Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for ...

Welcome back, or if it's your first time dropping by here, WELCOME! My blogging A-Z theme this month is favorite characters.

So for letter C:


Chris in the Morning, the silver-tongued, mellow-styled, full of witty charm dee-jay in Cicely, Alaska (population 800) from the early 90s TV show, Northern Exposure. Oh boy did I have a crush on him back then. Everyone loved Chris in the Morning.

Chris was an ex-con who grew up to an alcoholic dad who was never around. He definitely had some skeletons in his closet, but what I loved about him, is that he didn't let it define him. He was okay with it, and used it to deepen his own soul, as well as his understanding of mankind. I loved hearing him give advice to the citizens of Cicely. He just had this really great way of seeing the world, and respecting everyone and everything for who they are. Okay, he was a hippie, basically. LOL

But here's a quote from Chris:
"There's a dark side to each and every human soul. We wish we were Obi-Wan Kenobi, and for the most part we are, but there's a little Darth Vader in all of us. Thing is, this ain't no either-or proposition. We're talking about dialectics, the good and the bad merging into us. You can run but you can't hide. My experience? Face the darkness. Stare it down. Own it. As brother Nietzsche said, being human is a complicated gig. So give that ol' dark night of the soul a hug. Howl the eternal yes!"


And as a bonus for today's letter, I wanted to include another fave:
Chip Douglas from the 1996 film, The Cable Guy. 


This has always been a fave movie of mine, and I adore Chip's character. Yes, the film is dark and the humor is considered black comedy, and maybe that's what I like about it, but Chip's character is so demented, it's like a train wreck... you just can't look away. Masterfully played by Jim Carrey, Chip comes complete with multiple quirks and a lisp, as well as some of the best movie lines ever (that I still use to this day.) He defintely has his layers, and if you want to know why his character is so wacky ... well, there's a backstory there, but it's much more fun if you watch the film. Chip is far too under-appreciated in my opinion. 


I'll leave you with the trailer if you're interested:


SO the theme for these two C characters today, is their rich and developed backstories that make  them who they are. One became a better person for it, the other ... well, he needed severe counseling. lol


How about you? Do you give your characters fully-realized backstories? How about plenty of quirks? Ever written a really quirky character before? And what do you think of these two guys Chris and Chip?

33 comments:

Mark R Hunter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark R Hunter said...

I'd forgotten how much I liked that show ...

Mark K said...

Northern Exposure - what a blast from the past! Loved that series. At least back then, the studios knew when to call it a day *cough*Lost*cough*.

That photo makes him look like Jesus with glasses. I always remember envying him for his good looks, cool voice and long hair - everything I don't have :)

Brinda said...

I love that Chris quote with "there's a little Darth Vader in all of us." :)

Heather Murphy said...

Ahh, Chris was one of my favorites and I loved that quote. He was always so insightful :)

Old Kitty said...

I thought Cable Guy one of Jim Carrey's best! I love his character - totally insane but profoundly complex too!

Thanks for the intro to Chris - he is a true survivor! Take care
x

Susan Roebuck said...

"Being human is a complicated task" oh how right he is!!! Love this view of characters - I'll check back every day to check on all the quirks, the more the merrier!

SA Larsenッ said...

I loved Northern Exposure! I think I watched every episode twice.

Giving my characters personal quirks is one of my favorite things to do. It gives, not only feel to each personality, but also to the story itself.

Kyra Lennon said...

That quote is fabulous!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Sounds like a good show but of course can't be heard here in the UK.
loved the quote.
See you tomorrow.

Yvonne,

Deana said...

Great characters! I loved Northern Exposure and the Cable Guy.
As for my characters I always have major backstory for them, but fitting it in, in just the right way is the harder part for me:)

M.J. Fifield said...

I've never seen The Cable Guy but I have a friend who references it so often I feel as though I've seen it.

I loved Northern Exposure though. That was a great show with some awesomely quirky characters.

M.J. Fifield
My Pet Blog

PT Dilloway, Superhero Author said...

The Cable Guy was a really underrated movie. I think its problem was that with Jim Carrey in it people wanted more slapstick.

My favorite exchange is when they go to Medieval Times and Matthew Broderick asks the waitress for a fork. And she says "There were no forks in medieval times so there are no forks in Medieval Times, would you like a refill on that Pepsi?"

And he says, "The didn't have forks but they had Pepsi?"

And then after that the duel set to Star Trek music is hilarious.

shelly said...

Back story is a little tricky when writing it into a novel.

I loved the Cable Guy and the whole premise. A needy little guy, wasn't he?

Shelly
http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com/

Matthew MacNish said...

Hey, I remember Northern Exposure!

Stephanie M. Hasty said...

i absolutely adore Northern Exposure, thanks for the wonderful post!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi PK,

I never watched Northern Exposure, but it sounds like a cool show...

As for the Cable Guy, well, I never understood why it was so popular. I'm glad you got it though...


I hope to see you soon!

Michael

Grammy said...

Hi, I really enjoyed Northern Exposure, too. Chris was the best character on there. Much better than the one who was a doctor. (Rob Lowe?)
Great show. Thanks for the reminder.
Ruby

Karen Walker said...

So is that John Corbett? Sooo cute
Karen

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

Very cool "C" characters!
Are you doing any other challenges this month? A lot of people are doing multiple things.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Humans are complicated!
Backstory is important because it provides motivation.

Mary Aalgaard, Play off the Page said...

I'm going to start using that phrase: "Howl the eternal yes!"

Play off the Page

DL Hammons said...

Another Northern Exposure reference. I'm getting the urge to rent the DVD's! :)

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Good idea for a theme. I'm trying to visit all the blogs in the A-Z Challenge.

Julie said...

Oh, how fun. I totally loved Northern Exposure! Humming the theme song in my head now. :)

farawayeyes said...

I love Northern Exposure, particularly Chris. I used to live in a town in Colorado that was pretty much like Cicely, Alaska, except no moose.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

You make me miss this show so much! Ah, Chris...

My C

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

I really liked Northern Exposure. Boy that rolls back the years.

Journaling Woman said...

I loved Northern Exposure. Now I'm yearning for it and need to see if Netflix can help me.

Teresa

McKenzie McCann said...

Chris in The Morning! YES! He's my favorite Northern Exposure character.

I adore him, and he really does have a lovely voice.

Savannah Chase said...

Chris is such a fantastic actor..Always been a fan of his...

Donna Yates said...

I loved Chris. He was my fav character on that show. I have a series of short stories with a quirky character. They're fun to write.

William Kendall said...

Ah, Chris, the all time great poet-philosopher of the far north. What a character, and John Corbett really played him so very well.