Saturday, April 21, 2012

S is for ...

So it seems Blogger has a new design for posting. It'll take some getting used to, that's for sure. Happy Saturday! And how appropriate that S day falls on Saturday. Ah, it's the little things!

In keeping with my fave fictional characters A-Z theme, today I share with you one of my fave  characters beginning with the letter S:


Sawyer from the TV series Lost

Now, before you jump to conclusions that this is some superficial post on how hot he is and all that, let me explain why his character resonates with me. Yes, I admit, it doesn't hurt that he's rather easy on the eyes, but it's the way his character was developed that had women around the world swooning for him.

Well, being the analyzer that I am when it comes to what make characters and stories work, I came up with a few conclusions as to why Sawyer was such a hit, aside from his obvious physical attributes.

I only just watched the series last year on the DVD sets, so I really got to follow all the characters' arcs closely, and I found myself more interested in Sawyer (AKA James Ford) than anyone else. And after a little research online, I learned that he was pretty much everyone's fave character on Lost. Interesting.

Put the actor Josh Holloway in a romantic Fabio-type story where he's a valiant horseman waging war to save his love and ... YAWN. Boring stuff. BUT! Put him in the role of Sawyer ... a sleazeball who watched his parents die when he was a child, has spent his life conning people for a living, speaks with an unpolished Southern American twang, sports a cocky red-neck air about him, doesn't look out for nobody but himself, knows how to defend himself 'cause that's all he's really got anyway ... and you've got the makings of an interesting character.

When Lost started out, Sawyer was someone we loved to hate. He clashed with everyone and made his own rules. Right away, interesting. We had low expectations of him because he was such a lowlife anyway. But continue to put that lowlife in situations where he had to grow and make difficult choices, and watch his arc start to develop over time, and you've hooked your audience. Each little glimpse we got into the guy Sawyer could be if he wanted to, we believed there was hope. Make him stumble, and the hope is dashed, but we still keep following along on the edge of our seats because we now know there's that sliver of a good guy inside ... and we want him to nourish it and blossom.

Besides that, the fact that Sawyer was a sleazeball con-man who loved to read was just genius. He always had a book in his hands and would often spout out lines from classic novels which was so far off what his character's stereotype would've been. But that's why it was so great! That's what we should strive for with our own characters--those little quirks that just bring them to life. And, well, if they just happen to be good looking ... I'm not complaining. ;)


How about you? Any thoughts on Sawyer or Lost? Or did you have a fave character from the series? Maybe you don't agree with my thoughts, and that's okay, I love a good debate! Please share ...

34 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Good S post.
I seem to have been changed to the new blogger. will get some getting used to.
Enjoyed your post.

Yvonne.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm lost on this post because I never watched Lost. I think I saw the first couple, and the end of the first series. Hubby watched them all, so I'd walk in sometimes and get completely confused!

Kyra Lennon said...

You know how to get a girl's attention lol!

Sawyer is an amazing character - and not bad to look at either! ;)

Talei said...

Sawyer is a great character, a little mysterious and yup - that designer stubble doesn't hurt the appeal! xo

Stephen Tremp said...

I haven't seen the series Lost. No reason other than I simply don't have time to watch a lot of TV.

Karen Walker said...

So, do you mean that blogger isn't posting pre-scheduled blogs or is there some other thing I'm not aware of. It's not posting my blogs at all unless I do it automatically.
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've not watched Lost yet. Been meaning to catch the entire show through NetFlix.

shelly said...

I never got into the show. But I do watch The Walking Dead and Fringe. Talk about unique cahracters and plots.

DL Hammons said...

The bad guy characters who we want to do the right thing is solid gold...in any medium! :)

M.J. Fifield said...

I never watched a lot of LOST but when I did, I always enjoyed his character.

Roger Lawrence said...

Sticking with the S's, sort of.7, or Seven of nine in Star Trek voyager is hot.
Sawyer never did it for me.

Jay Noel said...

(Sigh). I'm one of the few that never watched Lost. Thinking about going back and watching it via Netflix, though.

Iliadfan said...

I completely agree with you about Sawyer. The doctor was hot, too, but not nearly as fascinating. The first time we saw Sawyer with a book, I knew he was going to be far more interesting than your typical fictional conman.

Though a superficial post on how ridiculously hot he is would have gotten cheers from me, too. ;)

Jess said...

I totally agree! Sawyer is awesome!! We've been watching LOST on Netflix (I think they've got all of the seasons on there!) and it's so much fun.

He's got so much character to him and another thing that makes him great is that he's a little bit unpredictable. You're never ENTIRELY sure what he's going to do.

Great S post!!

Donna Yates said...

You know, I've never watched this show, so I'll go along with what you said. What I love is how you analyzed his character. What a great trait to have - analyzing characters. It's got to help you as you develop your own.

Sally K Witt said...

I watched LOST on Netflix all at once. I really prefer that now to weekly episodes. If the story is good, it is nice to see it all together (without commercials!). Plus, you get so much more out of the characters and the stories.

Totally agree on Sawyer. Great post. I just kept wondering what everyone SMELLED like - shows that I totally suspended my disbelief and got caught up in the story! LOL

Cassie Mae said...

I loved LOST, but Sawyer was just not someone I liked on that show. Though his character arch I think was one of the strongest out of the main group of characters.

Brinda said...

Yes, he was one of my favorites. And not just because he's hot.

Leslie Rose said...

I tried to like LOST. I really did. I really really did. Never could get into it. Somebody told me to sit down and watch the DVDs one after another and I'd get hooked. Haven't tried that yet.

DeniseCovey_L_Aussie said...

I confess I didn't want to get into watching Lost as I knew it'd be another addiction I couldn't afford. However, as writers, I believe we can learn so much from tv and movies regarding story, characters and action.

I keep reverting back to the old blogger interface and it lets me so far. I can't easily find where to edit posts in the new set up but I guess I'll eventually have to sweat it out.

Denise

kmckendry said...

We just found Lost this year and we are hooked. And yes Sawyer is a great character not to mention great to look at! :)

Heather Murphy said...

Ah yes, Sawyer was my favorite character in LOST. Not only is he gorgeous, but I loved his delivery of sarcasm. Behind his tough exterior, he was really a softie :)

Talli Roland said...

Gosh,I kind of forgot Sawyer and lost! But he is uber sexy. I like a man who reads!

Julie Musil said...

Oh, good pick! I loved Sawyer AND Lost. My favorite character was Jack. So full of conflict and intrigue. I'm still a little flustered over the ending of that show. I'm still wondering what was real, what wasn't, and how the heck did it really end? Maybe I just didn't want it to end :/

Savannah Chase said...

Fantastic S...I loved Sawyers character on Lost..

McKenzie McCann said...

I saw the new layout too, and it freaked me out. I don't know where anything is now.
I never watched Lost. It collided with some other TV show I liked so never got around to it.

Trisha said...

I've only seen the first/second season of Lost...but I intend to watch more of it someday!

Nas Dean said...

Oh! Swoon! I loved Sawyer in Lost! His looks....sigh!

Just when we thought we knew all about blogger- it does it again!

Jeremy Bates said...

Oops, sorry, I have never seen the show before.

Christine Rains said...

Fabulous S post. Sawyer was my favorite from LOST too. He really grew as a character, more than any of them. I still don't see what anyone saw in Kate, though!

Melissa Sugar said...

Well, I feel totally lost again. It seems that once again, I forgot that Saturday was a day to post, so I find myself a letter behind. I am also lost because I am one of those who must live in a cave and who has never watched Lost. I still think he is very hot.

And I am lost about the new blogger posting that you mentioned. Apparently, I am just totally and completely lost.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Don't have the series over here, but he looks great to me!

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

I wasn't really a huge fan of "Lost" and I spoiled the ending for myself (which I am glad I did).

William Kendall said...

Sawyer was one of those characters who came off initially as a complete bastard, but became all the more intriguing the more you got to see him. Josh Holloway really made him a memorable character.