Monday, April 16, 2012

N is for Napoleon

                           DYNAMITE! 


Is this a character, or what??

Jon Heder as Napoleon Dynamite is just like a whiff of bad breath that makes you turn your nose up and wonder who the heck stinks so bad? What's so great about that, you ask?? Well, maybe becuase you know it's not your breath, that's what. You take comfort that you're in the clear, because somebody's got it worse. Oh, but what if it IS your breath? Oh well, now you know, so get that mouthwash and toothbrush ready and get to work.

All that is me trying to say, why do we love characters like this? And why do we root for them when they're so awkward and unlikable? Because, either we see a tiny sliver of ourselves in them, or because we recognize the fact that no matter who we are, life can always be worse. Or maybe it's just because everyone loves an underdog. And Napoleon Dynamite is the ultimate underdog.

If you've seen the movie, you know what I mean. If you haven't seen it, get it, watch it, love it. It's become my pacifier movie when life sometimes brings me down. I plop it in the player and veg, and every single time, I walk away feeling better. Try it sometime.

I leave you with a climactic clip from the movie to start your Monday and week right. (If you haven't seen the movie and plan to, don't watch this clip, just watch the whole movie.)


Thanks so much for stopping by here! Enjoy your day!

Any thoughts on Napoleon Dynamite? Did you love or hate the movie? It's a generational thing, I think. My parents hated it. How about you?

29 comments:

Stephen Tremp said...

I'll have to pass. They tried a cartoon version on Fox Saturday nights. Not sure if it was successful.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I was of the wrong age group so just didn't get the character or movie.

Mark K said...

I've heard mixed reports on this film, but will look out for it if it's doing the rounds on standard tv.

Talli Roland said...

I've never actually seen this movie. You've made me very curious now.

shelly said...

That was the most-bestest -stupidest movie ever.

Jess said...

I love this movie~ we own it! I'm such a sucker for quirky things like this. I love Wes Anderson movies, too, and I know those aren't for everyone. Have you ever seen Bottle Rocket or Rushmore?

elizabeth seckman said...

I liked it; but didn't fall in love like some people. It was enjoyable.

Karen Walker said...

Really?
Karen

Carla White said...

I also hated it and we're of a similar generation so not sure if it is a generational thing. I didn't think it was funny at all and I don't understand why so many people do.

mooderino said...

i liked it and thought it was very funny. There are a lot of pseudo-Indy movies about with the right look, manufactured kookiness and big studio money behind them, but this was a proper small labour of love and it showed.

The cartoon, not so much.

mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino
The Funnily Enough

M.J. Fifield said...

I spent most of this movie looking at it with squinted eyes thinking, "Huh?" but I have to admit, I loved that dance scene.

Cassie Mae said...

Love Napolean! He was the only reason I liked that show, lol.

Old Kitty said...

Awwww I'd have clapped at the end of his dance! Awwwww!!

Take care
x

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I tried to like this movie, I really did, but I just don't. There's some slightly funny parts, but I just thought it was baaaaaddd. Oh, well.

icedgurl said...

trekking your blog!!! never seen the movie... gonna check this out!

cheers!
..TREK..

Jay Noel said...

I love Napoleon...but I'm not sure why. I think it was the message: Just be yourself.

Plus the movie has a bunch of funny lines. You can go to a public place and say, "Gimme your tots" and somebody will know exactly what you're referencing.

Pk Hrezo said...

Love all the controversy here with this! So interesting to see the many different opinions.
@Jess... yep, Love Bottle Rockets and Rushmore!
@Jay...yep, "tots" "liger" "skills" "delicious bass" ... so many great lines!
I myself get tired of seeing the same cookie cutter MCs... I love watching a story about someone who marches to the beat of their own drum.
But I totally get why so many peeps don't connect with this character.

William Kendall said...

I'm of the generation this was aimed at, but the movie, the character, and the actor really rubs me the wrong way.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I am not a cinema goer so wouldn't have seen the film. Not sure whether it's over here in the UK.

Yvonne.

Johanna Garth said...

Never heard of this. Going to have to check it out!

Brinda said...

I love Napoleon Dynamite. My son did not.

Jenny S. Morris said...

I didn't even watch it, and it made my day. I could watch that scene over and over again. Oh, the greatness of watching him dance.

Jill Campbell said...

First time I saw this movie, I thought it was stupid. I kept wondering what the point was. Then I watched it late at night with a bunch of teenagers. Hilarious. Now I own it, have seen it several times, live it, quote it, yeah, it kind of grows on you like a fungus or a mold.

Trisha said...

Yeah, I think you have to have a certain kind of sense of humour to like this kind of movie ;)

Heather Murphy said...

I didn't like this movie when I watched it but then as I started remembering different scenes, I couldn't stop laughing! It's an acquired taste :) VOTE FOR PEDRO

Leslie Rose said...

When this movie came out there were a group of kids in my class that watched the dance until they had it down to perfection. Every lunch time they would perform and it was a hit every time.

Jeremy Bates said...

Were you aware that 'Napolean' was the original actor in the 5-minute short film?

Word has it that he was paid a mere $1,000 for the film.

Great movie.

Vote for Pedro.

Deana said...

You made my day with this post. I can remember my husband wanting to watch this and I did not at all. But from that very first bus scene I laughed my butt off and it has to be one of my favorite comedy movies by far!

Savannah Chase said...

The cartoon is just as funny as the movie..OMG, his dancing cracks me up.