FLOAT!

Andrea Mack said...

Thanks for drawing my attention to this - I'm off to find out more.

DL Hammons said...

How did I not know today was the National Day for Action Against Bullying and Violence? I would have definitely scheduled a post for it. I've seen both sides of the bully spectrum...having been bullied and then sticking up for other kids experiencing the same. FLOAT is an awesome idea.

And your right, bullying will never go away, not as long as so many people believe that ridicule is a viable form of humor.

Dawn Dalton said...

FLOAT! I love this. Thank you for sharing!

Linda Jackson said...

PK, I am a survivor of bullying. It stopped after elementary school, but oh the horrors.

I have added the pic to my blog, and I will definitely support this book.

Stephen Tremp said...

Great post! I've never been a bully or ben bullied but I despise bullying. Never liked to see someone picking on someone because of a disadvantage. Really irks me.

Matthew MacNish said...

What an excellent cause! Thanks for spreading the word, PK.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Thank you for sharing about FLOAT!

Johanna Garth said...

Will definitely go check out the FLOAT link!

Cortney Pearson said...

So glad you're posting about this! Bullying is seriously so sad. Thanks for spreading the word!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Like the balloon. Good one.

Bullies may never go away, but how we treat them and their targets can diminish their power. I'm all for that. I've stood up to bullies all my life and usually in behalf of others. Can't stand them. Taught my kid to do the same.

Good article.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

SA Larsenッ said...

PK, I think you already know how much I HEART what FLOAT stands for. You are very special. :)

Laura Marcella said...

Thanks for sharing the information about FLOAT, PK. What a wonderful idea it is!

It's tremendous hearing about these anti-bullying organizations starting among children. While you're probably right that bullying won't ever go away, hopefully some day it won't get so bad to drive kids to suicide because they'll be able to stand up to bullies. Bullying must stop among adults first, though, because kids learn from example. If they see their parents and teachers treating everyone with kindness, compassion, and respect, then they will too.

Brinda said...

This is a great post that addresses such an important issue. I love what FLOAT stands for.

Roger Lawrence said...

I was bullied mercilessly as a child. After I left school and trained in martial arts I never had to raise my hand again. Somehow the bullies can sense the fear. I have pity for all those bullied. But all it takes is one (in most cases) act of defiance and they will generally turn away for softer targets.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

I was bullied a lot and almost didn't make it through school.

There is a documentary coming out about school bullying and it's rated R! It is like saying kids aren't old enough to understand what they go through. **Sighs

Christine Rains said...

What a great cause. Thank you. Bullying has to stop. I'm a little afraid for my son who will go to school in a couple of years. I was bullied. It was horrible in the schools in my little town.

LM Preston said...

Bullying is a bad word. But you ever wonder where kids get it from?

Leslie Rose said...

Important cause. It's sad how we see the seeds of serious bullying staring even in elementary school.

Sarah Pearson said...

I'm pleased to see bullying being brought out into the open so much more. Schools need to recognise this is not a dirty secret, but something that needs to be dealt with openly and honestly.

William Kendall said...

I had a couple of incidents with physical bullying when I was in school, which ended when I had enough and hit back.

I've also had to deal with emotional abuse, which has brought me to a point where I've had to sever ties with two sisters. Their behavior is so toxic that for my own well being, I can't have them in my life.

d.J. Kirkby said...

I like the idea of the story, the cover and the concept of FLOAT. I prefer to avoid talking about the bullying I endured while growing up with undiagnosed autism, dyslexia and dyspraxia. I do make myself stand up against bullying when I see it happening now though.

LTM said...

you are so awesome for doing this. I do have your book on my Kindle, and I'm a fan of that page on FB. I need to do a read/review next for it~ :o) <3

Donna Yates said...

It is sad that as civilization advances in so many areas, bullying is still considered the norm. It is a sad thing, and should never be condoned.