Monday, May 21, 2012

Confessions of a Blogoholic

I haven't done one of these in a looong time. My confession posts are just little snippets from my life--insight, if you will, into my zany existence. 

Today's confessions ... wedding crashers. Nope, not the movie (which I never actually saw because it came out at a time when I was weary of over the top comedies.) But I have my own real life wedding crasher story, starring yours truly. :o

I was the maid of honor at one of my BFFs wedding and was dating my hubby at the time. Mid 20s, and we had actually just started dating a few months before, but were starting to get somewhat serious. Anyway, the wedding reception was at the college located downtown--a gorgeous campus with architecture that dazzles anyone who gazes upon it. Really and truly a work of art with reception halls so beautiful, you don't have to add decorations.

A popular place for wedding receptions, as you may have guessed.

Not-yet-hubby and I had such a great time at BFF's reception, we didn't wanna leave when it was over. So what'd we do? Found another reception to go to. We moseyed ourselves across the corridor to another smaller reception hall and noted the names of the bride and groom from the sign out front. We decided we were friends of the bride, Kim.

Oh yeah, Kim and us went way back. And once we saw the buffet spread awaiting consumption, we knew we were staying. But we needed aliases for ourselves . We came up with the following:

Ned Schnitt and Dorothy Schlemmel

Are those great names, or what? So Ned and Dorothy were also delighted to find the open bar at our disposal. We smiled and nodded through the crowd, helped ourselves to the gourmet buffet (I'm talkin' shrimp and lobster and Beef Wellington ...yum!) And of course tipped the bartender for our free cocktails ... hey, we weren't total freeloaders.

We danced on the dance floor and had a marvelous time .... until .... dun dun dun ....

BUSTED! If you're sharper than we were, you probably already realized one small clue that we didn't belong there. I was still in my bridesmaid dress from the other wedding. We realized we were getting dirty looks. I was obviously not in the same burgundy bridesmaid dresses as Kim's posse. Mine was long and lavender and pretty darn obvious that it wasn't just a party dress, but a bridesmaid dress.

So, ho-hum, Ned and Dorothy took the hint and smiled big cheesy grins all the way out of the reception hall and skedaddled. Lucky, for us we'd already enjoyed the lovely fare from Kim and her newly beloved husband.

To this day, at random times, Hubby and I still call each other Ned and Dorothy.

How about you? Have any wedding crasher stories to share? Or anything else? How about your writing? How's it coming along?     

35 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Pk, that is terrible! And very clever. Least you enjoyed a drink, some food, and dancing before you were caught.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Oooh, I like it... I'd never dare do it, but I like that you did :-)

Old Kitty said...

I await my first wedding invitation so I may try this move! LOL!! I promise to not call me and future partner Ned and Dorothy.
:-)

Take care
x

Julie said...

What a funny story, I love it! I wouldn't have thought of the bridesmaid's dress either. Ned and Dorothy should have continued on with more adventures LOL. :)

Carolyn Abiad said...

I couldn't have done it, but I enjoyed reading your adventure. :)

William Kendall said...

PK, you've got me falling about laughing!

Andrea Teagan said...

great story!

you know.. if you had crashed my wedding I would have thought it was funny and not cared at all. Its a wedding a time of celebration after all :)

Andrea

M.J. Fifield said...

That's awesome!

I've never crashed a wedding or a party or anything like that. Probably because I really just don't like big crowds of people and avoid them whenever possible.

T. Drecker said...

Terrific! Hats off to you!
I could never do anything like that. That little angel on my shoulder would bop the demon on the other side in the nose.

Kathryn said...

:O!!! You did NOT do that! What guts! I totally would have chickened out.

Johanna Garth said...

How fun! Love the aliases and yes, I might have been known to sneak into a few places in my past ;)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

This was great to read.
Well done on an excellent post.

Yvonne.

Lexa Cain said...

You party-crashers are braver than me -- what an adventure! -- but it goes to show how you and your hubby were on the same wavelength and enjoying each others company even at the beginning of your relationship. That's adorable!

Marsha Sigman said...

I am so impressed by your adventure!lol

I would totally do that. I could be Beatrice Scrumshoe, distant cousin of the groom (guys never remember all their cousins).

LTM said...

LOL! You are so hilarious. You were in your bridesmaid's dress from the other wedding??? Silly Dot! :D

I've never been that brave, but you make it sound fun. And it's a hilarious memory. Yay for good times! :o) <3

Libby said...

That was cute, though I was hoping someone would approach you. :)

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I wish I had enough guts to do something like that!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

This is hilarious. Nope, never did anything like that. My husband and I aren't gutsy enough.

Robin said...

So funny! I haven't ever crashed a wedding, though for that food it might be worth it:)

Donna Yates said...

What a sweet story. I loved it.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

You are a riot! I'd never have the guts to do that. :)

Jess said...

OMG that's hilarious! I love that!! And those are awesome names... Ned and Dorothy haha cute :)

Melissa Sugar said...

Hilarious story. I have to admit that I am guilty of this as well. My story is not nearly as fun. My ex husband, (then boyfriend) and I were staying in a hotel during law school (I cannot even remember why we were there), but there was a wedding reception in one of the ball rooms and yup, you guessed it-we crashed it. The food was so-so , nothing like your experience. We had a few drinks and much like you we hauled butt out of there when we started getting dirty looks. We were not nearly as creative as you. We didn't plan ahead and we didn't have our a/k/a's worked out. It was fun, (while we were young). I would never have the confidence to try something like that at my age, but it is fun to remember how invincible we think we are when we are young.

Savannah Chase said...

Fantastic story...You need to crash one wedding in your life..I've yet to do it..LOL

Paul Tobin said...

Great story, made me laugh.

McKenzie McCann said...

Ha ha. I had no idea you'd ever done something like that, Pk! Or should I say Dorothy?

James Garcia Jr. said...

That's too funny! Ok, Dorothy (*grins*). No, I have never done anything like that. I would love to make a confession or two, but first want to check the statute of limitations before I do. ;)

As writing goes, I am more than pleased with that. I have been getting about 1000 words a day in and today over 1700. Sadly, now I'm not reading. *snaps fingers*

One of these days I'll figure out a fool-proof plan for being able to do it all... Right?

Tace care, P.K.

-Jimmy

jamieayres said...

LOL . . . although I've never wedding crashed my YA characters did in my last ms as part of their bucket list. I had fun writing it and got lotsa good comments on that part from betas:)

alexia said...

That's hilarious! I've crashed some parties, but not a wedding.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

I've never crashed a party. If I didn't like the bride I could always put on my wedding dress and crash the wedding!

I kid, I kid...

Carol Riggs said...

LOL, oh wow, how brash and brave of you. Would make an interesting scene in a YA novel, too! :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, PK,

NO, I never crashed a wedding. I must admit you are pretty ballsy... LOL.

Writing? What's that?

I can't begin to think of it until I return home. It looks like late June now.

Love to see you soon. Let me know if you have some free time within the next few weeks.

Medeia Sharif said...

Ha ha. That was daring and funny. I wouldn't do such a thing, but I'm glad it was a blast for you.

Leslie Rose said...

Note to self: Bring change of gown for crashing. I wonder how many of the reception pix you turned up in.

Cally Jackson said...

Oh my goodness, that is HILARIOUS! I'm sad to say I've never crashed a wedding myself - actually, I don't think I know anyone who has. Not that they've told me anyway. So I'm happy to say you're the only wedding crasher I know. P.S. If you're back in the mood for over-the-top comedy, the movie really is very funny. :-)