Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P is for ...

Hi there! Welcome or welcome back to my Blogging A-Z theme for the month: Fave Fictional Characters.
Today is letter P:
Priest,  AKA Abbe Farria from The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Why? Because he's the pithy mentor and I just have a soft spot for wise old teachers. Every hero needs one, and sometimes they come in the least likeliest of ways--mainly I think that's because all the good ones are already taken. lol. Seriously, the classic stories have used up all the images of wise mentors, so now it's up to us writers to think outside the box and create new ones.

But back to the Priest from Count of Monte Cristo--he was just the epitome of the role. So much to teach, and whom without, Edmond Dantes would have never succeeded as he did. The Priest held the treasure map, that much is true... and without knowing the priest, Edmond would've never had access to the trove of treasure buried away on some unknown island. BUT! The real treasure was in the knowledge the Priest passed on to him.

Now the book is a classic through and through, and one of my faves. There's also more than one film version, but I just adore any performance by Richard Harris, and him as the Priest was pure perfection.

The best part of the story (and film) is when the Priest is teaching Edmond in the cell. Here are a few lines that resonate:

PRIEST: In return of your help, I offer you something priceless.
EDMOND: My freedom?
PRIEST: No, freedom can be taken away, as you well know. I offer you my knowledge.


The Count of Monte Cristo is a story masterpiece, IMO

And as a bonus for P day, another fave character:

That's a whole lotta pig to love right there! And I do, I just love Piggy! She's my hero. ;)

How about you? Have a fave P character to share? Or any thoughts on my picks? I love to hear from you! Share anything you like ...

29 comments:

Shelly said...

Miss Piggy was my nickname in highschool. Boy! Did I hate highschool, too.

Talli Roland said...

Ah, the priest is so wise!

Hm, P. My brain just went blank!

Karen Walker said...

Very cool post, Pk
Karen

M.J. Fifield said...

Awesome selections for today, both of them.

William Kendall said...

The priest is indeed a wise man!

J. A. Bennett said...

Two awesome characters, I need to watch Monte Cristo again!

Jill Campbell said...

Love the Count of Monte Cristo. Definitely one of my faves. And who can resist Miss Piggy?

Johanna Garth said...

I love Miss Piggy too and Pollyanna was another childhood favorite.

Old Kitty said...

Poor Priest man! But Miss Piggy is my icon! Take care
x

Linda Jackson said...

Don't know much about the Priest Man, but I do love Miss Piggy. Who doesn't!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes, the 2002 movie version with Jim Caviezel was awesome. One of my favorite movies.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Has to be Miss Piggy!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I loved Miss Piggy on the TV,
Thanks for the memories.

Yvonne.

Tara Tyler said...

great p characters! from pleasantly unexpected to posh & outspoken!

Michelle said...

Funny! I was never a Miss Piggy fan.
My mind went blank til I read the comments....Pollyanna for me too :)

Kittie Howard said...

The Priest almost steals the movie the acting is so terrific. Sorry, PK, but I was never a big Miss Piggy fan. Haven't a clue why.

Leslie Rose said...

I recently heard on an interview that the inspiration for Miss Piggy was a truck driver. No wonder she has to fight so hard for her glam. Count of Monte Cristo is a fav of mine. I have a very old hardback edition that I treasure.

DeniseCovey_L_Aussie said...

Love the Count of Monte Christo and the priest steals the show. Ah, that miss Piggy! What a tart!

Denise

Trisha said...

I'm pretty sure this book is on my TBR shelf...physically on it right now. But I have so many books there that I can't be sure. haha

Iliadfan said...

I love mentor characters. Good choice!

Jeremy Bates said...

I have read the book at least 20 times because of my students assignments. It is definitely a classic. Yeah, and we writers have to think of ways a mentor can be introduced without sticking to the age old formula,

cleemckenzie said...

Sage advice, and well delivered as I recall from the film. Here are some kisses for Miss Piggy. That enchantress is timeless.

Siv Maria said...

Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorites..literature and film :)

fOIS In The City said...

PK, I think I've missed part of your alphabet of late. Love your choice for P ... love that you are taking most of your letters from characters in books and movies.

To be a bit silly, I will share my favorite P character when I was a little girl ... my grand heroine ... Pippi Longstocking, by Astrid Lingren. Only three short books, but a legacy for little girls to treasure :)

Savannah Chase said...

Love me some Miss P..she is just fab.

Brinda said...

I love Ms. Piggy. She has spunk!

James Garcia Jr. said...

Great choice, PK. I own the book, but was never really able to enjoy it the way I did that classic film. I totally agree with you about Harris. He's very missed.

-Jimmy

Donna Yates said...

I think Richard Harris did the best job he could when acting, and he didn't let us down in that role. As for Miss Piggy, I love her.

Christine Rains said...

Miss Piggy! Gotta love her. :)