Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ooops ... Late for Q ...On Time for R

Whoa, this is turning out to a mega busy week for me, and I'm just a hair behind ... um no, not harry behind ... sheesh. ;)

So I'm way late for my Q post and I'll start with that, then conclude with R. In keeping with my fave fictional character theme, I give you :

Q is for ...


Recognize this guy? Maybe the next picture will jar your memory ...


YES! Quint from Jaws. Of course the character originated with Peter Benchley's novel, but Robert Shaw really brought him to life onscreen. Quint was the Irish-blooded sea captain of the fishing boat, Orca, who was well known around Amity harbor for his sharking skills. Rough around the ages and tougher than nails. He weren't scared of any shark, no matter how big. After all, a fisherman had a job to do, and he had to eat.

My fave line from the film is from Quint: "I'll find him for 3, but I'll catch him and kill him for 10."

Plus, his monologue towards the end when he reveals his history on the USS Indianapolis is just brilliant. Here it is if you're interested:

Moving on ... (Yes, I know I'm a little early... Shhhh...)

R:


Recognize this character?

It's the Reverend Werewolf from Stephen King's Silver Bullet. Boy did I ever love this film when I was a kid. I never actually read this book, which was titled The Cycle of the werewolf, but this character at the time in the 1980s when it came out really pushed the envelope. A reverend who turned into a werewolf?? Yeah, I was all kinds of bewildered and bemused at the same time.

And another R character I just love:

Rose Nylund from the 1980s TV sitcom Golden Girls. The sweet old air head that lived with the smartass, the slut, and the old bitty. lol Man, do I love some Golden Girls. I was watching that show in high school when it was on prime time while other girls were watching Beverly Hills 90210. Rose, played by Betty White, was such a character! Her St. Olaf jokes will go down in history forever.

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'll be playing catch up all weekend checking out your blogs.

Any  thoughts on these characters? Or do you have a Q or R character to share?

21 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quint, in the movie or the book, such an exceptional character. Very memorable.

There's always Robin Hood....

William Kendall said...

Not to mention Ron Weasley....

Julie said...

I remember totally hiding my eyes when poor Quint got killed in Jaws. Great character!

I love Rose too, so funny. I haven't seen Silver Bullet but now I'm curious.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Great Q and R post:
I saw Jaws on the TV quite a few years ago.
Enjoyed reading your post as always.

Yvonne.

Suzi said...

Loved Jaws. Was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. Quint was a good guy.

thespotts said...

Rose Nylund was fabulous, and I loved her St. Olaf stories! I think I've watched that whole series through 4 or 5 times. It drives my husband crazy. :-)

Heather M. Gardner said...

Love, love, love that scene from Jaws. It makes the hair stand up on my arms even when I have seen it a hundred times.
I don't know the Reverend Werewolf. I'll have to look it up!
Thanks!
Heather

McKenzie McCann said...

I don't recognize either of them. >.< I feel so out of the loop.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As soon as you said Quint, I thought about the very scene you posted. I've only seen Silver Bullet once, but that was one messed up priest.

Jeremy Bates said...

Yeah, great movie and super character. I saw this flick in a Studio Pub, ate fish (haha) and tipped a few adult beverages. I am wondering who your S will be.

Brinda said...

Great pick for a Q!

Old Kitty said...

Golden Girls is up there with Frasier and Cheers for me!! And Rose is just adorable!!!

Oh but your Q is fab!!!! What a unique choice!! Brilliant! Take care
x

fOIS In The City said...

You might be playing catch-up but I love your choice of characters once more. Quint reminds me of the first time I saw the movie in a small, mini-theatre on Fire Island in NY. No matter how many times I saw him play other roles, his role of Quint always came back to me.

Of course, Rose was the bomb. I watched Golden Girls as it aired, and watch it still in reruns.

Did you know that there are more words in the English language that begin with the letter "S" than all the others? So I anxiously await how you will narrow down your choices :)

Jay Noel said...

Silver Bullet rocked! But wow, it's been YEARS. I think I was maybe 14 when I last caught it on late night TV.

I was a fan of the GG too, but I never told anyone.

Donna Yates said...

I've never been able to watch Jaws - not ever! But I've heard Quint was quite the character who really stood out.
I can't handle Stephen King books or movies either. lol But I do so love the character Rose Nylan.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I still enjoy an ep of Golden Girls from time to time. :D

cleemckenzie said...

Betty White amazes me with her long career and her ability to do almost anything in front of a camera and make me want to see more when she's finished.

Didn't see Silver Bullet. I'll put in on my list for Netflix.

Leslie Rose said...

Ah, Quint, cowboy of the sea. Jaws still makes me jump even though I've seen it dozens of times. Betty White, an American treasure, the woman can do no wrong. Hilarious.

Lexa Cain said...

I thought I was the only crazy who fell in love with Robert Shaw after seeing "Jaws." Something about those blue, blue eyes. That movie is one of my all-time favorites. Thanks for reminding me of it!
~ Laura C.
(YALitChat)

Tara Tyler said...

jaws was on last night! i love that guy!

and good old betty white! still kickin! i hope i'm that spry at 90!

Christine Rains said...

I'm a big Rose fan too. For some reason, when I think of R characters, I think of Rudiger from the original series of The Little Vampire. I use to watch it when I was young.